Routing Improvements with 7.20 Maps??

TomTom Model(s)
Go 720
Can I get someone to check a route for me. It's one I use as a test to see if routes are good or not. Please use Huntsville, Al as the starting point, and Wichita, KS as the destination. The route should looks like the attachment. If it still wants to go through St. Louis, then we're in no better shape. I was at CC today and checked this route with a 730, and it routed it the way it should, south through Arkansas and then North to KS.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Route.JPG
    Route.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 333
I am curious to see what the results are. The 7.20 maps may have similar routing as the 8.0 or 8.05 maps. Version 7.20 maps it would appear can be used with IQ routing if version 8 of navcore is used. I wonder what the difference is?

I tested your route

I have a new Go 720 & map 720.1803 (most recent as per TT support)I'm new to this. I chose "Prepare Route" & "Fastest Route." City Center to City Center.It asked me if I wanted to avoid toll roads, I said no. It DID route north through St. Louis! But, so does your attachment. I think this is not the way you want it to route.

I again tried the route --this time avoiding toll roads, still routed north through St. Louis. I then tried a 3rd time using the "route through" button. I said to go through Little Rock, AK. Now I get the route I suspect you were looking for. North to Nashville, TN & then SW to Little Rock & then N to KS.

WHile I was typing this reply the route screen changed to route from AZ (My location) to Wichita, KS. Strange. BTW, how do you cancel a route? It still thinks I want to go to KS.

720 and 805 are exact same cept for IQ routes and lane guidance. Those 2 things are built into the map itself. IQ routes only work well if that route has been traveled before a few times.

I again tried the route --this time avoiding toll roads, still routed north through St. Louis. I then tried a 3rd time using the "route through" button. I said to go through Little Rock, AK. Now I get the route I suspect you were looking for. North to Nashville, TN & then SW to Little Rock & then N to KS.

WHile I was typing this reply the route screen changed to route from AZ (My location) to Wichita, KS. Strange. BTW, how do you cancel a route? It still thinks I want to go to KS.

There is a clear route option in your unit but, if selected, it clears all routes, not just the most recent.

Some say if you navigate to-->recent destination-->and pick the most recent, as the screen is showing 'planning the route', if you QUICKLY hit the delete button, only the most recent gets cancelled.

I have a new Go 720 & map 720.1803 (most recent as per TT support)I'm new to this. I chose "Prepare Route" & "Fastest Route." City Center to City Center.It asked me if I wanted to avoid toll roads, I said no. It DID route north through St. Louis! But, so does your attachment. I think this is not the way you want it to route.

Can you please try it again from Huntsville to Wichita but this time don't avoid toll roads. Thanks.

Thanks dhn!
I found the "clear route" button on main menu, page 3. It has a red X through it but it still works, strange. Interesting device. It seems to erase my home location periodically. I'm still testing but, it may do it each time I hook it up to my computer.

Thanks dhn!
I found the "clear route" button on main menu, page 3. It has a red X through it but it still works, strange. Interesting device. It seems to erase my home location periodically. I'm still testing but, it may do it each time I hook it up to my computer.

Yeah, the red 'X' is part of the icon. If you do have a route, the entire icon is active (coloured); if no route exists, the icon is greyed out.

Read my 1st post again. My 1st test did NOT avoid toll roads.

Well that's bad news then. That tells me that the 8.0X maps are not the same as the 7.20 maps. I'll have to double check now, but on a 730 when I plan a route from Huntsville to Wichita, it takes the southern route, (the right route), and not through St. Louis. The CC I've been looking at has both a 720 and 730. I'll check them both next time I'm in there.

My wife and I just got home today from a ten day trip from Lakewood, CO to Grand Rapids, MI for her son's college graduation....the TomTom720 worked great with the new 7.20 map. We were impressed with the accuracy, but I was disappointed that I lost the ability to navigate by using voice command. I had it with the 7.10 map but it was somehow stripped from me on upgrading, bummer. We really liked the ability to call ahead for a motel via POI's and bluetooth and then routing us there!

Ask a Question