New GO 2505?TM vs. Go720

TomTom Model(s)
Go720
OK, so what would I be getting beyond the 720?

OK, a nice screen, for one.

Are the maps different/better?

At present, my BB Curve 8900 will not work 100% with the 720...
not complaining, just a matter of fact, and, it wasn't on the list TT provides as compatible phone, so, that's life.

I don't currently have live traffic, but, I hear that there have been issues with it (here) pretty consistently.

what exactly is the *big* benefit to this unit over a 720?

There really isn't one IMO, other than it's supposed to be a bit faster to compute routes. The screen itself can now rotate to portrait, and it is a capacitive touchscreen, allowing multi-touch. But for some reason they've decided not to go with a hi-res display. Otherwise in some ways a step back from your 720 which really offers more features and functiionality. Keep in mind too that until TomTom finishes Home 3 you can forget about map updates, additional POI's, celebrity voices , etc. The 24/2500's support infrastucture isn't ready, so I'm confused why Tomtom is even releasing these yet. Initially, they're not being well-received largely due to so many typical Tomtom features being unavailable to the latest models. A very disorganized release for the entire 1xxx and 2xxx line.

well, thank you for your response.

I find it terribly unfortuneate that TT is a company that can't seem to get out of their own way. It is almost like Beta video tapes of the day.

A superior product any way you sliced it, but some not -so-smart business decisions (IMO) popped them (Sony) out of the Video Tape market and it cost them dearly.

The e-mail soliciation I got from TT really didn't highlight why it was better, only that it was *new*....

I love my TT, but it seems there are a few things they could do to tie up loose ends.

I saw some posts regarding TT Home vs. the new units.

What were they thinking?????/

another company making money by accident?

Anyhow, I appreciate your response and insight.

what exactly is the *big* benefit to this unit over a 720?
A bit of speed, if you need it (I find the GO series to be plenty fast enough with planning), and the 5" screen on the 2505 model. Apart from that, nothing that my 740 isn't already doing and then some. I'm keeping the 720 for my wife's car, and the new 740 is in mine. When I picked up the 740, it was with full knowledge of what the newer 1XXX and 2XXX series TomToms would be offering.

When moving from a 720 to a 2505TM,

You add:
- 5" screen
- lifetime traffic and maps
- faster routing
- better text-to-speech
- favorites saved with new maps
- night-dimming menus
- easymenu
- easyclick magnetic mount
- alphanumeric addresses
- "you have reached your destination on your left/right"
- pinch-to-zoom / swipe gestures on menus
- less frequent crashes

You temporarily lose (promised to return, see here):
- computer loading of anything (maps, poi, voices, mapshare, etc)
- itinerary planning

You lose (with no promise yet of a return):
- PLUS weather/fuel/buddies/quickgpsfix
- SD expansion slot
- MP3 player / photo viewer
- FM transmitter
- remote control compatibility
- ipod compatibility (with 720 accessory cord)
- sound-based autovolume / light-based auto-dim
- compass
- built in aux out (accessory available on the 2505TM in Europe only)

Good summary.

So whats up with the audio out thing AGAIN!?! Same silly game they played with us here in the U.S. with the 740 by refusing to sell the requisite accessory here that makes it possible. Aux out for those on the E side of the Atlantic only. That and the POI issue (which they say they really will fix) are still my 2 deal breakers.

mvl - If the Go2505 gives "you have reached your destination on your left/right", is there any chance TT will give it to us on an upgrade for other recent units (XXL 540TM) ? This is one of the big pluses Garmin and others still have over TT.

You lose (with no promise yet of a return):
- sound-based autovolume / light-based auto-dim
- compass

My TomTom 2405TM has both sound-based auto volume based on engine noise and but according to the manual, the light sensor only tells it to switch between day or night mode if set.

Currently there is no mount with aux out but my TomTom 2405TM has a setting for aux out within the menu.

My understanding is that the GO 1000/1005/2405/2505 all adjust sound based on speed alone, and adjust brightness based on time-of-day only.

This is how the earlier ONE/XL models function, not like how earlier GO models function.

I saw the contradictory language in the manual, but I think that is a typo.

My understanding is that the GO 1000/1005/2405/2505 all adjust sound based on speed alone, and adjust brightness based on time-of-day only.

