New here with new TT XL 325 SE

Yes, that is the process.......

As I said, you do have the new map on your computer. The rest of the stuff (applications, voices) are free downloads using Home.

reformatted successfully, device was completely wiped out

tried extracting the zip and got the following error:

Error writing to F:\client.dat Possible cause disk full or system limits exceeded

I then opened all the objects in the zip to my pc, and the moved them all over, copy and pasting via explorer that worked successfully. I was then able to go to Home and see it, new version on my device etc was at 840

then went to use the device and it said I had a bad map, it was giving me the option to choose United States from the device, but always failed to load.

any other advice before I return it?

reformatted successfully, device was completely wiped out

tried extracting the zip and got the following error:

Error writing to F:\client.dat Possible cause disk full or system limits exceeded

I then opened all the objects in the zip to my pc, and the moved them all over, copy and pasting via explorer that worked successfully. I was then able to go to Home and see it, new version on my device etc was at 840

then went to use the device and it said I had a bad map, it was giving me the option to choose United States from the device, but always failed to load.

any other advice before I return it?

well somehow I formatted it again, started over, was able to successfully get the new US map files from my PC to my TT

when I go to TT home I can see on my device I have the map version 840.2570. However it says this item cannot be used because it needs to be activated first

it will not update and load any voices either.

I feel like I am taking one step forward, 2 steps backward

In the folder where you see the large zip file, there should be a cab file (see here) that contains the activation code. Open the cab file with winrar and copy its contents to the United States folder on your Tomtom. Then everything should work fine.

If you don't have that cab file, you'll need to rename mydocuemnts\tomtom\home\download to mydocuemnts\tomtom\home\downloadOLD and download the map again. The Tomtom servers are so overloaded with all the new purchases that the activation.cab file seems to be missing often in downloads.

Make sure you use "update my XL" to update your application to 8.082 (or later) on the Tomtom, and then disconnect and reconnect the Tomtom from HOME so that the application registers. Once registered, the map 840 should also appear under "Update my XL".

Last edited:
rundave,

I'm having the same issues as you with the 840 map all the errors and everything.. Did you ever get your tomtom to work right? Please tell me what you did to correct your issues. Thanks! George

First, I'd uninstall your present version of TT Home. Then reinstall with the latest version offered at Tomtom's website. Taking care that if you are running Windows 7, set TT Home compatibility to Vista. Second, I'd reset your device to factory defaults.

After this connect device and try to update to v840. If TT Home sees updated maps but does not apply it or TT Home reports that there are no updates vs. your v835 maps or TT Home offers you a discounted deal on a map that you know is covered by the Latest Map Guarantee; then you must contact TT support. They can push the map to your account, but you have to prove it is within the 30 days of purchase or gift receipt... I had to scan my receipt and email it to them. After that, they pushed the update to account, and I could update perfectly well.

If you can update, but it goes wrong technically, contact TT support.

Radio1,
I thank you for your reply. I got my unit back up and running with the map that came with it v835 and the satellite fix " for speeding up the start-up and lock of the satellites and I also have Samantha v520 computer voice.. The unit is now running smoothly so I backed it up with Explorer.
I have the latest version of TT Home installed I think v2.7.3.1894. I did try and update thru Home program and it said I was up to date.. So there is no need to install my map v835 first? That's what I was going to try next.. I was able to get a copy of the newest map on my computer using the LMG in Home but every attempt at installing upgrading my original map v835 failed. I had both error at times when I tried to install it or the TT unit just stopped working.. I was also going to try the manual install for the Map 840..

dhn suggested.. my thought was to make a temp folder on my computer then open map 840 unzip the zipped folder and then copy the USA/Canada map 840 and unzipped folder into the UAS/Canada 840 folder then copy that to my TomTom USA/Canada folder.. Maybe this will work!

One after thought.. I never used my unit before I attempted to update the map.. I wonder if this could have been the thing that was giving me issues trying to update to the latest map.. I would think the activation is sent to TomTom through home when connected over the Internet.. it may have just not seen my unit as activated when I attempted to update to the new map..
dhn, If you read this please if you would also give me your thoughts.. This is my best interpretation of your manual install.. Did I get it right? Thanks! George

Also does every one else get only automated answers to there questions on the tom tom's site help board posts?

