Map ver. 840 is now out

Does anybody know if the next map North America map (ver. 840) will have the new Golden Ears Bridge included. It is a 6 lane bridge that open on the 14th of June and crosses the Fraser River. It links the communities of Maple Ridge and Langley in British Columbia, Canada. I have made map correction many times but the correction has never been included in the usershare updates to my map. I will be VERY disappointed if it is not on the MAP 840 that is scheduled for release on the 20th November!

Look here

Google, which still uses TeleAtlas for part of Canada does not appear to show it. Thus, I would doubt that TT's 840 version would.

But, wait till another Canadian has purchased the 840 map and be sure.

That's not great. A 6 lane bridge that was being built since June 2008, was completed in June 2009, will not show up until possibly March 2010 (or later). Not so cutting edge technology, now is it?

I still don't see it available for download. Anybody know when it will be released? Also, anybody have any idea what will be updated? Would be nice to see lane assistance for Canadian freeways

Tomtom's kept to a 3-month schedule, which means the map should be released in November.

Tomtom's had quite a few new products and updates this month, so I assume they're trying to squeeze the maps into a gap in the product releases to not overwhelm their customer call centers.

They just released app 9.022 for their newer models, which saves favorites for a map update, so I assume the map update is coming soon. My best guess is in 1-2 days, since they want to beat the flood of call centers calls when all the black friday new owners get their devices.

I kind of expect the map release will slip into the first part of December. But in any case, the update should be quite soon. And don't look for LMG to be working very well. How many "latest maps" do you think TomTom wants to give to $59 devices sold on Black Friday? :eek:

Map 840 released today. I am delighted it has the Golden Ears Bridge on it! With lane guidance no less!

I just got my subscription update to my 720.

Looks like Tomtom removed the HOME-based preservation of favorites in HOME 2.7.1, probably due to all the crashes.

The newer devices with app 9.022 appear to get an app-based preservation of favorites, so Tomtom must have moved this feature to the client.

To preserve your favorites on older models, you need to do this and then this.

Last edited:
Initial impressions of the 840 map (in Boston):

Significant lane guidance additions, so far it's literally "everywhere". I have not yet found a place where I wanted to see lane guidance and didn't see it. Most additions are correct, some are erroneous and I'll mapshare-report them to Tomtom.

Also, for some intersections, this u-turn bug is fixed. Not all places, so there must be some flag in the map that charges the 5-minute penalty in some locations vs others.

Lastly, there's a new problem in some rotaries: Instead of a rotary (circle with arrows), it shows a lane guidance icon with tons of arrows. I don't know if this is because I am running app 8.302 that doesn't permit mapshare rotaries.

Last edited:
upgraded to new map 840.2568 went smoothly
of course with the help of mvl,s links
otherwise the unit just keep on rebooting
have all the favourites in as well

thanks much mvl

have a nice day

Last edited:
Well that was refreshingly smooth. Started the map update at 4:32, along with the latest firmware update. Just finished everything, installed ready to go, at 5:17.

45 minutes from beginning to completion, even using a wi-fi connection. Well done TomTom.

Since last time around, I got an insufficient memory error until I deleted the map first.. I did the same this time around... Are there any files to copy back to get my preferences back? (Besides the manually added .ov2 files).

Thanks

I haven't updated in over a month and plugged it in just now and saw the update. Hope it works out well. Ohh and HI ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Long time no talk!!!!!

Also just plugged in today and got the new updated "USA" map (that is all I wanted) don't know what all is on it as have not done any riding or driving yet with it, so will wait and see, I was impressed with the last map update as it added a lot compared to what I previously had.
Anyhow..........HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL.........This forum rocks.............:).......John

I've just downloaded and installed the new map. The process was very smooth---no problems whatsoever. It even retained my favorites. How refreshing!

Ask a Question