New here with new TT XL 325 SE

TomTom Model(s)
ONE XL 325SE
Hi all!
Glad to be here!

I just got a TT XL 325 SE (TT.com recognizes it as a XL Black edition). I installed 2.7 Home and updated, backed up and tried the new map guarantee-- everything is up to date according to TT.

But I read the sticky and all maps are v840, does this also apply to unit?

I pulled up the following info:

Device AKXGG BJ156
App 8.802 (9667/090715) OS: 316116
32 MB RAM (free: 5.0MB)
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.5128
Map: 'United_States' v835.2423
Language: English US

My map appears to be an v835, is this correct? I know my unit is a special device because there is no expandable SD slot and I saw somewhere on the that this another another model were introduced this holiday for Wal-Mart...

So, is this it? I am a tweaking,modding kinda guy, any hints or heads up/advice??

Thanks. (And nice to meet you all!)

Welcome to TTF! Please read the announcement at the top of the forum you posted to give you suggestions on what do do with a new unit.

you said you made a backup. hopefully it is an Explorer backup, not Home. If it was done using Home, make another (Explorer) backup.

The latest map is 840 for all units. If it isn't offered using Home's Latest Map guarantee, then call support at 866-486-6866.

Thanks dhn for the info.

My computer has Windows 7 x64 but my Home 2.7 is Vista (no offerings for Windows 7). So, I am not sure why Home is saying there's no update; if there is one truly available...

Could be my install... Could be the unit does not have an update yet...

I just emailed TT support. I'll report back with an answer!

It's not you or your computer. According to a poll we're running here, Home's offer of the Latest Map Guarantee is so far failing over 40% of the times. So it's way too common for Home to report you have the latest map when you do not.

I am a little overwhelmed by all the info on this TT 325 SE model, sounds like it is a walmart only model issued out on black friday which is when I purchased mine, but there has been several issues.

mine has been working great, but it cant find several addresses.

I have lived in my home for 5 years, yes it was in a new development but I would expect it to be on a map, I haven't had issues with other gps's finding my address.

If mine says I have version 8.082 should I have the 840 version? When I do the update is says I have the most recent version. Is my only hope to call the CS number to get this fixed?

thanks in advance for helping a noob

Last edited:
Touch the satellite bars and the next screen shows the APPLICATION version number (which I think you were actually referring to). Now, tap the version number and the next screen will show the map installed and its version number (probably 835). The latest is 840.

Back up your unit using Explorer, not Home. Ensure hidden folders/files are showing.

Now, connect to Home and Update My Unit. If it offers an application, accept it and download and install.

Then, Home's Tools-->Latest Map Guarantee and see if 840 is offered.

If not, call support at 866-486-6866.

And do not apologize for asking questions when you don't know. We were all there once! :)

I've tried calling a few times, only to get busy signals...

I mean what would they do, even if they can help me; give me some kind of activation code to update??

No, if Home is not offering you the LMG (you ARE trying to get it with Tools-->LMG?) then, just to make sure, make an Explorer backup if you haven't already done that, and select Update My unit (again). See if an updated application is offered. If so, accept it and download and install.

If none of this is happening (no LMG, no app update) then do call support, you'll eventually get through. They can add 840 directly to your account for you to download.

You have created an account at TomTom to register your unit, right?

Yea.

I have tried going through Tools->LMG and through Update My XL also. In fact, I just updated it with a 'tiny' update from MapShare. I've also tried twice to call TT support. Both times I was on hold for than 20 minutes.

I know a lot people at this time of year will be calling... But it's odd that they don't even say how long an estimated wait would be... Oh well.

well what a pain

spent an hour and 30mins on the phone last night, finally got through to the CS only to be told I needed to get them a proof of purchase. got that to them this morning and spent another 45mins on the phone

everything was fine and dandy until the I started following the CS instructions. Here is what I did.

