TomTom GO 720 Photos

When it does come out (bestbuy here in canada) i will be the first to buy one and review it and disect it.

heck you can already do TTS, mp3, movies, games on a Go 510 so im pretty sure the 520 and 720 will do this and more.

The GO700 *can* do all this as well (has all the built-in hardware required), and even has the extra hard drive space to do it (about 1GB free space), but the current version of the TomTom software will not allow the GO700 to do these extra functions. No MP3 playing, no photos, no TTS, no movies (not even with the Makayama player, although I've heard that MobileNova's player will work). TomTom doesn't seem to be in the habit of enabling old hardware to its fullest capabilities, likely because it's an enticement to upgrade (in my situation) to the GO710 or GO720. But I just bought my GO700 a little over a year ago, and I still see them for sale in retail stores (so even if they're discontinued, there's still stock being sold), so I'm not sure why they software upgrades don't seem to support the old hardware to its fullest, but it does seem to be feature limited for us older GO users.

Here's hoping the latest software upgrade does more for us.

just got my go 910 a week ago. talking with the rep at CC he said hes expecting his shipment end of july. I went ahead and got the 910 in hopes that I Can exchange for the 720 when it is released. He said as long as it comes in july or first week of aug we should be ok and good for the exchange. plus I got the extended warrenty which is a protection.
the only complaint I have with the 910 is it wont stay up in these hot summer days its very druppy. I wish I could get it to stay up so I Could actually see it.

Hello and welcome. Are you locking the mount to the 2nd lock?
see my signature for a video on how it is done.

Can't wait for the update! I'm chopping at the bit!

LOL! Well fine, you wait for the software update and I'll wait for the 720 :)

I agree the software will be interesting to see, but I really want to have some first hand experience with the map share. I think it will be a lot of fun to play with...

Pedro it was what you say. I forgot to click it in the second part.
thanks amillion.

any more word on a definite launch date or street date of the 720 it looks awsome

I ran across a couple of interesting things that I don't recall seeing elsewhere over on gpsreview.net.

For example when navigating to an address, you are now prompted for the state, first and independently of the city. For many people this will help streamline the process of navigating to an address, especially for those located in places like “Greenville” which exists in many states.

Brand logos for certain POIs are now displayed on the map which they call “brand icons”. So instead of driving by a bank and seeing a generic bank icon, you might see the logo for Bank of America.

There are also settings which allow you to override automatic zooming while navigating a route.

Tim, who writes for Gpsreview.net also had this to say-
I can’t completely clarify what the auto zoom on/off feature does at this point. I just recall a setting whereby you could specify autozoom on (the default) or off. If it is to be taken literally, then I would assume that when you approach an intersection it no longer zooms in tighter… in other words it might not zoom out further during normal driving. But again, I can't say for sure until I get my hands on one again.

Last edited:
Here is tomtom's press release from last month. It also states about the poi icons. Maybe they got this idea from all the custom POIs members make? :D

FWIW, YourNav is reporting that the 720s (and probably 520s) are being shipped to various retailers and should be available early next week. However, they caution that the initial shipments are small and perhaps intended to cover pre-orders.

If so, shouldn't be long before user reviews of the new TomTom begin showing up all over the Web...

I just bought the 910 two weeks ago and it is definately going back!! I want a 720....and I want it now!!:D

Sorry I am as my wife and Sis-in-Law say a real nut for any kind of gadget:eek:

With all these features though, I am not clear just how you can do all of this without having a 20 GB drive like the 910 has. My 910 has only the sample pictures and MP3 files plus all the nav items and that fills up 6 GB. A 2 GB SD card isn't going to hold all of that!:eek:

thats what I was thinking. I hope they are not on back order. When I bought the ONE, their ONE clip was on back order and I had to wait over a week :(

With all these features though, I am not clear just how you can do all of this without having a 20 GB drive like the 910 has. My 910 has only the sample pictures and MP3 files plus all the nav items and that fills up 6 GB. A 2 GB SD card isn't going to hold all of that!:eek:

From what I gather from postings elsewhere, the 720 will handle SD cards up to 4GB (although probably not higher-capacity SDHC cards).

I just bought the 910 two weeks ago and it is definately going back!! I want a 720....and I want it now!!:D

Sorry I am as my wife and Sis-in-Law say a real nut for any kind of gadget:eek:

It is rather strange that they are calling it a TomTom GO720 rather than a GO520, because the original GO700 used a mini 2.5GB internal hard drive rather than a SD card. I believe the GO710 (not sold in the USA) had a SD card slot rather than a hard drive, so I guess they've moved everything except the GO9XX series to SD cards.

That's a shame because I rather like the GO700's little hard drive. Even with all the maps of North America loaded on it as well as custom POI's, I still have 1GB left that could easily hold maps of Europe, MP3s, even a movie or 3. I think they should've put a 4GB hard drive in it, like what's in the Palm LifeDrive. I frankly think they've downgraded the GO700 series, making it closer to the GO500 series than it's previous place between the GO500 series and the GO9XX series.

Ask a Question