XL340S takes 4 hours to upload 1.4Gb map

TomTom Model(s)
XL340S
Hello,

I just bought an XL340S. In TomTomHome, I used the Latest Map 30-day guarantee.
The 1.4Gb Canada-USA-Mexico map took about 20 minutes to download from the web to my computer.
It then took about 4 hours to upload the map on the XL340S!!!

Is that normal that it takes 4 hours to upload such a map?

Thank you.

Louis

The 340 is built with usb 1.1 functionality, not usb 2.

That's why it is so slow to write to.

Even though the XL is USB-1 I would only expect a map install of that size to take around 50 minutes, something isn't quite right here but the problem could be with your PC or nav device its too hard to tell from the information supplied - Mike

Even though the XL is USB-1 I would only expect a map install of that size to take around 50 minutes, something isn't quite right here but the problem could be with your PC or nav device its too hard to tell from the information supplied - Mike

I just uploaded the new map to my 140S and after an hour and a half I went to bed. It was done in the morning. Judging from the progress bar when I went to bed, I'd say it was going to take at least 3 hours. The next morning I did a "Back-Up" from TomTom Home and it took over a half hour.

Thank you all for your reply.

In my case as well, the full back-up from the XL340S to the computer took about 1 hour (versus 4 hours to upload the map).

Anyway, its working now...

Louis

I've seen lots of reports of this. The write takes about 4-5 hours. Seems to have started with the new bootloader in app 8.411 (it was released with app 8.410).

There are usually lots of delayed write errors in the windows event viewer, too, signifying write errors. It appears HOME expects this and retries, as no one has reported a corrupted map once installed.

Is that normal that it takes 4 hours to upload such a map?
Apparently it is. It's much, much worse if you're using Vista or Windows 7.

Judging from the progress bar when I went to bed, I'd say it was going to take at least 3 hours.
The progress bar in Home is evil. :) It's ratio appears to be based on the number of files to move, not the amount of data. IME when loading a map, it'd move along just fine until it came to the large map file (c*.dat, for example). Then it would look like it was hung for quite some time.

As you've noticed, backups from the TomTom to the PC are much faster.

This thread details my own experiences and that of a few other members. It seems that all 130/140/330/340 devices are affected by this. Maybe more.

It took exactly 3 hours to upload a new (updated) map when I bought my XL340-S

Thought I was going to go out of my mind waiting!

I'm doing a full backup, and it showed 75 minutes remaining. Now, the progress bar is almost 2/3 full, and shows 29 minutes remaining (Win XP). I guess it also has to do with the Win OS.

Do the application update to 9.022 before the map update.

App 9.022 allows you to save your favorites, and it significantly sped up the map downloads.

that's weird it takes that long, maybe it's computer specs. I've backed up my entire 2gb drive on XP and Win7 with winrar, and the copy/paste method, and it took 50minutes. I deleted the usa_canada map included on it and added the 2gb north america map and it took around 50 minutes as well.
My computers aren't beefed up by any means, just typical 2ghz, 2-3gig ram.......

edit: this was on navcore 9.02 as well (if that's the correct #, i forget)

zoocircle, your speed makes sense.

App 8.x on the 140/340 take about 4 hours to install a map. App 9.x takes about 1 hour.

App 9.022 allows you to save your favorites, and it significantly sped up the map downloads.
This makes me insanely happy. I know what I'm doing with my XP system at work tomorrow! :)

Ask a Question