Maps are now device specific!!!!!!

My guess is that you're stuck with what ever HOME tells you that you're "allowed":rolleyes: to have!:mad:
You know, they really should advertise up front, "This is your device, these are the maps that we offer for sale, and these are the only maps that are supported by this device.

Especially since a month ago, I could select those for purchase, and that was a big part of why I bought a TT product.

Update: Hmm... I checked again tonight, and lo and behold, it appears as though foreign maps are again available for purchase, although I still don't understand why TT quotes maps in Euros for a US purchased device.

Last edited:
Especially since a month ago, I could select those for purchase, and that was a big part of why I bought a TT product.

Update: Hmm... I checked again tonight, and lo and behold, it appears as though foreign maps are again available for purchase, although I still don't understand why TT quotes maps in Euros for a US purchased device.

You could always buy foreign maps, it's the larger North America map that has been locked out to those of us who don't own a top tier product.
Other people have complained about the Euro thing too, it's because Tom Tom is a European company and it's easier for them to list one currency for their products instead of listing every single currency of every country they do business in

Two One LE's

Thanks for this update on the maps...
it answers some of my questions...
sadly i broke the screen on my ONE LE, i've managed to get hold of another one. (the cheapest version with an SD slot) So now i have two LE's..BUT it wont let me copy over any of my saved maps? - It says that "that they cannot be installed due to device restrictions"
I can only download another copy of the Europe map i purchased though the TomTom site...even now i have changed my device via the site.
I have the most recent US/Canada map on an SD card, but my new device wont find the map. (even though HOME says its on there)
I'm going to try Customer support tomorrow, but anyone got any suggestions?!
I mean, do they expect us to re-purchase all the maps just cos we've bought another device!
NOT happy :mad:

Last edited:
Thanks for this update on the maps...
it answers some of my questions...
sadly i broke the screen on my ONE LE, i've managed to get hold of another one. (the cheapest version with an SD slot) So now i have two LE's..BUT it wont let me copy over any of my saved maps? - It says that "that they cannot be installed due to device restrictions"
I can only download another copy of the Europe map i purchased though the TomTom site...even now i have changed my device via the site.
I have the most recent US/Canada map on an SD card, but my new device wont find the map. (even though HOME says its on there)
I'm going to try Customer support tomorrow, but anyone got any suggestions?!
I mean, do they expect us to re-purchase all the maps just cos we've bought another device!
NOT happy :mad:
The maps are specific to a device. If you bought a new unit, it should have it's own map, with the newest map guarantee... So, why do you need to copy the old map to the new unit?

...because my other map was the latest version had all my POI's and Favourites on it, and was on an SD card. ( I didnt realise you could just copy over the POI's. - Hindsight is a wonderful thing.)

Anyway i have just gotten off the phone with TomTom, they will take back my old unit, for repair, but not under warranty, cos i broke the screen.- So we will see how much that costs - Fair enough.
HOWEVER, the additional map i purchased through the TomTom website with my OLD unit, should have been also linked to my OLD unit.
So i was told by TomTom that by installing that map on my NEW device I was breaking the copyright regulations!
ie. If you buy a new device to replace an old one. You have to re-purchase every map you had previously bought!

(Apparently i used a known loophole...you can change the device code linked to your account and download the purchased maps to it) - i wonder how long this will last?

I understand they are trying to stop illegal copies but these units arent going to last forever, and expecting people to repurchase something they have already paid for isnt going to do TomTom any favours.It's like re-purchasing your entire CD collection because you get a new stereo?!

once last thing...Now i know i am in the UK, but to give them their dues, the customer services were very helpful. I just think their policy is unworkable.

Last edited:
OK, what am I missing here?:confused:

If you venture there make sure you make multiple backups of your device and be prepared for the possibility of turning your GPS in a paperweight......

Last edited by a moderator:
ie. If you buy a new device to replace an old one. You have to re-purchase every map you had previously bought!
:mad:
That SUCKS!!! That is wrong!!! I think if I buy one copy of a map, I should be able to transfer that map to any one of my GPS units that I may own! I understand what they're trying to do, but really. I guess if you could maybe register the device codes when you bought a map, if you owned more than one unit, that may be a solution.
:confused:

I was going to do this upgrade but bought a 720 instead. What I find funny is that I was in Wal-Mart yesterday and saw the new 2008 Garmin update map for all devices for $69.99. Just walk in store and buy no hassels. Tomtom is running there sales into the ground in my oppion.

I was going to do this upgrade but bought a 720 instead. What I find funny is that I was in Wal-Mart yesterday and saw the new 2008 Garmin update map for all devices for $69.99. Just walk in store and buy no hassels. Tomtom is running there sales into the ground in my oppion.
Yeah, I guess that would be a lot simpler than they way they have done it, and their servers obviously can't handle the increased traffic

Yeah, I guess that would be a lot simpler than they way they have done it, and their servers obviously can't handle the increased traffic

In Europe, consumers can buy new maps for their TT units already on sd cards from retailers. That method would also make sense here in NA.

In Europe, consumers can buy new maps for their TT units already on sd cards from retailers. That method would also make sense here in NA.
Yes, and then maybe, just maybe, we would be allowed to choose which map we wanted to use!

Having spoken to UK customer services. I think you get an activation code for your map if it were on an SD card. Therefore still linking it to a single device. - but i'm not sure. (the lady at customer service asked her manager if i could get a new activation code.) Although I've never bought a new map on SD format. They are more money than the download.

Having spoken to UK customer services. I think you get an activation code for your map if it were on an SD card. Therefore still linking it to a single device. - but i'm not sure. (the lady at customer service asked her manager if i could get a new activation code.) Although I've never bought a new map on SD format. They are more money than the download.
What device do you have, and what map are you buying?

I bought a One LE (or my american fiancee did) from Best Buy. So i had the USA/Canada Map. I bought the Wesstern Europe Map since i live in the UK.
(I put the US map on a SD card. Europe on the Device)
My first unit broke - so i got another ONE LE from ebay....so i have western europe downlown, but not the US map from my card)
i have yet to send my old device off to TomTom. - apparently you have to have proof of purchase - kinda tought for me.

I bought a One LE (or my american fiancee did) from Best Buy. So i had the USA/Canada Map. I bought the Wesstern Europe Map since i live in the UK.
(I put the US map on a SD card. Europe on the Device)
My first unit broke - so i got another ONE LE from ebay....so i have western europe downlown, but not the US map from my card)
i have yet to send my old device off to TomTom. - apparently you have to have proof of purchase - kinda tought for me.
The way I understand it, when you buy a map, you can only use it with one device.

Ask a Question