Takes a long time to Access Satellites

I have to admit that I have never actually tried that! That seems strange though. Surely, you can download it just by hitting 'check for updates' in the mainn part of HOME though, right?

No it doesn't work.

I loaded up my OEM SD card and connected to my computer. As soon as HOME came up I got the prompt for downloading the QuickGPSFix, I cancelled it.

I then went through HOME to open VTT, then Main Menu>TomTom PLUS services>Check for updates. I get a message that the software is up to date.

I again went to Main Menu>TomTom PLUS services>Download more and the option 'Disable Auto QuickGPSFix' is greyed out meaning it is enabled.

No, it's not. Since the latest firmware release, support was added for ONE models too. Not sure if it works yet with the new Hammerhead-based device though. It should do.

It should also work on the Rider.

BTW folks, I don't think there is a set release time/day for the QuickFix data as it is generated on the fly. The thing is, the file is only valid for 7 days. If the file on your device is older than 7 days, you get an update. If not you don't.

This is why (for those who connect regularly enough) it appears to be weekly. But, it is not. You can test this easily. Download QuickFix as normal, wait a day or two, then delete the files from the ephem folder. Now connect and it will download the file again. The next time it will download them will be 7 days from that point.

I'm the one with the rider who posted earlier. I also posted that my phone wouldn't work (nokia 6102i) which is not on the list of phones. Well, I am at work and was reading this again and decided to try to connect to plus account again. Went thru the seq. with the rider and it asked to chose from list of phones, I chose 6230i, then cingular media and low and behold it finished done the test and worked, then it checked updates. I tried the weather and it worked. The rider also has an option to download more. When you go there a choice of color schem and quickfix, which is still greyed out with an x on it. When i look at my files in explorer I don't find the emph file talked about here. Have to check again when I get home in the morning.

Spook, To the best of my knowledge GPSQuickFix cannot be downloaded by HOME for my GO300.
Correct. QuickGPSFix does not work with the original GO, 300, 500 or 700 because it requires a SiRF StarIII or Hammerhead chipset. The SiRF StarII chip in your 300 can't decode the ephemeris data. There is nothing you can do to fix this.

When i look at my files in explorer I don't find the emph file talked about here. Have to check again when I get home in the morning.
I would try and download the QuickFix data with HOME if I were you. It may also be dependant on your firmware version. If you use HOME you will get a new firmware (if there is one) and (I think) the QuickGPSFix data. The 'ephem' folder will be created automatically if it does install QuickFix. It is possible that you can only get updates from your phone once you have already installed QuickGPS fix files through HOME.

Other people don't have this problem as QuickGPS was already released at the time their devices (x10 and later) were. Rider came before that, so support for QuickGPSFix would have to be added. I do know that the only basic hardware requirement (SiRF StarIII chip) is in the Rider, so I can't see why it wouldn't work for you.

Glad to hear you got the other PLUS functions working though.

I do know that the only basic hardware requirement (SiRF StarIII chip) is in the Rider, so I can't see why it wouldn't work for you.
My bad! I have just learned that Rider does not offer QuickFix (though it could do!) for some reason. I guess that this is because Rider is using a different application version to all the other PND's, and they haven't added QuickFix support yet.

Ask a Question