Tom-Tom backup/upgrade etc

Hello peeps,

Have not been here for a while, had trouble remembering my username and password :)

Ok, my go630 !

I need to do a few things and wanted your advises

1> Favorites, can I back it up or export them only? I would hate to loose them

2> Upgrade: I want to upgrade to the next map as I think mine is out of date; however, if anyone can check if for Canada there is a lot of difference my map is version: 850.2781

3> Also If I upgrade will I loose my Favorites
and lastly, if I just copy the SIM (drag and drop to my hard drive) is that good enough for a backup

many thankxs

Adrian

Make a copy of the contents of the device using Explorer, not Home, before you consider any updates. See here: https://www.tomtomforums.com/thread...-to-the-computer-and-how-to-restore-it.17864/.

Then you should be able to copy the mapsettings.cfg file from the backed up map folder to the new map folder when you upgrade.

That said, many prefer converting their favourites to a custom poi file that can be used on any map update. See here: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=71517&highlight=

Now then, the 850 map is at least four yeas old. The current one is 915 so I'm sure there are changes including a more current poi data file and IQ routing data. For what part of Canada in particular?

Finally, when you connect to Home, BEFORE considering purchasing a new map, go to Update My Unit (2nd page) to see what is offered. If an application is (the last is 9.510) then install ONLY that. Disconnect properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon. Reconnect and see if further app updates are offered. If so, repeat the install, disconnect, connect process till no further app updates are available before proceeding.

thankxs DHN, I saw the FAQ (chould have checked) :)

so the my favorites are held in the mapsettings.cfg file? will look at the custom poi info as well

I'm in Ontario, will do the update my unit,

many thankxs for prompt reply

Make a copy of the contents of the device using Explorer, not Home, before you consider any updates. See here: https://www.tomtomforums.com/thread...-to-the-computer-and-how-to-restore-it.17864/.

Then you should be able to copy the mapsettings.cfg file from the backed up map folder to the new map folder when you upgrade.

That said, many prefer converting their favourites to a custom poi file that can be used on any map update. See here: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=71517&highlight=

Now then, the 850 map is at least four yeas old. The current one is 915 so I'm sure there are changes including a more current poi data file and IQ routing data. For what part of Canada in particular?

Finally, when you connect to Home, BEFORE considering purchasing a new map, go to Update My Unit (2nd page) to see what is offered. If an application is (the last is 9.510) then install ONLY that. Disconnect properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon. Reconnect and see if further app updates are offered. If so, repeat the install, disconnect, connect process till no further app updates are available before proceeding.

I'm in Ontario, will do the update my unit,
There are three different maps available for Canada. By increasing order in price they are:
Canada & Alaska
USA & Canada
USA, Canada & Mexico
They usually come as 4 quarterly subscriptions for a 1 year term.

This is normal, just wanted you to be prepared when ready to buy on the web page.
Mine were quoted in CAD + HST.

Don't let THEM hear you say it that way!

thankxs guys

DHN,
ok copied manually, and found the .CFG file, that POI file is good, it allows me to edit, but not view the details of each favorite, only just what I have tagged it as, but anywhoo as long as I have a copy of the CFG file thats good,
and will not overwrite the backups

it only let me do 1 backup app

then I upgraded the gpsfix, speedcams and map share corrections

will give it a spin and test her out

You can create multiple backups with Home, but you have to manually rename the folders after they're created so they're not being overwritten each time. I usually use this date coding convention:

Backup01 yesterday would be renamed = Backup20130913
Backup01 today would be renamed = Backup20130914

Not sure what OS you are running, but on XP, these are held in a folder one level below My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Backup

I usually keep the current backup plus 1 back from that .. sometimes 2.

it only let me do 1 backup app

Sounds like you are looking at TomTom Home to do the backup?

For that very reason, we always advise you make your own manual backups instead, by simply copying the entire TomTom contents to a new folder somewhere safe on your PC. That way you can make as many numbered or dated backups as you like.

There's full instructions in our FAQs/Articles forum section.

ok some weird things... I backed up unit before doing anything, then updated it, then wanted to revert to the previous backup

so this shows the free space on the TT
1.JPG

the below shows the NEW backup details

2.JPG

The below shows the previous (original) backup that I wanted to revert to.Not sure why it shows the folder was created on the 8th, I thought I created it yesterday

3.JPG

And then as you can see, it says that there is not enough space !, The instructions say to copy and paste to overwrite the files
So win7 advises that:
backup 15= 1.76gig, 729 files, 55 folders
backup 14= 1.76gig, 727 files, 54 folders

Capacity of TT = 1.91Gig used 1.76gi 145meg free

Home says that device mem=1956.2 with 190.2 free and installed 1766meg

!
4.JPG

I also tried removing extra apps from the device, such as cameras & extra voices, but there looks like a difference in the size of the home application,
at present the TT is working

Just a couple of thoughts. You're not accidentally trying to add the entire backup folder to the TomTom are you? Obviously that wouldn't replace the original material, but would try to adddit again.

Watch out for any folders starting with a dot (like .Spotlight) I belive they are gernerated if the unit has ever been near a Mac computer and there can also be a "hidden" trash can which can eat up all the available storage space.

If you're sure you have a full backup, there's no harm in deleting all the TomTom contents first, before trying to put the backup back on. (In fact it's often better to do so)

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the reply Andy, I think its all good, but weird that win7 showed more files and I needed an "extra" 1.6 gig of space, well check what you've recommended.
do I need the .spoltlight files, and no , never been near a mac. AFAIK

Eeek, not sure I want to wipe my tomtom. bit scared of that, 'll soldier on and make backups as you guys have suggested and if my TT fails I'll try the restores then

"if it aint broke...."

Many thankxs to you guys for your kind assistance

.spotlight folder is not needed, and will exist on a new unit whether it's been connected to a Mac yet or not (though the file is for the Mac to 'discover'). But the actual content should only be two tiny files of less than a total of 2KB.

Ask a Question