NA 8.30 map available for download

Face it only problems you read about on here is from map updates and application updates. Rarely is someone driving down the road with a unit that works fine and it just quits.

I dunno, just my opinion its a combination of those two things...

Thanks for the perspective! TT emailed today and configured my account to accept the upgrade (full details in the other thread), so everything's all fine and dandy again. They've got three more quarters to help me forget my doubts -- good luck, guys!

If you subscribed to the map service, it is.......

Well, let's say it is prepaid with the subscription.

How do I go about getting this larger map update?? It is offered for sale to me, but not for free. I did subscribe to the map service, but all that was offered to me was the North American 2GB. Also, would I need to put a larger SD card in my 730 in order for this larger map to work?
Thanks so much,
Matt

The new map set does NOT like my mapsettings.cfg file, either. After 30 seconds or so, it loops at the startup splash screen. Removing my mapsettings.cfg file and letting the TT create it own works fine. I am NOT happy about losing all of my favorite information AGAIN! Will give them the standard earful tomorrow, as if it matters. This constant thrashing of the format for mapsettings.cfg is becoming tiresome. I think it's about time they pull the favorites out into a separate file type.

Last edited:
Two suggestions:

1. Many are suggesting the use of poi edit (from poiedit.com), load your copy of mapsettings.cfg into it and save each of your favourites listed. Save each one as a point in a custom poi category you create like _my_favourites.ov2. The _ at the beginning allows the caqtegory to 'float' to the top of your poi category list. Then just copy this ov2 file along with all your others from map to map.

Some have found that once you load the new map, in Home, you can use the emulator to delete just one of your favourites. Then your old mapsettings.cfg will 'take' in the unit.

Two suggestions:

1. Many are suggesting the use of poi edit (from poiedit.com), load your copy of mapsettings.cfg into it and save each of your favourites listed. Save each one as a point in a custom poi category you create like _my_favourites.ov2. The _ at the beginning allows the caqtegory to 'float' to the top of your poi category list. Then just copy this ov2 file along with all your others from map to map.

Some have found that once you load the new map, in Home, you can use the emulator to delete just one of your favourites. Then your old mapsettings.cfg will 'take' in the unit.
They might as well get rid of the entire "favorites" concept if they're going to blow things up with every map update.

As for the latter, yes, that trick still works as it did last time and I've used it. Picked that up here during the last map update even though I was spared the problem that time around. I have to wonder how many of TomTom's users would ever think to do this, though? The online community are the only ones who know about this. A workaround as obscure as this isn't a solution for the rest of the world. TT still gets the earful today.

I made a .ov2 file then navigate to poi near me,the ov2 file comes up and I say navigate to,then I go to make new favorite,recent destination and I get the things back one at a time . takes about ten min watching TV

Works for me....

As I posted in this thread: https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom-go-720-720t-730-730t-740/16385-favorites-restore-question.html , I didn't have any problems, because I used Windows to unmount the TomTom instead of Home. Home causes a reboot before disconnect, but unmounting it doesn't trigger the reboot (reboot happens when you unplug the USB). I don't know if that's the reason I didn't have any problems (that time or this time), but it couldn't hurt. (Assuming you have a backup, of course!)

I've been using the new maps for several days and I've found them much improved!!! One change has occurred using the 3D mode on my GO 630. With 8.25 the terrain surrounding the roadways where just colored areas, blue for water, green for parks, etc. Now with 8.3 the terrain in quite a few areas I travel, which are just across the river from NYC, are populated with building layouts and even the parks show accurate pathways through them. See below images for examples.

Near Newark Liberty International Airport/Cargo Area
dump934406768.bmp

Entering Bayonne
dump934406771.bmp

Park with paths
dump934406772.bmp

Park with paths and tennis courts on the left
dump934406773.bmp

I had a flawless upgrade. I'm wondering if how files are from explorer could be the problem for some. I simply copied over the files highlighted below (which include the 920 POIs from map 815) from my backup copy to my North America Map folder:

TomTomTransferFiles.png

I didn't rename the files being replaced, nor did I choose to copy and save the old file. I simply copied over those highlighted files, replacing the ones included with the new map, and everything seems to be working fine.

