New XXL 540TM

New XXL 540TM 5" screen

Cannot update maps "not enough space on device -31.gb"

I would like to change the memory card, but I cannot find it.

Any ivof/advice appreciated.

There is no slot for a sdhc card in that model.

You should be able to update the North_American map without an issue.

Look at the contents of the unit using Explorer. Do you happen to see BOTH a USA_Canada folder AND a North_America folder?

The downloaded map should be found here:

c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads\Complete\Maps\

Take a look at what the name of the compressed cab file is. Does it refer to NA or USA_Canada?

Anyway, report back.

Can you look at the contents of the cab file and see if there are a bunch of cspeechXX.dat files in the USA_Canada map folder you downloaded?

The USA_Can_Mex zip file contains
111 files with the extensions of meta, pna, dat, met, and bmp.

Though not one of the cspeechxx.dat files.

Well, try this:

Make an Explorer, not Home backup of your unit's contents.

Then, use Home to remove all voices from the unit.

Then try the map update install.

If that works, add back (using Home) voices of your choice but don't go overboard.

Went through the steps.
Put one computer voice back.

It will not boot ... stays stuck on opening screen "TomTom"

The difference in time from my last post to this one .....

the opening screen "TomTom" is still stuck, cannot turn off.

Connect to computer. Make an Explorer, not Home backup.

Reformat the unit. don't use quickformat.

Restore the backup. Any better?

Just went off ... guess battery finally gave out.

This unit will be returned, seems its a problem to update from reviews I've read elsewhere.

Normally, I suggest to people to try a 540 model. I have one (a 540 World Traveller Edition) and it is my 'weapon of choice' at the moment. (Don't ask how many I have here..:eek: ).

I can certainly understand 'once burned, twice shy' but you might want to try to exchange for a different unit of the same model. MAKE AN EXPLORER BACKUP when you get it home.

Then register it with a different email address and try a map update again.

Thanks for info.

Is there a way to download the map update without using
"TomTom Home" then just copy it the folder with explorer.

But overall, without the ability to add more memory and
it seems the connection is the old 1.1 usb type makes trying another one not tempting.

At the current going rate, you might want to look at the GO740. If you weren't interested in the lifetime maps/traffic, you can get a decent refurb unit from Amazom.com for $137 at the moment, $199 new. That will get you plenty of features, and room for a microSD card that will hold all the maps of the world if need be. Apart from another XXL, you won't find a TomTom with quite that much screen, though.

Amazon.com: TomTom GO 740 Live 4.3-Inch Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator (Factory Refurbished): Electronics

Amazon.com: TomTom GO 740 Live 4.3-Inch Widescreen Portable Live Internet Connected GPS Navigator: Electronics

I'm sure there are deals as good or better from a number of vendors.

I would say get another 540. There was a recent issue with tomtom's servers.

First thing is to make an EXPLORER backup of the device.

Then remove all voices but Susan.

There should be enough free space for a map update

telemike ... thanks for info ... I may eventually try it again.
Just takes so long to do all this ... how can they put a 1.1 usb connection in a new device like this ?

I formatted drive and copied files from an "Explorer Backup".
Seems to be working as when first tried it.

When i view the update files ... it says my map is 20 weeks old.

Is there a way to download the map I need directly from a website .... without using "TomTom Home" ?

Just takes so long to do all this ... how can they put a 1.1 usb connection in a new device like this ?
I can copy the entire internal 2GB across to hard drive in about 6 minutes. Not all that terrible. Why 1.1? Probably because it's part of the processor's own peripheral I/O, not a separate USB chip, and they're not changing processors without more of a reason.

Ask a Question