New Updates

Wiley,
Was the map 675.xxx available on tomtom's website when it use to work?
When I got my refurb 910 and the 675.xxx map was released, they only allowed me to download the 665.xxx map (I already had the CD). The refurb 910 came with the 650 maps. The free download maps was available during that time.

Wiley,
When I got my refurb 910 and the 675.xxx map was released, they only allowed me to download the 665.xxx map (I already had the CD). The refurb 910 came with the 650 maps. The free download maps was available during that time.

I made the full price purchase from the TT UK site by declaring that I had a 910, rather than a One. The transaction went smoothly, so I really don't know what business reasons they had for not making the upgrade easier to get at by their North American customers. Going the UK/910 route was the prescribed methodology about three months ago. I don't know what the availability is for 6.75 at this time....sorry.

I connected today and was automatically prompted to update to Home v. 2 and Navcore 7.120. There are some (?useless) 'safety' features and a built in overspeed warning. The best addition I noticed is that it now shows the name of the road you're on on the main navigation screen. I thought that had been a major omission; even though I usually know what road I'm on, it's nice to see it, especially when traveling if the road's name keeps changing.

As noted by some other posts, it totally screws up Tripmaster, Reverse Itinerary and Sunrise (Sunrise may still work - I'm not sure - but the setup screen is total gibberish.

Mapshare does not work and I too hope they support it for the One v.2 in the future especially since I live on a 3 year old road that is on no maps.

Well then what are you complaining about?

you can't enable mapshare on every map set that has ever been released.

When they make changes from the 665-675 series all of those will be re-submitted through mapshare by the 665 users...which equals tons of clutter, excess work, and overall breakdown of the mapshare system.

It makes sense that they want to start from the newest mapset.

Well then what are you complaining about?

you can't enable mapshare on every map set that has ever been released.

When they make changes from the 665-675 series all of those will be re-submitted through mapshare by the 665 users...which equals tons of clutter, excess work, and overall breakdown of the mapshare system.

It makes sense that they want to start from the newest mapset.
:confused: I'm not sure I'm exactly complaining, I just stated that mapshare doesn't work with my version , and that I don't plan on paying for an upgrade. I hope that they upgrade us to 6.75 for free, but imagine they may not. It would seem reasonable to upgrade those like me who bought their units recently (12 days ago) -- on the other hand, I got Circuit City to match the Staples price of $200 after I'd bought it for $250, so either way, I'm pretty satisfied.

I just got the 7.12 update last night. There are some improvements, most notably improved map names (better font handling?) and the "current road" ID is a big plus. I like the speed alarms.

One bug: if you set the "battery management" screen to go off between instructions or off entirely, when you tap the screen to bring it back on, it goes to full 100% brightness. You then must reset it manually. Thats a pain.

If you turn the unit off and then back on, same thing. It goes back to 100% brightness on startup. V6 didn't do that - it would return to where you last set it.

{TomTom ONE, V2, internal mem. with SD slot, GL Hammerhead chipset}

Wiley,

I believe that v665.xxxx is the latest version for the older devices (e.g. One XL, One version 1 and 2, etc.). Only the GO 520/720 and One 3rd Edition get the newer versions. I got this info from a CS rep earlier today.

Connected my One and logged into TTHome and got a bunch of new updates today -

1. TT Home v2.0.0.370 (I was still using v1)
2. TT Aplication v7.120
3. Retail Stores POI v414
4. Also updated a few purchased voices I had.

I wish my 510 would get updates like that. GPS Quick-fix is losing it's excitement!!!

I believe that v665.xxxx is the latest version for the older devices (e.g. One XL, One version 1 and 2, etc.). Only the GO 520/720 and One 3rd Edition get the newer versions. I got this info from a CS rep earlier today.
As usual it seems, the CSR was either mistaken or purposely trying to turn you off from the prospect of your maps being outdated. 6.75 is indeed the latest version; I just reluctantly upgraded mine in fact, and I have One v2. I truly think TomTom is just trying to skirt their customers' complaints by claiming they have the latest map version when they do not. Either that, or their CSRs are horribly misinformed. Either way, it adds up to some pretty abysmal customer service. I let them know this on my feedback form earlier today, in fact.

I love their product, but their customer service needs some serious work. I am also not too terribly impressed with their business model of demanding immediate map upgrades for older devices if you want to have a new map with your new TomTom.

I believe either time and healthy competition or better management will spell the end of this managerial deficiency at TomTom, but we'll see. I'm rooting for them myself, because they need to improve upon this aspect of their gameplan or risk falling behind in the future to the other major GPS players.

Again, just my two cents.