Hopes this helps for anyone still having trouble with the upgrade :)

For those of you who have trouble with looping:

I couldn't leave good enough alone. After I updated my map, I updated Home from 2.5 to 2.6. I was offered an application update; foolishly, I agreed to the app update without checking the version. Turns out that Navcore app update was actually a downgrade to 7.481. This really confused my TomTom and it now loops at start up asking me to select a language; once I did that I found out everything on my TomTom was wiped except for the custom splash screen. Thankfully, I backed everything up using explorer before updating my map last night.

If you're having the same trouble, make sure you didn't downgrade your Navcore app below 8.350. You may also considering downgrading Home to 2.5, as I did, if you're having trouble with updates or drive identification in 2.6.

Relatively smooth install on my 720.

I backed up my mapsettings.cfg file, then let HOME do its map subscription upgrade.

The download crashed about 80% of the way through the first try, then 90% of the way the second try, but finally finished fine on the third try. Tomtom has some type of download recovery process because future download retries resumed from where prior download attempts left off, it didn't try brand new downloads. To be sure, I tested the zip file with winrar and it reported no CRC errors. The install took about an hour, including the redownloads and installs.

Then I copied over mapsettings.cfg, renamed a favorite in HOME, and I was good to go.

I then went and reentered all my mapshare edits. I found the new map fixed about 20% of my errors, and introduced one new error. This was better than map 825 which fixed 2 of my 50 errors, and introduced one.

My key gripe about the IQroutes 10mph bug was not resolved.

Well, you are now the second user to report the loss of a pin when updating the map. This could be problematic.

I didn't see this post until now, sorry for the late response.

As far as losing my PIN, I have always lost my pin during a map upgrade. I have had every single map version since I have had my unit, and have always lost my PIN whenever I upgrade my map. Same thing happened on my ONE XL when I used LMG. Never any problems during installation. I'm assuming that losing the PIN is just a normal thing I guess.

The new map set does NOT like my mapsettings.cfg file, either. After 30 seconds or so, it loops at the startup splash screen. Removing my mapsettings.cfg file and letting the TT create it own works fine. I am NOT happy about losing all of my favorite information AGAIN! Will give them the standard earful tomorrow, as if it matters. This constant thrashing of the format for mapsettings.cfg is becoming tiresome. I think it's about time they pull the favorites out into a separate file type.

This is not typical. Your old cfg file should be working with the new map.I backed up my cfg file, then restored it after the map upgrade with no problems. If it works for me and some others, then it's not on TomTom's end where the issue lies.

I didn't even have to rename or delete any favorites.

I have a theory. My guess might be that the problems might have to do with the age of the mapsettings.cfg file. It could be that some people have been transfering over their old cfg files through many application upgrades, and each time a new application is released, a bit of code on the cfg file changes as well. The way that the new software writes to the cfg file may change a little bit with each software upgrade. A cfg file that has been through so many upgrades, may have too much of a code difference compared to the new code that the software looks for, and if there is too much of a difference, the software may just say "WTF is this!?!? Screw this!" and just gives up and crashes/loops.

Again this is just a guess. I also believe this theory because of the fact that renaming or deleting a favorite might re-write or restructure the tables located within the file. I could be wrong, but just guessing here.

Last edited:

I had the same splash screen "looping problem" with my GO730 but I was able to fix it by doing the following:

I did a pin reset then connected the gps to the computer and turned it back on. I went into Home and had it "Operate my Device". It did a download to enable the feature. I checked that my favorites were still there, then backed my way out to the Home main menu. I then disconnected my GO by clicking on the icon in the bottom right corner. When it rebooted everything was fine!

PS: This is weird. I just checked my backed up mapsettings.cfg file versus the the one on the TomTom. The initial file has a timestamp of today but 3 hrs in the future. The one on the TomTom shows Jan. 1 2000!

Attachments

• 1st.jpg
    1st.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 269
  • 2nd.jpg
    2nd.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:

Ask a Question