New maps V6.75

I just got off the phone with TomTom. Go to TomTom Home and select "Buy the latest maps" in the menu on the left side of the screen. You can buy the North American (6.75) map version there. Note the difference in size and price between the N. American 6.75 map and the USA & Canada 6.65 map. See below.

All purchases there are in Euros, so there will be an automatic conversion to US Dollars. As of 6/15/07 the conversion is: 1 Euro = 1.3307 U.S. dollars

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Map of North America
Fully detailed map covering all American States and Canadian provinces (incl. Hawaii, Alaska and Puerto Rico).
price: 87.95 (Euro) filesize: 1.4 GB

Map of USA & Canada
Detailed map fully covering all American States and Canadian provinces (incl. Hawaii, Alaska and Puerto Rico).
price: 79.95 (Euro) filesize: 897.9 MB

Hmm are you sure? Here is what TomTom tells me:

"
Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support in regard to your map acquisition inquiry. I understand you would like to order the 1.4GB North America map.

To answer your question the map version that will be downloaded is v665.1293 please notice v6.75 is available for European customers only. Sorry for any inconvenience this might cause to you.
"

In other words, the 1.4Gig North America map downloadable via TomTom Home is apparently the 6.65 version...or is this just a canned response? Can anyone verify one way or the other?

Yep! I'm sure. I didn't buy it but I got dang close...without any problem.

Hmm are you sure?

It's all there in black and white. I followed the North America (6.75) map purchase right up to the point that it wanted a method of payment. No restrictions, no caveats, nothing that said it was going to be other than what was described. If you haven't looked on Home, go do it. So far I haven't found any more current or accurate information at this site.

Of course, it would be prudent to simply ask TomTom if there is any recourse if they tell you one thing and sell you another. Get it in writing if need be.

I went through TomTom HOME to download the North America map and it didn't list the version anywhere during the download process :confused: . Support also constantly tells me that the NA map available from TomTom HOME is v6.65. Has anyone successfully downloaded the v6.75 NA map via TomTom HOME? This is frustrating..seems like TomTom support has some serious issues..Wiley and I seem to be getting different answers :eek: .

Thanks!

Runarg - thanks so much for trying the demo route - I'm glad to know that it works properly with 675. There is hope - perhaps one day for us in the US we'll have access to correct maps!

I'll be driving on that interchange later today, so I can see what happens.

I was on a bit of a road trip this weekend (but not by that particular interchange). Over the span of 150+ miles, and many, many interchanges...every single one showed up as expected when I drove past it. The only one with a problem is the one I identified.

Now, please note that I'm not too concerned that the interchange is not "routable". My real concern is that if this one doesn't work....what other problems are in the map? If the quality control misses something major (I consider interstate interchanges major), then how many of the minor things are not reliable?

Ah well....it will be interesting to see what Tomtom Support does with this.

Thanks for all of your help!
-Joe

I am fairly new to TT and have been reading the 6.75 map threads and I saw this one and was curious to see if my TT had the similar missing/unroutable interchange.

With the USA_Canada V6.65.1293 version of the map, I had a route that successfully used the interchange. The name of the road is incorrect as you had mentioned, but the interchange is present and routable.

-S

Did you complete the purchase/download?

I went through TomTom HOME to download the North America map and it didn't list the version anywhere during the download process :confused: . Support also constantly tells me that the NA map available from TomTom HOME is v6.65. Has anyone successfully downloaded the v6.75 NA map via TomTom HOME? This is frustrating..seems like TomTom support has some serious issues..Wiley and I seem to be getting different answers :eek: .

Thanks!

The version number was a verbal quote from the TomTom support person I spoke to. I think her name was Vicky. She directed me to the map download area on Home and specifically said that the North America map set is 6.75, and can be purchased by anyone...regardless of geographic location. Both the 6.65 (USA & Canada) and 6.75 (North America) map sets are available there.

Since I only went up to the point where I was requested to enter a credit card number, I never actually got to see the delivered version. However, the 6.75 purchase was smooth sailing up to that point.

The map size and price difference between the two versions is reasonable evidence that they are not one in the same. The level of detail in the maps may account for some of the difference, but from what others have said, there is a notable improvement in accuracy as well. Is it worth the $117 price-tag for the North America maps? For me...probably not. I'm pretty much convinced that though the Tele Atlas maps may be pretty good, NavTeq has a distinct home-court advantage at the moment. My next GPS device will definitely have NavTeq on board.

The version number was a verbal quote from the TomTom support person I spoke to. I think her name was Vicky. She directed me to the map download area on Home and specifically said that the North America map set is 6.75, and can be purchased by anyone...regardless of geographic location. Both the 6.65 (USA & Canada) and 6.75 (North America) map sets are available there.

Since I only went up to the point where I was requested to enter a credit card number, I never actually got to see the delivered version. However, the 6.75 purchase was smooth sailing up to that point.

The map size and price difference between the two versions is reasonable evidence that they are not one in the same. The level of detail in the maps may account for some of the difference, but from what others have said, there is a notable improvement in accuracy as well. Is it worth the $117 price-tag for the North America maps? For me...probably not. I'm pretty much convinced that though the Tele Atlas maps may be pretty good, NavTeq has a distinct home-court advantage at the moment. My next GPS device will definitely have NavTeq on board.

