[OFFICIAL] New Maps!!

except I wasn't really in the first week, neither were you lol.

7+12 = 19. We ordered around Boxing Day. <sigh>.

Hehe... good point. But it helps me that it was sent from Fort Worth and I am just outside of Dallas. :)

lol.

Well, TT support has been fairly quick in the e-mails. I told them about traffic, they gave me the same explanation with "Change my Device" and on my ONE. I replied telling them I don't have the "Continue" button on their website this morning.

I just checked my e-mail and they replied saying I should just following the instructions for "activating" it on my ONE.

So I did, it doesn't register but the e-mail said wait for 24 hours for the computer to register that I've reset my account. So I shall wait.

I got my new maps earlier this week and installed them yesterday. I noticed that the size of the new USA and Canada maps (665.1293) is smaller than the older map by about 30MB. My older mapset was 665.1103 and was around 923MB. The 665.1293 mapset is 896MB. I'm not sure if that means anything. Here's some relevent filesizes.

Code:
                 File Size (KB)
 File          v665.1103  v665.1293
 ----------------------------------
 cline.dat      530,516    513,680
 cname.dat       91,986    114,008
 cnode.dat      180,970    175,398
 mapinfo.dat     20,529      9,533
 poi.dat         49,692     57,663

I had to delete my old mapset before upgrading my 510 because Home kept telling me I didn't have enough space on my SD card. However, I did not lose any of my custom POIs. I did lose my map settings and my favourites though. There was another obstacle during the upgrade. I had removed the Guam mapset a while ago in order to make room for other things. When I went to delete the USA and Canada mapset for the update, TomTom Home wouldn't allow me to have no mapsets at all. So I had to remove the satelite image, reinstall Guam (since it's small) and then remove the old USA and Canada. Then I was able to install the new USA and Canada mapset, remove the Guam mapset and reinstall the satelite image. Finally, I restored my old mapsettings.cfg from backup.

This turned out to be a mistake as I lost all the new POI categories that come with the new maps. I then deleted my mapsettings.cfg file and rebooted. The file was recreated but of course my favourites were now gone. Eventually, I recopied over with the old mapsettings.cfg file again, rebooted and saved all my favourites into a temporary POI category. Then I removed mapsettings.cfg again and rebooted one last time to get it recreated with the new POI categories. Now I was able to transfer my old favourites out of the temporary POI category into new favourites.

Well, I placed my update order on Dec. 21st. Received the order confirmation email, but nothing since then.
I tried the telephone route on 3 or 4 different ocasions, just to be on hold for a lot longer then the recorded 20 minutes wait (I just let the speaker phone on) Finally, I sent a note days ago on their support web-page - no answer.

I ordered it around Boxing Day and still haven't received mine. When did you e-mail them? I got a response from them after 4 days but once you start having a discussion going, their replies are faster.

I ordered it around Boxing Day and still haven't received mine. When did you e-mail them? I got a response from them after 4 days but once you start having a discussion going, their replies are faster.

-Like I mentioned before, I placed my order on Dec.21st, prepayed the shipping and received confirmation for both the same day.
On January 22nd I emailed through TT's support site and received the following by email the same day:
"Your question has been received. Recently, we have been experiencing an unusually high number of incidents which has been affecting response times. You will receive a response from our support team as soon as possible ."

Tomorrow this message will be a week old.

I like the product, one time I talked with customer service (not related to this problem) and they seem to be great people too. Hovewer this service is very poor at best.

-Like I mentioned before, I placed my order on Dec.21st, prepayed the shipping and received confirmation for both the same day.
On January 22nd I emailed through TT's support site and received the following by email the same day:
"Your question has been received. Recently, we have been experiencing an unusually high number of incidents which has been affecting response times. You will receive a response from our support team as soon as possible ."

Tomorrow this message will be a week old.

I like the product, one time I talked with customer service (not related to this problem) and they seem to be great people too. Hovewer this service is very poor at best.
That's odd.

my e-mail was responded to in 4 days (sent 20th Jan, replied 24th).

Map upgrade

I received my update as promised for my One. Of course I immediately looked for roads that I knew were not up to date in the old map set. There was as stretch of I-20 near Florence, SC where I was off road for about two miles. The entire remainder of that trip was fine.

Now, to my surprise, I section of I-20 about 50 miles closer to Columbia is off. I am now flying over the cow pastures of SC for about 3 miles on a stretch of interstate that has been there for 30 years and has not changed.

What would explain a discrepancy such as this. A data set that changed for no reason?

I have also found other descrepancies, such as an intersection of an interstate (I-26) and a US route (378) that was radically altered about two years ago. That change was made in the new maps. However, another 4-lane secondary route about 4 miles away that has been completed for 6 years still is not on the map.

I guess my capacity to understand these things is beyond me. Some insight would be helpful.

Thanks for this very useful forum!

All I can say is report the inaccuracies with either TomTom or direclty with TeleAtlas. That is very strange indeed about the Interstate issue. I have a road in my town (very small town) that is a dead straight road. The TT views it as a "turn left, then turn right" zigzag with about 4 different turns instead of straight on.

In one instance, I noticed that my TT route had me turning off of a main road right, just to make a u-turn and get back on the main road. But the really interesting part is John Cleese kept saying "stay straight on" while the TT map showed a turn.

All we can do is report feedback and hope for the best!

I received my update as promised for my One. Of course I immediately looked for roads that I knew were not up to date in the old map set. There was as stretch of I-20 near Florence, SC where I was off road for about two miles. The entire remainder of that trip was fine.

Now, to my surprise, I section of I-20 about 50 miles closer to Columbia is off. I am now flying over the cow pastures of SC for about 3 miles on a stretch of interstate that has been there for 30 years and has not changed.

What would explain a discrepancy such as this. A data set that changed for no reason?

I have also found other descrepancies, such as an intersection of an interstate (I-26) and a US route (378) that was radically altered about two years ago. That change was made in the new maps. However, another 4-lane secondary route about 4 miles away that has been completed for 6 years still is not on the map.

I guess my capacity to understand these things is beyond me. Some insight would be helpful.

Thanks for this very useful forum!

Which one of the maps did you install? Was it the USA & Canada? Or North America?

Interesting.... I've had my new maps for about 2 weeks now I think. I JUST got an email from TomTom Support saying new maps are ready... I thought it was MORE new maps.

....are they REALLY that far being that they tell us about the new maps after we 1) received them and 2) installed them already?

Nextourer.... you hangin' in there OK?

I got that same email from TomTom today, and I've had my maps for at least 2 weeks now.... they are really behind in their "news" emails...

we are in desperate need of a US based support system... or... are 'we' it?

And by we I mean tomtomforums.com

Interesting.... I've had my new maps for about 2 weeks now I think. I JUST got an email from TomTom Support saying new maps are ready... I thought it was MORE new maps.

....are they REALLY that far being that they tell us about the new maps after we 1) received them and 2) installed them already?

Nextourer.... you hangin' in there OK?
I got the map update e-mail on 12th January.

I still haven't got the DVD... and traffic still doesn't work for me.

wonder if a note to TomTom Support saying we'd host the DVD for download and they could email us activation codes would do any good? (still uploading)

Ask a Question