With the manual install, you first use Winrar to extract the files in the cab file to the map folder in the unit, overwriting the files that are there.

Further, in the original downloaded map.zip file, besides the <map>.cab file, there is another .cab file. This file contains the .meta.dict file which is VITAL to the applcation 'seeing' the new map.

So, you use Winrar again to extract the .meta.dict. file from this .cab file and put it into the map folder on the unit.

dhn,
Thanks again! I never used "Winrar" before. Is Winrar in Vista or should I google it and download it to use?

Also something interesting, and maybe you can see why I'm getting this mixed info and explain it to me if you would..

My original install of Home was on my notebook.
I took the tomtom and plugged it into my wife's desk top and let it install home.. After the install I was told that I could download the updated map for free. I declined do to all the issues I had trying to update it before.. then it took me to regular TomTom downloads and updates. It had all the voices and Quick-Fix program there for me to download.. I checked and in mannage my Tomtom XL on my device it had one voice the computer voice and I didn't see the Quick-Fix program. I thought ok once I plugged it back into my notebook it would show what I know I had in it again.. It didn't.. Strange because I had installed two voices when I restored it Samantha and Mandy I also installed the Quick-Fix program when I restored the unit.. Samantha was there but the Voice Mandy and the Quick-fix program were still gone.. Also when I checked for updated on my notebook it listed none. Said I was up to date! Am I missing something or is this because I'm running Home now on two computers? Would home have automatically removed the two items in thew tom tom?
Also something unrelated. Data was moved a lot faster on my wife's desktop in both home and Explorer when I backed the unit up on her desktop..
The one thing I did was squeezed the USB plug together a bit to make it fit snugly into the USB port on the computer.. I wonder if this could have been my issue ? I'll soon find out!

My plan now being data transfer was so much faster is to try and let Home do the Map update on her computer after I use the unit for a week or so to see if it still runs ok.
If you would it may be easier for me if you could copy and past this post because I have so many questions in it. Then if you would answer it in another color right after my question or though would be great.. Thanks! George

WinRar can be found here. It is an application to extract files from a compressed .cab or .zip file and also do the reverse.

Select the first link at the top.

George, to be honest, I'm finding it more and more difficult to provide any sort of advice because you really do tend to make life difficult for yourself with all the stuff you are putting yourself through.

You can run Home on 2 computers and no, Home will not remove voices from your unit on its own. You must do so through the appropriate menu icon in Home.

I don't know why things went faster on your wife's computer. Maybe it has a faster processing speed and more ram, that will make some difference. Also, if hers is directly connected to the router and yours is a wireless connection, that may have something to do with it.

dhn,
Ya I know I make things difficult sometimes. I tend to try and over simplify things sometimes by over explaining things and so on.. Your right I know what you mean.. Sorry! That's why I'm just going to use the unit for a week or so now that it's running play it by ear and try and relax.. Our computers, the CPU speed are with in .3 hers being 2.3 mine being 2Gig. We both have a wired connection when I use my notebook at home and we have the same amount of RAM 3GB.. I just mentioned that because I'm hoping that it was the USB connection I tightened .. When connected to my notebook the write icon in the tom tom would keep halting.. 3 hours to backup in home on my notebook 20mins on her computer. Even backing up in explore was much faster on hers.. Anyway thank you for all that you have done.. You have helped me a great deal through out this ordeal! George

The 325SE is known for USB data transfer issues with the 5.5128 bootloader. What is the version of your bootloader? (go to the screen where you check the map version number, it's listed as "boot" directly above the map version number)

On the computer with the slower transfer, go to event viewer (it's under administrative tools in XP, don't know where it is in Vista) and see if it is reporting USB errors. That would be a sign of the bad bootloader and would mean your map install is likely to fail.

I've seen Manage my XL report incorrect info if you didn't restart your Tomtom after the most recent update. But never different info on two computers. Is it possible that you ran Manage My XL on one computer after an update but before a restart, perhaps that's why the list of files is different? And you're sure you're looking at the "items on device" tab on both computers?