Wiley, I don't deny that they told you that. However, when *I* talked to a customer rep, they told me that the larger 1.4Gig North America mapset IS THE 6.65 VERSION for USA customers. Also, you *cannot* tell the difference by file size alone because there *is* a 6.65 version of the 1.4Gig North America map. Other members have also mentioned this. Add to the fact that they don't tell you the version number via the HOME application, I just didn't want to chance it.

That being said, I *was* able to order the 6.75 North America map via the UK TomTom web site ( it does list the version ). Make sure you select the GO 910 to get the North America map in the list. Even though the checkout process doesn't list the USA as a valid country, the credit card verification process must not check the country....because it worked great for me! ( I selected the US virgin islands as my 'country' ) :D .

In my opinion the 1.4Gig North America mapset seems to be far and away better than the much smaller 'USA/Canada' mapset included with my unit. I now see quite a few more 'map details' than I saw previously ( lakes, rivers, etc..although still no park boundaries ), the POI coverage seems to be much better, and the road coverage in my area is FAR BETTER than the original USA/Canada set ( although this is probably due to the newer map version ). Wiley, you might want to check into getting the v6.75 maps...they really do seem far better than the older ones.

I really think TomTom committed a major blunder by stripping down the maps to fit in the 1G footprint of the newer units. Plus the fact that TomTom support insists that the USA/Canada maps are NOT stripped and are the 'latest mapset' really ticks me off. Well, now I can prove it. :D

If any of you want me to check on any 'map detail' differences, please let me know. I can easily switch between the original USA/Canada maps and the North America maps by removing the SD card.

Thanks all for your help!

Wiley,
I really think TomTom committed a major blunder by stripping down the maps to fit in the 1G footprint of the newer units. Plus the fact that TomTom support insists that the USA/Canada maps are NOT stripped and are the 'latest mapset' really ticks me off. Well, now I can prove it. :D

If any of you want me to check on any 'map detail' differences, please let me know. I can easily switch between the original USA/Canada maps and the North America maps by removing the SD card.

Thanks all for your help!

That's good information! Great, in fact!

How much did the update end up costing in U.S. Dollars?

Here is a little test for you. Would you mind looking at this intersection?

6.65 vs. 6.75 map check

I'm specifically interested in finding out if the junction of a real road and a fake road are visible on the 6.75 maps.

At these coordinates:

N 44.64672?
W 123.11450?

The reference to the NW Hickory St. and NW North Albany Rd intersection is totally bogus. It has never existed! When routing Southbound on NW North Albany Rd., at the intersection the route wants to veer off to the nonexistent NW Hickory street. It comes back onto NW North Albany Rd. several hundred yards further South. Go figure.

Thanks, and please do keep us updated on your impressions of the 6.75 maps.

Last edited:
Wiley, I have attached a v6.75 map image at the coordinates you requested. It looks the same on the v6.75 maps as it does on your map version. Let me know the routing you are using and I can check to see if it routes me the same way...I'm pretty sure it will.

About the only map difference I see is an additional unnamed dead end road just west of NW Hickory St.

Overall I am very happy with the v6.75 mapset. I'm actually amazed at how up to date they are in my area!

Attachments

• test.JPG
    test.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 292
I just completed a rather long road trip and I have discovered far more problems with the new maps than with the version that came on my 910 orginally. One error that I reported seems to be corrected but now a highway that has been completed for a decade does not exist. And as usual my complaint about reststops. The latest POIs did not help much. When my computer crashed I lost all my backups but one partial. Is there a way to find on line when a new map cd was sent? This file shows late January but I think it was a backup with the new maps.

Is there a way to find on line when a new map cd was sent? This file shows late January but I think it was a backup with the new maps.

Are you trying to see if there is a later version of maps out to put on your 910? I know you can go to TomTom's website to check if you have the latest maps...

I find that strange that your maps would be missing a highway. Usually its the smaller roads that are missed. I would report the error to Map Insight.

new maps

When I spoke to customer service about another issue, i asked about the new maps. I was told that it was primarily an upgrade to the POI's and not much with respect to the maps themselves. On that basis, the cost for the upgrade for only POI's makes the whole thing appear rather silly.

In any case, an expensive map upgrade right on top of of another one reflects a lack of marketing knowledge by TomTom. Now - if they would just get their act together with respect to the traffic receiver...!

I know a revamped interstate interchange here has been corrected in 6.75 that was not in 6.65. So there are map changes............

I still contend that we should be more worried about FIRMWARE issues

Ok, so yes there are lots of niggly problems with missing or incorrectly identified geographic features in the latest maps. Agreed!

I'm still convinced that the last round of firmware updates absolutely induced a lot of strangeness into the navigation. You don't believe it? Try downgrading your firmware version a rev or two and try some troublesome routes that you are experiencing now.

I have no idea what changed in the latest firmware, but even in the short period that I have been using my TT1, I can very specifically identify some anomalies that coincide with the latest update.

Unfortunately, if you choose to permanently downgrade to older firmware, you give up QuickFix. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. Isn't that just peachy?

Ask a Question