TomTom GO 720 Photos

I just joined, but I thought I might be able to clear up some things in this thread. I've been waiting for the GO 720 to come out for months, and I was checking every day to see if it was in.

They came into my local Best Buy on July 29th, and I bought one on July 30th. It looked like they only had two of them though, and they had none on display. I haven't been able to find any information about what types of SD cards were supported online or in any of the documentation, so I called TomTom today.

The woman who answered the phone sounded really surprised that I had a 720, which I thought was weird since they've been out for a few days. I asked her why the 720 isn't in the drop-down menu in the Support section of the website, and she told me why she had sounded so surprised when I told her I had a 720.

She said that TomTom called off the distribution of the 720 for now, probably until the end of August. She said some Best Buys didn't get the message, or didn't listen or something, and put out a few of them anyway, which is how I got one. She said nobody is supposed to have them, but a very few people did manage to get them. She tried to tell me that the reason that they aren't selling them now is because "the website wasn't ready" with all the support options, but that doesn't sound realistic to me. She also cautioned me to not connect it to my computer unless it was absolutely necessary, which also sounds extremely fishy. As someone who spend years working in Tech Support, it sounds like something more serious is wrong, but I haven't really had many problems with it so far.

If anyone has any questions or wants screenshots of something, I can provide them.

That is strange...

About the delay, I emailed a local shop (www.radioworld.ca, which by the way is selling the 720 for $529 CAD) replied back they won't be getting them in for at least another 3 weeks. At first I thought that they are just a small supplier which get low priority but reading the post perhaps there is something wrong??

We'll see what happens.

Last edited:
This is strange indeed! I did see it on display at BestBuy but didn't ask if they had them instock. I didn't get any help there aslo, typical BB.

I bought mine today

BB had three 720s in the case plus one on display, in the north Nashville store. I am shocked that a CS rep would say something like that. If there was a problem with their web site not being ready then they should not have out any units into the distribution chain. Very odd indeed.

Welcome aboard!
congrats on the purchase.
I don't think there is anything wrong with the units. Looks like just Support information is unavailable.

It could be that the Map Share part of the Support on the website isn't ready. Since that would be much more complicated to set-up then the normal support links.

Welcome aboard!
congrats on the purchase.
I don't think there is anything wrong with the units. Looks like just Support information is unavailable.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the units, or they wouldn't be holding them at the retailers. They would have had to recall them, most likely. And besides, mine seems to be working fine.

I'm thinking it seems more like maybe they need time to make a patch or something. It seems a little strange that it would take an entire extra month beyond what they'd planned simply to add it to the support section of the website.

EDIT: There's also them suggesting I not connect it to the computer, which doesn't really have anything to do with the website.

Last edited:
Well, someone from TomTom called me and left me a message stating that they have been officially released, so I have no idea what was up with the CS rep I spoke to. :confused:

Well, someone from TomTom called me and left me a message stating that they have been officially released, so I have no idea what was up with the CS rep I spoke to. :confused:

Believe it or not, the CS reps are usually the last ones to find out information. I think in this case, the CS rep was just misinformed.

Ask a Question