Crazy routing

TomTom Model(s)
XL - 2GB
I programmed my XL (335 or 350, not sure which) to go from Haines City FL to Lakeland FL, about a 25 mile trip, specifying shortest route. The most direct route is west on US17-92W, continuing on 92W (after 17 turns south to go through Winter Haven) to Florida Ave, then south to 4320.

The default route deviated somewhat, leaving 92 and taking several other streets and turns, eventually winding up in the right place. Was this route actually shorter than the most direct route, as stated above?

Then I explored the alternative routes, one at a time. The unit drew each route (and there were many), and they got longer and more complicated each time, even coming up with a route that was listed at more than 300 miles.

Eventually, the unit reported "no route found". I assume that meant it had exhausted its database. I clicked on DONE and the unit started showing a little box with the word "replanning" in it. I left it alone for over an hour and it was still replannng. What the heck was that?

Any comments, informative, constructive, or critical of my nitpicking ways always welcome.

jogle

Your TomTom takes the word "shortest" QUITE literally, and indicates distance, not time. So for example, I can see where at the end, while staying on Memorial Blvd up to S Lake Parker Ave and heading south from there might be the fastest route, jogging along the smaller streets along Main St. would actually be shorter .. in distance.

Was this route actually shorter than the most direct route, as stated above?
In addition to what canderson stated, you can easily check for yourself, even when you are at neither location.
Plan route A...B, put start and stop in there.
After fastest, shortest, etc. you can note down time and distance for your choices to compare.

BTW, when ever I select "Shortest" (almost never) I get an alert on the screen, paraphrased 'The shortest is not always the best or safest'.

Also worth trying to drive the route you would have expected to take as you may find the map is incorrect. certain roads are deliberately broken I am sure I need say no more....

I have waited 4 years for tom tom or the map company to contact with me a response or a fix......

certain roads are deliberately broken I am sure I need say no more....
Actually, I wish you would -- I'm not following what you're claiming there.

As for receiving no reply, how did you report the 'error' to which you're alluding? Here's how it's best done (link >>> http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/ )

@canderson. "anoia" (as in "paranoia"?) is referring to his very old topic here.
Maybe best to keep discussion on that subject in THAT topic!

Ask a Question