NA 8.30 map available for download

I'm installing it now. After making a backup of my internal memory. The map was available as an update when I connected to TOMTOM Home. I guess the map update service really works!

Based upon your sig line, I'll be interested whether application 8.302, which it appears you have installed, works with 8.30 or whether you need to dl application 8.350. Let us know.

Also, guess you'll have to change your map version in the sig line, eh? :p

I have application 8.350 on my device, forgot to update my sig. However after installing the new 8.30 map my unit freezes on the startup wall paper and light static is coming from the speaker. I've tried restoring my explorer backup but the unit never completes the startup sequence.

Another interest note is when I try to delete everything from internal memory the North_American_2GB folder cannot be deleted. I get a message that says "cannot delete...folder is not empty". The file MapUserPatch.dat, when deleted, returns when I try to delete the folder again.

Last edited:
I've got the update showing up too, for my ONE. Should this topic be moved to the "News" forum"?

(I'll try it out, AFTER I do my backups!)

After restoring my backup my 720 is working again. However I had to manually copy over my custom poi files and I did have to copy the mapsettings.cfg file to restore my favorites.

Now, though the phone settings are gone and the 720 will not detect my phone. I've been using it since August '08 without problems. Oh well, that's the price for always wanting the latest updates! I'll get it to work eventually.

I answered my own question. After installing the map I had to copy back the config file. One of these days it would be nice if they could write an install that perserved the config.

A general note: I downloaded the newest map and it breaks several things on my GO 630. First my Favorites is wiped out, but to get them back I restored MapSettings.cfg from an explorer backup. Second, my Bluetooth phone connection was removed and I needed to follow the procedure for enabling the phone again. Lastly, the "Operate My GO" in TomTom Home failed to start with a variety of errors. Fixing this is a little more involved.

1) Using explorer find the following using the path "C;\Documents and Settings\(your user id here)\Application Data\TomTom\Home\Profiles\(some combination of letters and numbers).default\extensions
2) Delete all the files that start with "NavCore.*.*.*@tomtom.com.
3) Start TomTom Home and when you click on "Operate My ***" you'll be prompted to download the required files.
4) After completing the above, use explorer to make all the files downloaded as read only, since they have a ".chk" extension which Windows will delete during a cleanup operation since that extension is used by the utility "chkdsk.exe" to find orphaned file fragments.

HTH,

DeliBaker

download north american update 920

Just downloaded the new north american updates. Download had no problems. When trying to restore favorites my unit began to loop. Before I copied over the mapsettings cfg file I made a copy of the downloaded NA map cfg file just in case and really glad that I did.The only way to stop the looping problem was to replace the original mapsettings cfg file after which it worked perfectly. When planning this download for each favorite I made a catagory and then added a POI of this catorgory from my favorite file. so each favorite had one catagory and one POI. Then when download was finished I added each favorite from these saved catagory and POI. A little extra work but easier then loosing these favorites. After this was done I checked the tom tom folder and right clicked on properties then went to tools and then to check files on my tom tom.for errors. It Did find errors and recovered everything easily. I recommend everyone to do this after you finish downloads and correcting everything. Anyway its finally finished and everything is working as it should. This download adds alot of mapshare corrected routes. Tomorrow, I will have to test out some of these routes.. Everyone should realize that in downloading a map, if it stops for some reason in the middle of the download make sure you remove this download via tom tom home from the computer download area then disconnect the unit from home and then restart it again to get the download again. Good luck to everyone.

Before upgrading to map 830, I made a backup of my mapsettings.cfg file. After upgrading, restored that file onto my device and had no problems. All of my favorites came back. No looping. The only thing I lost during the upgrade is my PIN code, but that always happens during every map upgrade.

All working well here.

Well, you are now the second user to report the loss of a pin when updating the map. This could be problematic.

USA_Canada_and_Mexico is available for 720s in the map store. This has the same full POI that the 9xx's have.

I's a whopping 1.9gb. Anyone know if NA_2GB subscribers can "pay the difference" and get this upgrade?

I was not offered a chance for the larger poi's when my 830 map got updated yesterday.

I haven't tried copying the larger poi files to it yet .........:eek:

If you subscribed to the map service, it is.......

Well, let's say it is prepaid with the subscription.

Just FWI: As I posted on the thread in the News forum, the new map "broke" my ONE. No response from TT by email, so I'm wiping the unit and restoring from backup. Never done that before; we'll see how it goes.

BTW, I know I'd have gotten better results by phone, but I don't have time and it's not critical until the weekend. But isn't bricking the average Joe's GPS the week before Memorial Day kinda stupid? I already know my next GPS won't be a TomTom -- hackable is nice, but functional is what gets you from Point A to Point B. Not that I'll throw this one away... like I said, hackable is nice.

Well, you are now the second user to report the loss of a pin when updating the map. This could be problematic.

II also lost the PIN code, along with favorites and other no big deal stuff.

It just disabled it. I dont think the functionality is lost with the pin code it just resets back to default (no code), just like losing favorites.

However I think I'm luckier then some in a sense because I have an XL 330 with latest map and latest app (8.014). In Home, operate my XL still functions fine, so all I had to do was re-enable the pin code.

Just FWI: As I posted on the thread in the News forum, the new map "broke" my ONE. No response from TT by email, so I'm wiping the unit and restoring from backup. Never done that before; we'll see how it goes.

BTW, I know I'd have gotten better results by phone, but I don't have time and it's not critical until the weekend. But isn't bricking the average Joe's GPS the week before Memorial Day kinda stupid? I already know my next GPS won't be a TomTom -- hackable is nice, but functional is what gets you from Point A to Point B. Not that I'll throw this one away... like I said, hackable is nice.

I have a bricked Garmin from a 100 dollar map upgrade I'll sell you cheap. :) I hate to say this, but they dont get much better. Key is, get it working right then dont F with it... :)

Garmin units can be just as finicky. However most people dont plug them in as often, there mapshare sort of thing isnt free. They dont have Operate my Garmin. And map updates only happen once a year or so, not 4 times a year.

I think the main thing is 1. Tomtom has a lot of features that software engineers cant keep up with. 2. More people are plugging Tomtom's in. aka its more likely to break if you give it the opportunity to break versus not giving it that opportunity...

Face it only problems you read about on here is from map updates and application updates. Rarely is someone driving down the road with a unit that works fine and it just quits.

I dunno, just my opinion its a combination of those two things...

Ask a Question