TomTom takes a-g-e-s to find GPS satellites

TomTom Model(s)
One XL
My One XL was working fine , but now it often takes a long time to recognise where it is, and stays waiting for the GPS satellites, often for 5-10 miles or more.

It has also started to lose its position quite often, or decides that I am driving in a field 1/4 mile or so from the road.

Has the receiver in the TomTom lost sensitivity, or are the satellites gradually failing in the UK?

When was the last quickgpsfix file you downloaded.

Also, trying to grab a satellite fix while moving is quite difficult. Stay stationary in an open area.

I would also like to mention (which some don't know about), when you connect the TT to the computer and check for updates and after getting them....before you disconnect look up near the top of the computer screen and look for device, click on that and click on disconnect device, then watch the bottom of your TT and see if (on mine a TT OneXL) a yellow line goes across the bottom of your TT, if that happens then everything has been downloaded succesfully to your TT and a screen on the computer will say that you can now safely disconnect your device, before someone explained that to me I had trouble getting the GPS Quck fix's to work properly...........something to try and see if that helps.............John

I connected to TomTom Home a few days ago, but it has not improved things.

I did ensure that I had downloaded everything completely before disconnecting.

I connected to TomTom Home a few days ago, but it has not improved things.

I did ensure that I had downloaded everything completely before disconnecting.

Was quickgpsfix one of the downloads? It needs to be downloaded every 2-3 days to keep the quick signal locks. When quickgpsfix is working properly, you should get a signal in under 10 seconds.

If you aren't getting quickgpsfix downloads (a new file should be available daily), then you can try to "reset" your quickgpsfix settings.

1) close Tomtom HOME
2) in your Tomtom drive, open the ephem folder, and delete all the contents of it
3) on your computer, go to the my documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\ephemeris folder and delete all the subfolders in that location
4) reopen Home and do Update my XL, it should install a quickgpsfix file.

After installing it and properly disconnecting from HOME, you should also do a pin reset.

I just ran into this problem where the GPS would not lock on forever and sometimes randomly lose its signal for a certain amount of time. I sent the unit in for warranty repair and they sent me a new unit.

Thanks, mvl - I have done what you suggest, and it certainly found the satellites quickly on my desk at home. Although my Tomtom had downloaded Quickgpsfix every time when I first got it, it hasn't done so at all for some time.

Do I have to go through the procedure you outlined every time if I want to download the corrections now, or is there an easier way of making sure that my Tomtom is up-to-date?

I am now going out on a 40 mile trip, and I will see if it is performing better . . . . .

No, no need to go thru that every time. Sometimes the files just get a little jumbled and you've now sorted it out. You should be good to go (at least for awhile). And if it ever happens again, now you know the fix:)

Will this fix work for a XL340S?
Seems I am having the same problem, forever to get a signal and losing it once it finds it.

Will this fix work for a XL340S?
Seems I am having the same problem, forever to get a signal and losing it once it finds it.

Yes, should work on every tomtom.

After it is "fixed", you still need to do a normal quickgpsfix download every few days from your computer.

I have tried this twice and it is till taking over 2 minutes to find satellites.
Any other Ideas?

After the initial grabbing of the sat signal, turning off the unit and back on should result in a faster time to get the signal.

Also do a unit reset.

Seems to pick up a signal a little quicker.
I'll have to play with it for a couple of trips around town.

I have to wonder if some of the problems that people are having are due, at least in part, to where the GPS is installed in the vehicle. It will take longer for the GPS to determine your position of it does not have a clear view of the sky.

I say this because I have not installed a gpsfix in my 140s for at least three weeks, and when powered up it still can determine it's position in less than 30 seconds.

/Don

Last edited:
What has happened to quickgpsfix ?. It no longer appears when I Synch my TomTom

You should get a new one every day. If you don't get one daily, do the steps below and it you should be able to download one again.

1) close Tomtom HOME
2) in your Tomtom drive, open the ephem folder, and delete all the contents of it
3) on your computer, go to the my documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\ephemeris folder and delete all the subfolders in that location
4) reopen Home and do Update my XL, it should install a quickgpsfix file.

Did the fix Sunday Eve, and haven't had an update since.
It took almost 4 minutes to get signal with me standing outside in my driveway.

Should I now be looking at calling customer service?

Are you saying you never tried an update since Sunday? Or you tried re-updating and Tomtom didn't download anything for you?

And you removed it from the device AND the mydocuments location?

The 4 minute wait sounds like the sunday file expired.

Last edited:
Yes, no GPSfix update since Sunday, just did the fix again with the pin reset and still waiting over 4 minutes for it to get sat service.

You can do a manual quickgpsfix download. Use winrar to extract the contents of this file in the link below into the ephem folder on your tomtom.

Note to others, if you have a sirfstar chip, use this link.

Ask a Question