crazy mapping route

I'm sure this question has came up and been answered several times but, what the heck, i'll ask it again.
i have a 340 XL and on a recent trip from one small town on central california to to my home my tomtom mapped a route that took me thru every little town on the way. There was a very logical route that used only 3 country roads to get home. The GPS in my cell phone mapped this route but my TomTom as i menioned before took me through every small town. I tried to change the setting from "fastest route" to "shortest route" and then it wanted to take me in a bizar twisted route.
Since i was on the road i could'nt use TYRE to plan way points is there any way to get a tomtom to plan a smarter route?

I'm not sure. I plugged my tomtom to my computer and ran tomtom home. It installed some updates. I guess I assumed the updates you mensioned would have been automaticly installed. Shoud I be looking somewhere else?

sorry, I did'nt read the second question. I have not installed the latest maps. but since these road have been around since before I was born I figured it should'nt have been an issue.

Can you post your start and end points so that we find out if this is a particular issue with your unit or with other devices as well?

i turned off IQ routes and the route was better, but it still sent me through the center of a one small town (sanger, Calif.). I can live with that. If I had now idea were I was going I would'nt know any differant with the route planned this way.
For privacy the for a starting point is an intersection close by . start point: academy/shields Ave. outside Sanger, California. ending point: Hanford, california.
The logical route is Belmont Ave. or any other country road to-> Mccall Ave. ->Dinuba Ave.->Highland ave.-> CA-43 to Hanford, calif.
This is a route I use often and my cell phone maps the same route.

This is what I did:
Plan route A to B - Start point is intersection - I picked Sanger as the city and Intersection (N Academy / E Shield) as the starting point/intersection - the Destination is city center of Handford.

I planned the route to leave now, 7:13PM Wednesday 12.23. This is the route "fastest route, IQ on"
* Manning Ave - S Mendocino Ave - J40 E Mountain View Ave - 43 S Highland Ave - 10th Ave - N 10th Ave - E 6th St *

The route is 36.9 mile and takes 54 minutes.

I tried the same with google map and got almost the same route but 71 minutes.

Is the start and end point correct? Is the route problematic?

Last edited:
You're seeing the effect of IQ routing taking 'real world' driving speeds into consideration when calculating the ETA whereas Google only uses the posted speed limit in determining its ETA.

Exactly. I was wondering what was the time needed for the OP when using the route without the GPS suggestion, where he may uses other roads that is more familar or looks logical for him but in fact takes longer.

This is what I did:
Plan route A to B - Start point is intersection - I picked Sanger as the city and Intersection (N Academy / E Shield) as the starting point/intersection - the Destination is city center of Handford.

I planned the route to leave now, 7:13PM Wednesday 12.23. This is the route "fastest route, IQ on"
* Manning Ave - S Mendocino Ave - J40 E Mountain View Ave - 43 S Highland Ave - 10th Ave - N 10th Ave - E 6th St *

The route is 36.9 mile and takes 54 minutes.

What is the better route that you expected the Tomtom to take? I'll look into the directions and see if I can make sense it.

Oops, got confused with who was asking what.

The OP said:
The logical route is Belmont Ave. or any other country road to-> Mccall Ave. ->Dinuba Ave.->Highland ave.-> CA-43 to Hanford, calif.
This is a route I use often and my cell phone maps the same route.

I'll look into this...

When I do this route on Map 840, the Tomtom warns me that IQroutes is missing on some roads in the route. This happens if there isn't enough "anonymous data" submitted to Tomtom from customers who drive on these roads.

When IQroutes is disabled, Tomtom uses road class routing, preferring "larger" roads over smaller ones. You can see which roads are considered "larger" because they don't disappear when you zoom out in "browse map" mode.

I'm not sure what specific road on this path is missing IQroutes data, but I suspect that road is throwing the routing off.

Turn on "submit anonmyous data" and drive these roads often, and connect to HOME periodocally to load your road-speed history. Eventually Tomtom will have enough data to add these real-world speeds to its IQroutes engine (although you'd have to buy a new map later to get this new IQroutes data).

...start point: academy/shields Ave. outside Sanger, California. ending point: Hanford, california.

My 930 with 815 map does not accept Shields Ave in Sanger, CA. Checking with Google maps, there is an E Shields Ave, but TomTom doesn't accept that either,

Same thing happened with the 840 map. I decided to have a look at the area with Google and find that E Academy and E Shields intersect. Putting E Academy into the 930 it calculated the route immediately.

A little disappointing when imprecise addresses are given when trying to help.

An interesting incidence, after entering city center Hanfod I got this screen:

View attachment 2756

I did check on the Hawaii question several days ago but did a few other things since, particularly with A ... B

Last edited:
i did not get the HI problem because I planned for the route using "plan route A-B" since it is not possible to use "navigate to" because we, the testers, are not at the start point location.

Sitting here in Toronto I don't have an option to use anything but A .. B else it becomes a 39 hour drive.
Don't ask me how I know.

Ask a Question