This is how the earlier ONE/XL models function, not like how earlier GO models function.

Hmm, I'll have to look at the menu settings in my TomTom to see what it says for those two features. Don't have it on me at the moment.

Hmm, I'll have to look at the menu settings in my TomTom to see what it says for those two features. Don't have it on me at the moment.

I checked the settings in my TomTom GO 2405 and it does say "Link volume to car speed". As for the brightness it doesn?t seem to have an auto adjust even though its listed as having a light sensor in the manual diagram. It does say "Switch to night colors when dark" in the brightness settings but I don't know if it switches based on the supposed light sensor under the microphone grill (where it is shown in the manual) or if it switches based off the time of day.

For the auto adjusting volume based on sound level feature, it can be added with a later update as the hardware already exists within the new GO 1XXX/2XXX units for this functionality. As for the auto adjusting brightness, it is currently unknown if there really is a light sensor under the microphone's grill. I'll try to do some testing with mine tonight to see if it will switch based on how light or dark it is in a room.

It doesn't have a light sensor period - if the manual claims it does have one then the manual is WRONG.

The day/ night switch is worked out using the GPS data for both time and position, for example its dark earlier in Northern Canada than it would be in say Texas - Mike

It doesn't have a light sensor period - if the manual claims it does have one then the manual is WRONG.

The day/ night switch is worked out using the GPS data for both time and position, for example its dark earlier in Northern Canada than it would be in say Texas - Mike

This explains why in my house (at night time), under the bright lights of my kitchen, my TomTom was still in 'night mode'. During the daytime in my dimly lit office, it was in 'day mode'.

The last TomTom Go device to actually have a light sensor and use it was the x40 series, the x50 units which look identical have the light sensor but they use position and time rather than ambient lighting intensity to control the backlight.

The newer 1K @ 2K series dont have the light sensor and rely upon GPS derived day night switch over time. Only time I miss the light sensor is when driving in tunnels or darker than normal mornings, the GPS derived switch over for day / night is generally very good - Mike

If the Go2505 gives "you have reached your destination on your left/right" why wouldn't it be included for updates on other current units (XXL 540) ?

If the Go2505 gives "you have reached your destination on your left/right" why wouldn't it be included for updates on other current units (XXL 540) ?

Tomtom almost never adds features from two major app versions newer to a device.

So the 540, which was released with app 8x, received many of the new app 9.x features. But i doubt it will get the left/right feature of app 10.x.

DARN !!!

Thanks mvl for the sad news, though with everything else the 540TM does I'm still very glad I got it. I continue to read how the newer (last few years) Garmins have disappointed many. This is TT's chance to get more of the market.

I have had my 2505TM for a month now. I also was disappointed that all the features were not available and are still not as of Jan 9th 2011. I think I should have been informed prior to purchase !!
I was tempted to return it but decided to keep it. It will be an amazing device once they iron out the switch to the Linux file system from a Windows based file system.
Introducing these units too early is a bad decision IMO but for $299, it is hardly a big risk. I still have my 920 if I need it.
One think I use is multiple destinations or waypoints where the directions automatically go from one destination to the next. This is not available yet but is coming .
I also need specific POIs like Diesel as I drive a diesel car. The ability to add specific POIs is also coming .
As the Moderator pointed out, the features are numerous and to me worth the wait. The window mount is magnetic and amazing. Easy removal makes it great for taking the 2505 out of the car. It tilts forward to remove and tilts back to put it back.
It takes a bit to get used to the web based updating after using the Home interface for my last 3 TTs but hopefully the new system will be better once up and running !!

It will be an amazing device once they iron out the switch to the Linux file system from a Windows based file system.
FWIW, the older units all operated on an embedded Linux platform. Current problems that need to be "ironed out" are nearly all on the server end at TomTom and the MyHome application.

What has changed is that the new TomTom operates as an IP based device, most likely using a proprietary transfer mechanism (nothing simple like FTP), modifications and updates are entirely controlled by a completely non-transparent mechanism over this new interface, and there is no longer user access to the file system.

I think this new system (tom tom home3) is tomtom's way of stopping map hackers. However I'm just grabbing at stars

Ask a Question