Map ver. 840 is now out

2561 is the BUILD but not the map version itself.

Tap the satellite bars and the next screen shows the APPLICATION version. Tap the version number and the following screen shows the map instead and its version.

2561 is the BUILD but not the map version itself.

Tap the satellite bars and the next screen shows the APPLICATION version. Tap the version number and the following screen shows the map instead and its version.

I did as you suggested, and the second screen says that the map is United_States 840.2561.

The last 4 digits vary per Tomtom model, usually representing countries of coverage or the presence/absence of IQroutes.

As DHN said, If you have 840."anything" then you have the latest for your model.

What little section is that Piano?
Just a tiny section of sharp turn coming off from Rt-110 toward Dracut.
Probably noone cares since it's just a fix, even a small fix but I do :). One big reason when I decided going for the Tomtom after owning both Magellan and Garmin was this particular section.
I think Tomtom / TeleAtlas heading the right direction.
In other hand, since Google parted way with Tele Atlas, I don't know which map they use but it's horribly bad.

So here's my question cuz i haven't been able to navigate around this forum yet to find good simple answers... Still looking. :)

I purchased the 340XL and want to update the map. Says i don't have enough space of course and I don't know if it's as simple as deleting (after copying it to my PC) the original and then letting Home put it in or is it more complicated than that.

Is working with any TT as easy as drag and drop what you want in and out of the unit? if I don't want certain voices, drag em out. if I want new pictures, drag those in etc?

Is there a good location with in the forum that can direct newbies like me on how to do these basic tasks and such?

Last edited:
So here's my question cuz i haven't been able to navigate around this forum yet to find good simple answers... Still looking. :)

I purchased the 340XL and want to update the map. Says i don't have enough space of course and I don't know if it's as simple as deleting (after copying it to my PC) the original and then letting Home put it in or is it more complicated than that.

Is working with any TT as easy as drag and drop what you want in and out of the unit? if I don't want certain voices, drag em out. if I want new pictures, drag those in etc?

Is there a good location with in the forum that can direct newbies like me on how to do these basic tasks and such?

I assume you have a 340XL as I'm unaware of a 430 model.

Step by step:
- Plug the Tomtom into your computer and run Tomtom HOME
- Go to Manage my XL, and click on the "items on device" tab
- Click the plus next to computer voices, and remove all except for the one you use.

Then you should have more than enough space for the map.

Tomtom HOME isn't as simple as drag and drop, but it's relatively straightforward to use once you play around with it for a bit.

- Click the plus next to computer voices, and remove all except for the one you use.

Then you should have more than enough space for the map.

I did delete 1 or 2 of the "bigger sized" voices I don't use and I believe it's copying in the way it should now.

I guess my question turns to this. The map is like over 1.7Gig, and I deleted i dono maybe 70Mg or so. Does this just simply give you enough space to work with and away you go or is there something bigger at play here?

Perhaps I should have posted here first. In another post I mentioned that the building footprints in the Chicago area are no longer three dimensional but flat. Can anyone confirm this with their 840 maps? Just out of curiosity.

EDIT: I actually found out that the "flat" building footprints are due to antialiasing in navcore 9 and not the map. Running the 840 map in app 8.371 includes the "3D" building footprints. Just FYI.

Last edited:
I did delete 1 or 2 of the "bigger sized" voices I don't use and I believe it's copying in the way it should now.

I guess my question turns to this. The map is like over 1.7Gig, and I deleted i dono maybe 70Mg or so. Does this just simply give you enough space to work with and away you go or is there something bigger at play here?

That's pretty much it. The map barely doesn't fit, the voices are big enough that clear up just enough space.

Not Using Golden Ears Bridge for route planning

Map 840 released today. I am delighted it has the Golden Ears Bridge on it! With lane guidance no less!

While the Golden Ears Bridge might be part of the new map, online route planning to destinations south of the Fraser River still include the Albion Ferry which was closed in July, 2009. As a brand new TomTom user, I'm wondering if I shouldn't have gone with Garmin instead if the website maps and routes are this out-of-date.

Plus I've now been on-hold an hour waiting to talk to a TomTom customer service rep.

Last edited:
In planning preferences, you can set your unit to always avoid ferries.

The online planning does not have all the preference selections that your unit does.

If it's permanently closed, you can use mapshare to delete the road on your device.

While the Golden Ears Bridge might be part of the new map, online route planning to destinations south of the Fraser River still include the Albion Ferry which was closed in July, 2009. As a brand new TomTom user, I'm wondering if I shouldn't have gone with Garmin instead if the website maps and routes are this out-of-date.

Plus I've now been on-hold an hour waiting to talk to a TomTom customer service rep.

deBare: When considering GPS model you need to research your area. For example, my street, actually my whole subdivision has been there for 3 years. Both TomTom and Blackberry and Bing maps have the streets. Yahoo, Google and all other sources I have seen don't. In speaking to a buddy who, like me was an avid Garmin man, I decided that for the areas that I travel TomTom was best and it has proven so. For out in the woods, etc, I have my trusty 60CSx and wouldn't stray from Garmin in that regard.

Perhaps the area you live in Garmin provides the best maps. You can find out by going to Garmin's web site and viewing their current maps. With TomTom you can go to the route planner and see the maps that TomTom currently has. IMHO you need to decide based on your area. TomTom is number one for anywhere I have gone so far.

J

If it's permanently closed, you can use mapshare to delete the road on your device.

Unless I'm doing something wrong, telling the TomTom that the street doesn't exist does nothing other than submits it through MapShare the next time you connect. There are dozens of streets with 2 miles of my house that don't exist. My TomTom 130 keeps trying to route me over them even though I've marked them as non-existent. I've had to set the road as to being blocked in both directions to get it to stop trying to route me over them.

All in all, I'm very disappointed in the quality of Tele Atlas maps. They may be good in other countries, but they are terrible in Ohio. I've submitted changes through TeleAtlas.com and absolutely nothing has been done in the 9+ months after being submitted.

Unless they get this stuff fixed, my next GPS unit will be a Garmin even though they are more expensive.

Really you have to research your local area. For where I am and where I have traveled Tomtom is best and Garmin is years behind. TomTom had my street on it within an update or 2 of being paved, but Google and YAHOO maps still don't have the subdivision 2 years later, neither does Garmin maps. The companies use different sources so I always suggest that people take a look at the respective web sites to see if the maps in their area are up to date.

Unless I'm doing something wrong, telling the TomTom that the street doesn't exist does nothing other than submits it through MapShare the next time you connect. There are dozens of streets with 2 miles of my house that don't exist. My TomTom 130 keeps trying to route me over them even though I've marked them as non-existent. I've had to set the road as to being blocked in both directions to get it to stop trying to route me over them.

Yes, you need to block in in both directions to perform the equivalent of erase. All the reports on the first mapshare screen (like blocking roads) are performed realtime on your device. The reports on the "report other error" submenu are just reported with no realtime changes.

so are maps for all of north america (i.e.870) exactly the same as other 870 maps? such as Canada_USA_Mexico ? wouldn't all maps be the same for the entire region of North America?
just curious to know.....

Ask a Question