TomTom map update server trouble in Canada

TomTom Model(s)
Hi all,
Has anybody tried to purchase a map upgrade and been successful? Tomtom has offered me the latest map and one year of map updates for 71.80 CDN, so I tried to make the purchase and I get a message telling me there's a server error. Everytime!!! Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks, all.

Call CS at 866-486-6866. It was just a couple of weeks ago that TomTom made a big deal of the 'new' Canadian site for getting maps.

Thanks, DHN.
I just got off the phone (45 mins) with Tomtom CS. According to CS, in Canada we can only puchase ACCESSORIES from the Canadian site for our devices. We CANNOT buy or update our maps. They said "maybe in the future". I was told they have no facilities to accept payment for maps (but accessories they do??!!) from Canadians. It was recommended I to go to tomtommapshop and puchase from there, but the map available was 70.00, not the 31.80 offered through "Home". Where this site is located, I don't know.
Maybe CS doesn't even know what they're talking about...very possible.
So, to all of us in Canada that have outdated maps, tough.
Tomtom...not a good impression.

Funny, I've purchased maps and I'm in Canada.

Try changing the site to USA and see if you can carry through. Or try calling and hopefully get a CS who knows better.

I have the same problem. I want to sign up for the map update service, can put things in cart, as soon as I confirm purchase, I get an error message. Have been in touch with CS but they haven't been able to solves this problem. I can update, but can't buy. As the other member stated, there is an incredible sale on that I would like to take advantage of but the Go 630 gives the same error message every time.
I hope CS solves this problem soon, this is very frustrating, might have to go back to reading maps (gasp!)

Many problems updating maps and paying

I have had 2-3 days of total frustration when trying to update my Go Live 950 with the current map promotion ($71 or so). Problem 1. Malformed Item info:
name = North America 2GB
Solution : I had to move some map files to another directory and the error has gone away.
Problem 2 ERROR: 236/#https://community.tomtom.com/payment/initiatePayment: Error from server: %2AIT payment server returned an unexpected error%2A
Solution - I changed my account settings to the US web site and changed my profile to say I was in the US (I am in the US but I am Canadian).
Problem 3 -The zip code that you entered in your account details doesn%27t exist. Please try again using the correct zip code
Solution - First of all my zip code is correct. I tried both forms the short and long form. It has been two days since I reported the bug and no reply yet from TomTom Corp.
Maybe all of these problems are because I bought the GPS in France ? It worked great there, especially all the live features.
Don, Calgary, Alberta

Last edited:
One problem is that model was never meant for North America whatsoever. Especially Canada which does not provide LIVE services for any models at all (The US has 2 LIVE models).

Going to Europe ?

Anybody going to Europe and want to buy my TomTom Go Live 950? We spent 8 months in France and the TomTom was great. We used the live traffic updates, real time weather reports and google search to find nearby restaurants. We were canal boating for 3 weeks and used the TomTom all time, however it really was a bit perplexed when we were on a canal close to a real road.
Don

Not for Canada ?

Mr. Super Moderator, I've been thinking about your comment that my TomTom Go Live 950 was never meant for Canada whatsoever. The trouble with this statement is the device came with Canada, USA and European Maps, so should I not be able to update them ?
I don't really care about the live services in North America.
Thanks for your feedback.
Don

Mr. Super Moderator, I've been thinking about your comment that my TomTom Go Live 950 was never meant for Canada whatsoever.
Don
What he was trying to explain is that the 950 was never sold in the North American market, and the Live part of it wasn't designed to interoperate with our particular GSM system. So while sold in Europe and used there, it all made sense - the Live would work. But since we're on a rather different system here, it wasn't going to give you Live if you brought it across the ocean, even though it does have both sets of maps installed.

Further, TomTom's web site will always attempt to keep your business directed at the portion of the server associated with your geography. While that works out most of the time, there are times when it's a big a PITA as trying to play a regionalized DVD from home in a DVD player on another continent. No 950 would have been expected to appear in Canada for map purchases, although I'd certainly agree that in this global market we live in, there's no reason at all to make assumptions of that sort.

Understanding that you'd be scrapping the Live services, there's no reason at all that TomTom tech support shouldn't be able to help you straighten out your account such that you can order and receive new maps here on the NA continent. for your 950. It's not like the 950 wasn't fully expected to have updates purchased for North American maps... it did come with them!

I'd hammer on tech support until they understand what you're doing and can get you "relocated" correctly.

Last edited:
Success Map Updated

I have managed to update my Go Live 950 with new North American maps. I am physically in the US so I have had to do the following:
1. Create a new tomtom account with a US email and US address. This is the key step.
2. Start TomTom home on my computer and connect the gps device and associate it with my new account.
3. Click on add new maps and decide what to buy
4. Checkout with a US address and a US credit card.
5. Download the new maps.

Note that I had to nuke my Canadian account with a Canadian address and email address.

The support rep said I could download new map updates from Canada but to buy anything I had to be in the US.

It appears there seems to be a few solutions to this problem of purchasing maps, but here's mine.
After following all the wrong "solutions" from TomTom, such as changing my location, opening a new account, etc..., I read somewhere that it was the credit card company that was producing the server errors because they weren't allowing the transaction to go through. So I tried a different credit card and I got through and was able to download my maps.
It's been mentioned that I may have gotten through to the European website to make the transaction and that I may be charged the 20% VAT even though my record shows that I'll be billed only 80.30 Canadian, taxes included.
Anyway, even with the 20% added, it works out to be close to the regular price of a new map and 1 year of quarterly map updates which is what I got.
I'll post an update when I get my credit card bill.
Cheers!

ditto

So i have been able to update my maps before but not since I tried again around December/January. There was a special price and I thought I would do it. No such luck, and zero working solutions from TomTom support. How on earth I was duped into buying a device that I cannot even get updates or support for in Canada must be pure marketing. I will do more research next time I buy a GPS.:mad: TomTom is lamelame.

Can you supply a little more detail of what's happening when you try?

Ask a Question