Age of a 2505TM?

TomTom Model(s)
VIA 1500M; One 3rd Edition
How can I tell how old one of these is? Given the history of battery problems in the early units (according to opinion) I hesitate to buy one from an online source. I have found a good deal but am I just buying problems? Here is the only info I can find on the prospective purchase: I always receive excellent help here. Thanks

MPN:
1CQ0.019.01 Brand:
TomTom
Screen Size:
5" Model:
GO 2505TM
UPC:

Not opinion, fact. You've done your homework!
Was it just battery problems or something worse. I can always replace the battery if that's the only issue. This particular device is said to be brand new and presumably under warranty.

The problem in early production were short-lived batteries. What's the source of the purchase?

Since this is a 2505TM, be SURE that it has either never been used and registered at TomTom, or that you are able to obtain the previous owner's email and password for the unit, or have it changed to something he can tell you about, so that you can continue to log in and receive the quarterly map updates for free.

Since this is a 2505TM, be SURE that it has either never been used and registered at TomTom, or that you are able to obtain the previous owner's email and password for the unit, or have it changed to something he can tell you about, so that you can continue to log in and receive the quarterly map updates for free.
It is supposed to be new. Thanks.

Very good. When you receive it, watch for any bit of paper in the box that contains a number that might be used to activate the lifetime map updates. I don't know how they were managing that on the 2505.

And when registering it, do NOT use your old email address for your ONE 3rd. Each device's updates are 'tracked' by the email address used to register them (silly, but it's always been that way), so attempting to re-use an address can confuse things to the point where you'll have to call tech support to straighten it all out.

I have owned my GO2505TM for 2 years now and never had the battery issue. I am overall very pleased with this GPS. I don't use the BT function or voice control at all. The routing is good and it calculates routes very quickly. My biggest concern is memory space with the lack of an
sd card slot for future maps being to large to fit on the device.

The 2505 has 4GB of memory, and while that may someday limit the size of the POI file that it will accept as part of a map set, all basic map information with IQRoutes included still fits in less than 2GB for units that are smaller than yours. The current North America map for a Nav3 unit such as yours is presently running about 3GB, and you should have at least 1/2GB left on your device for future increases in size.

So I wouldn't worry about the map overrunning you just yet!

The battery problems affected the 2505 models. They were a combination of software and hardware issues.

The software ones are fixed now, so there is some hope that a new 2505 will last longer due to those fixes. Under average usage, most customers experienced a 2505 battery lasting about 6 months before the software fixes.

Very good. When you receive it, watch for any bit of paper in the box that contains a number that might be used to activate the lifetime map updates. I don't know how they were managing that on the 2505.

And when registering it, do NOT use your old email address for your ONE 3rd. Each device's updates are 'tracked' by the email address used to register them (silly, but it's always been that way), so attempting to re-use an address can confuse things to the point where you'll have to call tech support to straighten it all out.
I have 2 Tomtoms with different email address associated with each. I will give my ONE 3rd to my son who will use his address for updates. I'll use the original address for the new one. Should I expect problems?

I'm assuming both units were registered with unique email addresses as you say. That has forever (well, forever unless you call TomTom tech support) associated those two units with those two email addresses. You do NOT want to re-use either of those addresses with the new unit without some account gymnastics, or you'll be on the phone with tech support trying to straighten out your lifetime map subscription for your 2505. Also, your son can't just use a new email address with one of your older units. Either he must use the original address you assigned to it, or the address and password need to be changed by you to suit his preferences.

Tech support can sort this, or you can TRY to use the web site to modify the email address for one of your units to something your son will use. Since you own the email and password, only you can make that change (or tech support, if it comes to that). It can be done on TomTom's web site (Connect unit and let Home do its thing. Meanwhile, go to www.tomtom.com - Make sure you're logged in for the correct unit email address - Support - My account details - change email and password using links in upper right corner.)

However, I'm not convinced that TomTom's server will correctly 'forget' that email address for the original account even after you've changed the account for the one old unit to something new. If it remembers it for your old unit, you've got issues that will require that phone call.

Cleanest possible solution: Provide your son with email and password for the old unit you will give him and let him use this to update the old unit as he sees fit. Use a new (unused) email address for your 2505 when it comes.

Cleanest possible solution: Provide your son with email and password for the old unit you will give him and let him use this to update the old unit as he sees fit. Use a new (unused) email address for your 2505 when it comes.
A thought.
Is it not possible the change ones own eMail and password for a device while being connected. (At least with Nav3 devices on MyDrive.)
If yes, connect with the old device, change eMail and password to something the son will use.

I'm assuming both units were registered with unique email addresses as you say. That has forever (well, forever unless you call TomTom tech support) associated those two units with those two email addresses. You do NOT want to re-use either of those addresses with the new unit without some account gymnastics, or you'll be on the phone with tech support trying to straighten out your lifetime map subscription for your 2505. Also, your son can't just use a new email address with one of your older units. Either he must use the original address you assigned to it, or the address and password need to be changed by you to suit his preferences.

Tech support can sort this, or you can TRY to use the web site to modify the email address for one of your units to something your son will use. Since you own the email and password, only you can make that change (or tech support, if it comes to that). It can be done on TomTom's web site (Connect unit and let Home do its thing. Meanwhile, go to www.tomtom.com - Make sure you're logged in for the correct unit email address - Support - My account details - change email and password using links in upper right corner.)

However, I'm not convinced that TomTom's server will correctly 'forget' that email address for the original account even after you've changed the account for the one old unit to something new. If it remembers it for your old unit, you've got issues that will require that phone call.

Thanks so much, I'll have to come up with a new address. Thanks to all; now on to a new question.

Ask a Question