Maps are now device specific!!!!!!

TomTom Model(s)
One
Hey everyone.

Those of you that have seen my earlier thread know that I have been trying to get the newest NA maps for my One. However TomTom appears to have thrown a kink into this.

I just got off the phone with Tech support. They said that maps are now device specific and are unable to be installed on devices they were not meant for. I made sure I told the guy (very politely) that I have been using the old NA maps for the past year and have "friends" that are using the New NA map as we speak. I'm assuming that in the latest release of these maps, they implemented this little change. Home will not even download the map locally to your computer as a result of this.

He also mentioned how the bulk of the NA map is text to speach files. He also did concede that there are less POI's in the USA and Canada maps but the overall street coverage is the same.

So I had to settle for my NA map being switched out to the USA and Canada map. And honestly, I don't really care. I get mapshare now and that's all I really cared about in the first place. I also made the suggestion that if maps are only designed for certain devices, you should have to input your device code before you can download a map. Home does this, but the website does not. This would solve the problems before they even started.

So looks like the days of new NA maps on the One are over. Unless you guys figure out some other way to do it. Good Luck!

He also mentioned how the bulk of the NA map is text to speach files. He also did concede that there are less POI's in the USA and Canada maps but the overall street coverage is the same.QUOTE]

Since I personally know this is not true, I'd not put all my faith in the other support comments. Might be the case, but coming from tomtom support people, I'll wait and see. :D

???? Hoax.
Running WE & CE Europe v7.10 map (size 2.1GB) mentioned for tt920 on my TT1 v2 with 4GB SD-card without any problems, except text to speech. TT1 does not manage that.

Yup, he's right. This is just fantastic. I paid for the 920's North America map to put on my 4GB Transcend non-HC SD card, and HOME won't let me download it, saying it isn't for my device. :mad: :mad: :mad:

That doesn't make the map device specific. That has been a problem with home for some time from what I read here.

The NA maps run on any unit if you have the space on a card to hold them/

That doesn't make the map device specific. That has been a problem with home for some time from what I read here.

The NA maps run on any unit if you have the space on a card to hold them/
Yes, but you're missing the point here. HOME does not even let you download the map. I have paid for the 920 NA map, but Home will not let me download it. Is there any way around it?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 501
Last edited:
I looked at the screenshot, and I believe mine always said that. I've not really fully read the threads on how to get the map - but is there a step or something that you are missing?

I looked at the screenshot, and I believe mine always said that. I've not really fully read the threads on how to get the map - but is there a step or something that you are missing?
Not that I know of. I had the 4GB card in the TomTom, copied all of the files onto the 4GB card that I had on the internal memory, deleted the USA/Canada map folder, booted up the TomTom to make sure it worked, then connected it and opened HOME.

I really have no idea what I'm doing wrong or missing. If someone who has gone through this before could please give me some insight as to the process they did, I'd really appreciate it. And yes, I purchased the 920 NA map from the UK store. :( :confused:

In your NA map folder, do you have a "NA".meta.dct file? Where "NA" is the name of the map and notice the double extentions. If not, you need to have the map activated with your individual GPS system before you can use it.

In your NA map folder, do you have a "NA".meta.dct file? Where "NA" is the name of the map and notice the double extentions. If not, you need to have the map activated with your individual GPS system before you can use it.
I'm not sure what you're referring to. I have no folder on my computer or SD card, as I cannot even download it. HOME will not let me download it. How would I even go about activating it? :confused:

I'm not sure what you're referring to. I have no folder on my computer or SD card, as I cannot even download it. HOME will not let me download it. How would I even go about activating it? :confused:

Instead of Update My Unit and getting the problem with the 'incorrect' map, just for the heck of it, try 'Addd Maps, etc' with the sd card in and see if the same map gets offered.

I spoke to several people at tomtom last night they said this was a recent change they made. it will not let you load any map that is not intended for your device. Me and tech support tried for an hour to downloaded to my device but there is no away around this new fix in home.

Instead of Update My Unit and getting the problem with the 'incorrect' map, just for the heck of it, try 'Addd Maps, etc' with the sd card in and see if the same map gets offered.
Wouldn't that just take me to the area where I could buy another map, and download the one I already purchased?

I spoke to several people at tomtom last night they said this was a recent change they made. it will not let you load any map that is not intended for your device. Me and tech support tried for an hour to downloaded to my device but there is no away around this new fix in home.
That's not good. :( What did you end up doing, or what did they offer you? Do you think they'll give me a refund? I don't need the 7.10 USA/Canada map since I already have that.

Wouldn't that just take me to the area where I could buy another map, and download the one I already purchased?

That's not good. :( What did you end up doing, or what did they offer you? Do you think they'll give me a refund? I don't need the 7.10 USA/Canada map since I already have that.
I was given a refund, i then purchased the regional map for Northeast midatlantic since i live in that area.

I was given a refund, i then purchased the regional map for Northeast midatlantic since i live in that area.
Thank you for posting that! That's a huge relief! :D I was afraid they would refuse a refund because of trying to purchase something that isn't intended for my device and punish me. That is very, very good to hear indeed! :cool:

Well, if this is true, then TomTom is going to REALLY hurt their rep... What is the sense of allowing an SD card in a One XL-S (for example) if you can't buy the maps you want for it (there is no media player or anything like that).
It's not that the NA maps aren't MADE for it, since they do work, it's because they don't WANT you to buy the all in one, inclusive map - they want you to buy separate regional maps.
And to say that the USA & Canada are the same as the NA maps - they're smokn' something. At a minimum the roads are more detailed (4 lane divided highway shows up as two lines, where on my usa & canada it shows up as one, one way streets are better marked than on mine, etc) and there are many more POIs as well.

Makes me kinda wish I had splurged the extra $150 for a 720... But now I am just annoyed with TomTom because I WAS planning on buying the NA map after the next major update.

<snip> At a minimum the roads are more detailed (4 lane divided highway shows up as two lines, where on my usa & canada it shows up as one. <snip>
On my TT One 3rd, I of course have the US / Canada map. 4 lane divided highway shows correctly... divided hwy. I'm sure you're right though on the POIs.

I will have to verify, but I'm pretty sure that on mine, when in 3d view, the 4 lane divided highway only shows as a single line (when you browse the map, though, it comes up as two lines - which is 2d view). I really noticed it when I was with my buddy who has a 720 with 710.1584... *shrug*
But the point remains, the maps are different.

Yup this new feature has absolutely nothing to do with whether you can fit and use the NA map on your SD card or not.

If Home sees a device connected other than the unit the map you are trying to download is meant for, your SOL.

You could have a 1000000000TB card installed in your One. And you won't be able to download it.

I don't know if this would work or not but you could try borrowing someone's unit that the NA map is intended for, connect to home, try and download the map and see what happens. If you can download it, then reconnect your one and see if you can install. I doubt it would work but worth a shot.

Ask a Question