Downloadable new maps available

TomTom Model(s)
ONE v2
Starting today, TomTom is offering new map data for all their navigational systems. The new maps carry the version number 6.75 with content being based on the Tele Atlas' 2007.1 (January 2007) release.

Last year, TomTom users needed to be very patient until they finally released version 6.6 of the map material, which was back in November 2006. Almost one and half years later, interested customers can now download more recent maps. Besides the already available maps of Western Europe, several European regions, the United States, Canada and Australia, now maps for South-Africa, Hong Kong and Singapore can be purchased.

Read Full Article Here

I read the story and I think TomTom has committed a big marketing mistake in providing what we thought were new maps when we ordered the CDs for $6. Now we find out that they are not the latest maps and you need to spend a considerable sum to get the latest version of the maps. Now I can better understand all the comments on the so called latest maps not being correct. A bad case of misrepresentation.

I have a problem buying maps through the HOME application. There is no way to know what version of the maps you are buying (at least in the first couple of steps).

The current NA maps (v665.1293) is the same size as the new NA maps (v6.75) which is 1.4GB. I know the story mentions its available today and I do see the other new maps such as Map of Western & Central Europe (1.7GB) but I want to know for certain I'm purchasing the latest.

I'm trying to go the TT site to plug in my product code to see if I have the new maps but the site is down. Perhaps, they are fixing the site to account for the new maps.

We'll just wait and see.

Last edited:
Discount?

I bought my 910 just a few days ago. Is there a discount available for those of us who just missed the boat on buying a unit shipped with the new maps?

Starting today, TomTom is offering new map data for all their navigational systems. The new maps carry the version number 6.75 with content being based on the Tele Atlas' 2007.1 (January 2007) release.

Last year, TomTom users needed to be very patient until they finally released version 6.6 of the map material, which was back in November 2006. Almost one and half years later, interested customers can now download more recent maps. Besides the already available maps of Western Europe, several European regions, the United States, Canada and Australia, now maps for South-Africa, Hong Kong and Singapore can be purchased.

Read Full Article Here

What can I say.... i'm sitting here with my jaw wide open... They told ME specifically they didn't want me allowing downloads to the "latest maps"... now they are finally doing it.

I feel like a jerk for basically pressuring everyone to get the 6.65 version maps before it was too late. Now... after the "deadline" for the $6 deal has past, we find out there is yet another "new version"?!?!?!

If i was one that didn't qualify for the $6 upgraeandhad to pay the $49.... I'd be more than jus siting here with my jaw wide open....

"The TomTom shop is currently unavailable due to maintenance. Our apologies for the inconvenience. Please try again in a few hours."

Personally, I don't think you guys should be getting so excited. A change from version 6.65 to 6.75 is very minor indeed. I'm sure that the v6.65 you already have will serve you just fine for a good while yet.

I think we have to resist the need to constantly upgrade to the latest version, especially if the price is significant. We've seen this phenomenon with computer software, and many of us are content to use so-called 'out-dated' versions happily for many years.

So I'm sticking with what I've got for at least another year. I'm not getting on the treadmill of constantly having to have the latest version.

P.S. Is the forum software a bit different, or is it the wine?

Personally, I don't think you guys should be getting so excited. A change from version 6.65 to 6.75 is very minor indeed. I'm sure that the v6.65 you already have will serve you just fine for a good while yet.

I think we have to resist the need to constantly upgrade to the latest version, especially if the price is significant. We've seen this phenomenon with computer software, and many of us are content to use so-called 'out-dated' versions happily for many years.

So I'm sticking with what I've got for at least another year. I'm not getting on the treadmill of constantly having to have the latest version.

What can I say, I'm an early adopter :D

However you're right, being on the latest and greatest doesn't mean its the best. We already know people who went from v660 to v665 noticed roads that where there before on the old maps show up as Unamed Road on the upgraded version and other various things.

And yes, the forum has changed :)

I do not have much of an opinion about the "new upgrade" being better but it really appears that if one assumes they are purchasing the latest that there not be a latest and greatest 2.0 waiting in the wings. After the faux pax with some of the POI's I am not sure the lastest is the greatest anyway. Now I feel better.

Wow, unbelievable. Historically, the way TT manages map versions it's close to impossible to ever really tell if you have the LATEST. They need to put out a "what's new in this version" along with specific version numbers.

As a TomTom GO700 owner, I'm one of those people who paid $50 for the latest map upgrade. Honestly, I don't know how I feel. Part of me is ticked that they came out with a new update so soon, making my $50 update "old news", but on the other hand I'm happy that TomTom is finally updating their maps more than once ever two years or something ridiculous.

I won't be updating for at least another year, regardless of what TomTom is currently offering. If my wife sees anything more on the Mastercard bill with "TomTom" on it, I'll be able to post test results of how far a petite but rather angry wife can throw a GO700.

I'm really bad about keeping and using computer software a little too long. For example, I just heard that Windows 98 isn't the latest? Whazzupwitdat? Haha. Just kidding. I'm running XP, but you likely won't see Vista in my house for another year or so...at least.

I guess it's kudos for TomTom for upgrading their maps more often. However, I too wish they would list the version numbers on the download page like everyone else in software development does. I wonder why they don't?

nono.. 660.1215 to 665 is minor lol.

I paid over $50 (incl. shipping and taxes) for the 'new maps' and I am ticked! What makes it worse is that the so called new maps were not too good! This on top of their decision to stop SDK support ... I am sick of TomTom.

I paid over $50 (incl. shipping and taxes) for the 'new maps' and I am ticked! What makes it worse is that the so called new maps were not too good! This on top of their decision to stop SDK support ... I am sick of TomTom.

I admit I'm a little out of the loop lately -- did they really stop SDK support?

No need to feel angry. TweekMe has called TT Support to check. The new downloadable maps are the same ones we have.

QUOTE FROM TT SUPPORT in regard to my complaint about dropping SDK support.
"Thank you for sending your recent letter regarding a suggested enhancement to our software. We value our customer's input and appreciate the time you have taken to provide yours. I have forwarded this on to product management for consideration.

Wow I got action didn't I. It is just a suggested enhancement. :p :p :p

:mad: But then they stuck in a commercial.

"Please remember that we're offering our latest map upgrade at a special price until June 15th, 2007, once the promotion has finished the US and Canada maps will go back to it's normal price."

QUOTE FROM TT SUPPORT in regard to my complaint about dropping SDK support.
"Thank you for sending your recent letter regarding a suggested enhancement to our software. We value our customer's input and appreciate the time you have taken to provide yours. I have forwarded this on to product management for consideration.

Wow I got action didn't I. It is just a suggested enhancement. :p :p :p

:mad: But then they stuck in a commercial.

"Please remember that we're offering our latest map upgrade at a special price until June 15th, 2007, once the promotion has finished the US and Canada maps will go back to it's normal price."

LOL, I got the EXACT SAME MESSAGE! Talk about copy and paste eh - Link

Ask a Question