routing algorithm on Go 720

I've noticed with the last few updates on my good old Go 720 that when I decide to go a different route than the shortest one it will keep insisting I turn around, often until I'm well past the point where turning around would no longer be the shortest route. When I first got this device it seemed that after I took a certain route home a few times, it would "learn" it and just route me that way, or immediately change to the most common route once I turned on to it. Now however, it never seems to do that.

There is also another route I take from time to time, which is actually 1km shorter as well as more direct than the route the 720 calculates, it deviates from the recommended route about 1/3 the way in, and the 720 will insist I turn around until I get 20 km's down it before it finally relents and plans on the route I'm on, by this time it'd be 40 kms longer if I did what the Tomtom says I should. In this case even when I recalc the route it refuses to see the shortest route and I have no idea why.

A minor annoyance, but an annoyance just the same..

Since I've never changed it, I would imagine it's default. Also since I did the OP, I noticed that IQ routing was turned on. I turned it off and will see if it make a difference the next trip I take to the city.

Enabling or disabling IQRoutes will only affect your estimated arrival time.
When you are on the screen where you disabled IQ Routes, which of the options above is selected with the radio button.

when I decide to go a different route than the shortest one it will keep insisting I turn around,
If you have selected "Always plan shortest routes" it would make sense that the device will ask you, even to double back, when you picked a different route that then will not be the shortest route any longer, by its calculation.

Enabling or disabling IQRoutes will only affect your estimated arrival time.
Negative. Will also impact routing. Without IQRoutes, device will use one of three road classes to determine average speed for each road within a route. Not very precise. With IQRoutes enabled, average historical speeds are taken into account which can impact routing significantly.

I've noticed with the last few updates on my good old Go 720 that when I decide to go a different route than the shortest one it will keep insisting I turn around, often until I'm well past the point where turning around would no longer be the shortest route. When I first got this device it seemed that after I took a certain route home a few times, it would "learn" it and just route me that way, or immediately change to the most common route once I turned on to it. Now however, it never seems to do that.

There is also another route I take from time to time, which is actually 1km shorter as well as more direct than the route the 720 calculates, it deviates from the recommended route about 1/3 the way in, and the 720 will insist I turn around until I get 20 km's down it before it finally relents and plans on the route I'm on, by this time it'd be 40 kms longer if I did what the Tomtom says I should. In this case even when I recalc the route it refuses to see the shortest route and I have no idea why.

A minor annoyance, but an annoyance just the same..
Unfortunately, I am also having issues with routing. My TomTom Supreme, 2020 model is hopeless. I don't know what TomTom has done to their devices, but it can't even get me from point A to point B (major towns) without a scenic tour of all the small towns in-between. I am about to change brands. Can't even make contact them for help. Extremely unhappy.

Unfortunately, I am also having issues with routing. My TomTom Supreme, 2020 model is hopeless. I don't know what TomTom has done to their devices, but it can't even get me from point A to point B (major towns) without a scenic tour of all the small towns in-between. I am about to change brands. Can't even make contact them for help. Extremely unhappy.
What have you selected for your preferred routing method? I have roughly the same model, and it now has 5 "Preferred route type"s.
You might be very surprised at the difference in how routing is handled between "Fast" and "Faster", for example.

Ask a Question