As usual it seems, the CSR was either mistaken or purposely trying to turn you off from the prospect of your maps being outdated. 6.75 is indeed the latest version; I just reluctantly upgraded mine in fact, and I have One v2. I truly think TomTom is just trying to skirt their customers' complaints by claiming they have the latest map version when they do not. Either that, or their CSRs are horribly misinformed. Either way, it adds up to some pretty abysmal customer service. I let them know this on my feedback form earlier today, in fact.

I love their product, but their customer service needs some serious work. I am also not too terribly impressed with their business model of demanding immediate map upgrades for older devices if you want to have a new map with your new TomTom.

I believe either time and healthy competition or better management will spell the end of this managerial deficiency at TomTom, but we'll see. I'm rooting for them myself, because they need to improve upon this aspect of their gameplan or risk falling behind in the future to the other major GPS players.

Again, just my two cents.

Just be clear, the CSR stated that version 665 was the latest version for my particular model (TT1 v2). She said that the newer maps that are on the TT1 3rd Edition and Go 520/720 wouldn't fit on my device (and many other models) .

I also thought she said they were working on a map update that would enable MapShare and other features for this device. I believe there are some threads about running 675 maps on the TT1 v2, but I believe folks are doing this from an SD card vs. internal memory. Any truth to what the CSR said or do you still think she was full of it?

Just be clear, the CSR stated that version 665 was the latest version for my particular model (TT1 v2). She said that the newer maps that are on the TT1 3rd Edition and Go 520/720 wouldn't fit on my device (and many other models) .

I also thought she said they were working on a map update that would enable MapShare and other features for this device. I believe there are some threads about running 675 maps on the TT1 v2, but I believe folks are doing this from an SD card vs. internal memory. Any truth to what the CSR said or do you still think she was full of it?

The SD enabled devices should be able to fit the v7 NA maps, you just need to get the appropriate storage for it to be able to fit.

TomTom "Technicians" are anything...but!

You've got to remember that you're not dealing with TomTom employees when you seek some support. You're getting someone at a remote call-center that has little or no product-specific technical training to draw on. Most of what you get is likely to be some internal hearsay...or at best, some boilerplate scripted responses that may or may not have any relevance to your particular problem. You don't give them the right buzz-words...you don't get a solution. Period!

Obviously the drone you spoke to doesn't have any idea what they are talking about. Of course, anyone with a version 2 unit is NOT going to have a problem with the size of the map and firmware upgrade. That's what the SD card is all about. Sheeesh!

If you want more POI information, more visual detail, you'll want to get the 6.75 map set. That version will work with MapShare and it has MUCH more embedded information (1.4GB versus the less than 1GB 3rd edition maps).

Last edited:
I've also just updated my TomTom One v2 to v7.12. I couldn't get the update when connecting to TomTom Home, unless I changed the device type from the default "One New Edition" to another option of "One New Edition" (in TomTom Home there are about 4 different options with the same name). After changing the device, it updated correctly.

Have the same brightness issue described here, but I don't use the function to turn off the screen between instructions. Any clue on this?

I just got the 7.12 update last night. There are some improvements, most notably improved map names (better font handling?) and the "current road" ID is a big plus. I like the speed alarms.

One bug: if you set the "battery management" screen to go off between instructions or off entirely, when you tap the screen to bring it back on, it goes to full 100% brightness. You then must reset it manually. Thats a pain.

If you turn the unit off and then back on, same thing. It goes back to 100% brightness on startup. V6 didn't do that - it would return to where you last set it.

{TomTom ONE, V2, internal mem. with SD slot, GL Hammerhead chipset}

The 6.75 US maps are actually smaller than the 6.65 maps, though they supposedly are better regardless. It's the NORTH AMERICA maps that are 1.4GB in size, and that would require a larger SD card.

But yeah, you can definitely run the 6.75 maps on a v2 One. I am doing so as we speak.

I'm also using maps v675.1409 on my One v2.
And with Navcore v7.12, Mapshare works with these maps.

In my case I'm using them on an SD card, as my One does not have internal memory.

In TomTom Home 1, with your device connected, you can just go to the menu "Device" and choose "Change device" and then choose from a list.

Hey guys, how are u changing the type of device in home? It only gives me the device im using and if i disconnect, it gives me no choices. Any help???

My install of Home 2 does not allow device change...

The option to change the device is grayed out in my instance of Home 2.0.

I'm looking around to see if there is a config file in Home that has stored the device type info. If an entry exists, maybe it can be edited to allow a different device type. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that anyone with the SiRFF III chip set and a serial number that begins with an "E", is going to be denied until TomTom rolls out that specific version.

I've read that the justification for the rolling upgrade is due to TomTom's desire to prevent their distribution server from red-lining. Gee, just how tough could it be to add a few more resources to their server, and make a LOT of customers happy? D'oh!
:eek:

Ask a Question