Just follow these steps to download and install your new maps:

1- on main menu page 2 of tom tom home, click on 'manage my one,' click on 'items on device,' select the map that is on your device. Then select backup so that you save the maps onto tom tom home.

2- also on page 2, click again 'manage my one,' click 'items on device,' select the map again, and then click 'remove.'

3- on main menu page 1 of tom tom home, click on 'update' where your map is there to download and install.

before I removed the old map, I noticed I had a new update, but the CS rep told me to back up the old one first, which was taking forever so I hung up hoping the new install would still be there.

well long story short, I have now removed the map from my device, and there is no longer an update available for me. so now I have an empty GPS, and am currently on hold again.

So when I go to Items on Device there is no maps, but when I go to Items on computer I have a .zip file but that version is still 835.2423 and is 769 MB

the new update that I had before was a few MB larger, but its gone.....GRRRR I am so frustrated.

Rename the download folder to downloadOLD and try for the Latest Map guarantee again.

I spent an additional 45 minutes on the phone last night with TT support (on hold).

I got a very nice tech named Nick... I explained what was going on, he sad I just needed to provide a proof of purchase and they could credit the map to me. I did tell him it was a gift and if I could not find the receipt, what would happen? He said that they'd probably break the rules because of the holiday.

I found the receipt, updated my status with a scan of it and called TT support today. I spent another 45 minutes on hold and got another very nice tech; he applied the map to my account and said that I just had to update through Home. I'll do this when I am at home.

So, a resolution... Awesome. But you know, the weird thing? If I had Home up and tried to update no v840 map showed up... But, if I had the Home app running and logged into myTomtom account- it would ask if I wanted to update my map for the special price of $9.95... But, both techs confirmed that all new Tomtom devices come with a 30-day guarantee...

Did you try for the Latest Map Guarantee using Home's Tools--LMG or did you try with Add Maps or with Update My Unit?

In any event, glad it seems sorted.

got through to a tech after waiting again, got rid of the one on my my computer

got a new update to show, downloaded in completely

2nd step where it said installing to internal memory ran for a good while and then failed

this is what the details were:

ERROR: HomeBase/IO: Error writing file: F:\United_States\cline.dat
@ .\portable\cfile.cpp(1947)
0000045D
in .\portable\cfile.cpp:1947
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/commit.js:82
error(textOrException);
1. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:1058
this._commitFailed(i, commitPage);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:79
return func.apply(obj, arguments);
3. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:77
this._errorCallback(e);
4. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:69
this._errorFatal(error);

Time: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 15:43:45 GMT

and advice on how to proceed? thanks again for the help very much appreciated

also now when I go to tomtom home, I still do not see a maps item on my device, but items on my pc show maps for usa and it is indeed the newe 840 version

thanks for the link to those instructions

followed them only to get an error when I move the contents of the zip file to my device.

Error writing to f:\United_States\cnode.dat Possible cause: disk full or system limits exceeded

If I go to my device(F:\) delete everything in the United_States folder, I have 91mb used on my device and 888mb free

when I go to my United_States.zip I show 102 files, and 797,225kb (778mb)

Im am about ready to give up, and just return this whole unit

Try removing any cspeechXX.dat files you see in the US zipped map folder on your computer. Then try the install again.

no luck I dont see files call cspeechXX.dat in the zip file on my pc

I have re downloaded the USA map etc, retried all of that with no luck

I dont know what else to try at this point

thanks again for the help

Okay, you DO have the downloaded 840 map in compressed format, right? That's the important thing.

So...........

Use Explorer to reformat your unit. Don't use quickformat. Now, use the link I showed to copy the map without Home. See if it works.

If so, connect to Home and an application should be offered. Accept it. And install.

Use Explorer to reformat your unit. Don't use quickformat. Now, use the link I showed to copy the map without Home. See if it works.

can you elaborate on the reformat? how do I do this from explorer, just right click on my f:\ drive and format everything? the entire drive?

Last edited:

Ask a Question