Latest Map Guarantee will be auto-attempted once-per-device-per-computer. If you decline it, it won't offer it again. You then would have to manually re-attempt it under "Tools" -> "Use Latest Map Guarantee" on the HOME menu.

mvl,

Thank you for your time and patience! Ok My Boot 5.5136 I will hunt around and find my event log, I have Vista. I know I seen it before. I will get back to you on what it has in it but wanted to get a reply off to ya before shutting this thing down. Yes I was looking in the same tabs in Home on both computers. I had got into manage my XL on my notebook that was used for the week or two I had the TomTom. I just decided to hook it up to the wife's computer tonight just to see if I would have any luck with it.. Just got home installed backed it up in Explorer and backed it up in Home on her computer. seeing the differences is why I decided to not change anything for now and run the unit for a week or so.. The difference was in the offering of the updates. No updates offered on my notebook but quick-fix and all the voices I had pulled was offered in my wife's computer. I did copy the voices to my notebook before I deleted them from the tom tom last week.. Maybe that's why Home is not offering them on my notebook, because it knows I have them stored in my notebook. Is any of this making any sense to you? Again Thank you! George

Yes, I've seen the issue where HOME doesn't re-offer you missing voices and applications if it has already offered them to you.

With earlier releases of HOME 2.7, it used to take forever starting up because it re-evaluated all the old updates to re-offer (including hundreds of copies of the daily quickgpsfix file), they put in some fix where HOME appears to separately log what you have on your device and it never re-offers updates. Any drive formatting or manual installs confuse this log. So what you're seeing on your laptop isn't unusual.

To reset this log, you have to do the following:
- rename mydocuments\tomtom\home\download to mydocuments\tomtom\home\downloadOLD
- delete the %appdata%\tomtom folder

There's a similar USB data corruption issue with the XL340's bootloader 5.5128, and it is resolved with app 5.5136 on the XL340. I think the same holds true on the XL325SE but I haven't seen enough posts to be 100% sure. Since you have 5.5136, I'm pretty sure you'll be OK with Latest Map Guarantee. Just make sure you remove ALL computer voices first , as HOME does weird things if there's insufficient map space. Once the map is updated you can copy the computer voices back.

mvl,
I checked into my Event log on the notebook as you suggested and I was overwhelmed with events. I went through all the tabs as the only thing I can tell from the info is that my notebook is doing way more things it shouldn't be doing then should.. Tons of events and error for everyday of use.. I had only seen a few errors for its ports though...

Thanks for the info on how to reset Home in my note book.. I think I'll just continue to use the wife's desktop for use with the tom tom for now do to the better hand shake, data transfer rate. Right now I have all but the computer voice removed in the tomtom . I think it said I had 43.6mb free but I'm going from memory. Is that enough room to just update my map?
Strange thing is I am 110% sure I had the voice Mandy installed in my unit before I did the hookup and install of Home in the wife's computer.. Now it's just not there... Not asking why at this point I don't care... I feel better about how this is going to go now. Thanks!

Weird the first thing Home will offer you is the new map LMG on a new install with a new unit. It leads you to believe you can say yes to this and go through with the up date before ever doing a thing with the TomTom.. Wife has the car today but plan is to use the TT and see if it's still running smoothly for a few more runs, if so I'll go for the LMG from her desk top.. If all goes well I will fix my notebook so Home will see all the updates as you suggested.. I have a copy of the 840 map downloaded to it within Homes downloads and plan to use it in the event my wife's computer fails with the new map install.

The reason We decided to keep this unit was because after using it for two day it worked flawlessly and we loved it. It can't be all bad.. As you can tell this is our first GPS unit!

Mvl,
I try and keep my explanations shorter and my words fewer and will let you know how I make out in a few days to a week.. Thank you so much for taking the time to read through my over-complex posts and see through them enough to help me and my wife!!!! I know I can be a Pain in the butt sometimes. George & Penny

Let us know how things go.

Normally, Latest Map Guarantee should work on any compatible app version. The problem is that defective bootloader is preinstalled on XL325SE's and XL335S models.

It would have been better if home didn't even attempt a map upgrade until it you have upgraded a newer app. That would prevent the tons of problems that many of our members are having.

Hopefully all these issues are behind you now.

Ask a Question