TomTom GO 720 Photos

It is rather strange that they are calling it a TomTom GO720 rather than a GO520, because the original GO700 used a mini 2.5GB internal hard drive rather than a SD card. I believe the GO710 (not sold in the USA) had a SD card slot rather than a hard drive, so I guess they've moved everything except the GO9XX series to SD cards.

That's a shame because I rather like the GO700's little hard drive. Even with all the maps of North America loaded on it as well as custom POI's, I still have 1GB left that could easily hold maps of Europe, MP3s, even a movie or 3. I think they should've put a 4GB hard drive in it, like what's in the Palm LifeDrive. I frankly think they've downgraded the GO700 series, making it closer to the GO500 series than it's previous place between the GO500 series and the GO9XX series.

Chris,
Do you know what the internal firmware memory capacity is for the 720? That could make a difference and of course it looks like the US & Canada version will not have the European maps installed either (or am I reading that wrong?) so that will cut down on required space. STill I agree with you an internal hard drive or flash drive with say 10 to 20 GB would be so much nicer.:D

It is rather strange that they are calling it a TomTom GO720 rather than a GO520, because the original GO700 used a mini 2.5GB internal hard drive rather than a SD card. I believe the GO710 (not sold in the USA) had a SD card slot rather than a hard drive, so I guess they've moved everything except the GO9XX series to SD cards.

That's a shame because I rather like the GO700's little hard drive. Even with all the maps of North America loaded on it as well as custom POI's, I still have 1GB left that could easily hold maps of Europe, MP3s, even a movie or 3. I think they should've put a 4GB hard drive in it, like what's in the Palm LifeDrive. I frankly think they've downgraded the GO700 series, making it closer to the GO500 series than it's previous place between the GO500 series and the GO9XX series.

yes but your GO700 became the GO910 with the HD.

The 720 must be almost here: Amazon has changed its message to "Shipping Soon" (from "Usually ships in 2-4 weeks"). I take this to mean they've been received in their warehouses and they're doing the last-minute stuff before including them in the ship-to-customer process.

In the press release they stated that there would be an optional RDS-TMC traffic information receiver but on tomtom.com the accessories page has no mention of it. Is there any news on when the TMC receiver will be available?

Last edited:
$599 not bad, as a few years ago I paid $1,200.00 for my Garmin 2610

on my way to teleatlas soon woo hoo !!

I'm just saying the price is roughly $70 higher than our friends across the border. I'm still going to buy the unit though...LOL

BTW: Anyone see pre-orders on the Canadian side?

oh really? I just recalled $600 for the GO 910 when I was looking for my ONE ($500)... hmm.. maybe the 510 was $600? i dunno

Well most places in canada are selling the Go 510 for $399 and the 910 for $499. Nothing local where i live yet so im assuming their late july means monday or tuesday :(

If the 720 is gunna be $599, im not gunna upgrade my Go510. Not worth $200 for whats there. Ill just wait for the new home program to come out next month

Well most places in canada are selling the Go 510 for $399 and the 910 for $499. Nothing local where i live yet so im assuming their late july means monday or tuesday :(

If the 720 is gunna be $599, im not gunna upgrade my Go510. Not worth $200 for whats there. Ill just wait for the new home program to come out next month

Well, ya but last Aug when I bought my ONE, they were definitely not $399 and $499.

Yeah just upgrade the software first. By January, the price will drop :)

I'm curious if new TT GO720 it's compatible with old maps. I intend to buy from US, but I living in Eastern Europe. Who buy first Go720, please, try to put 675.1409 map of any country from Europe.

Ask a Question