Map ver. 840 is now out

I noticed significant fixes all over Boston. About 30% of my mapshare edits were implemented, this is way more than the 1-2 edits per/map that I'm used to seeing.

It looks like their quoted 1.25 million community edits (globally) is really making an impact.

After old map releases, it seems like I have read these forums with people having all sorts of update problems...and mine went smoothly. Just the opposite in this case...It sounds like it went well for everybody, but not for me...I downloaded the map. About 2/3 of the way through processing it, the update froze. I let it go for a long time....probably 1.5 hours and eventually killed it. At that point, I had what seemed to be parts of the Guam map...and nothing else. I wiped my TT clean and restored from a backup I made just before starting. On attempt #2...things were going well until about 80% of the way into processing I had an error writing a file to the TT (cnode file if I remember correctly). I just decided to kick off attempt #3. I came back a while later and (thankfully) it was successful.

Now that I finally have the update, it is good to see many of my recent Mapshare updates in Northern Virginia are in the new map.

This was my first update under the subscription. Except for me forgetting to back up my favorites (I think I'll just use a "Favorites" POI category from now on) the upgrade went smoothly.

I am, however, becoming more and more disappointed with these Teleatlas maps.

None of the construction in my area from the last few years is reflected in 840, and the routing still thinks I can jump off an elevated highway to get to an address below it (and that address location is off by 1/4 mile anyway).

I don't exactly live in the boonies. I'm in one of the most densely populated areas of the US. You'd think there'd be enough mapshare users in my area to convince Teleatlas to 'allocate the appropriate resources.'

The last map tried to route me the wrong way down one way streets in Philadelphia, and suggested I drive across divided highways. I have not a lot of faith that 840 has corrected those things either.

If I don't see improvements by the end of my subscription, I'm jumping ship to Garmin.

ApK

Just signed up for the quarterly map update service and got my 840 map yesterday. My dad in Germany has a 750 running 9.022 and didn't have to restore any of his favorites. Everything was still there after his map upgrade.

One thing I noticed and very much appreciated is the inclusion of i-Pass (aka E-ZPass, i-Zoom, etc.) express lanes on the new map. At least that's the case in Illinois. In certain cases, exits can only be taken by going through the actual toll booths and not the express lanes and with the old map this wasn't clear. Surprisingly routes.tomtom.com does not show the i-Pass express lanes.

Any chance this map update fixes the fact that TomToms until now cannot search alpha numeric addresses? Can someone try this address? Garmin and Magellan have no problem with this.

State: WI
City: Pewaukee
Street: Five Fields Rd
Previously, the unit would say no addresses found for this street.
Address: N34W23708

Any chance this map update fixes the fact that TomToms until now cannot search alpha numeric addresses? Can someone try this address? Garmin and Magellan have no problem with this.

Still not on map 840. The road is present with no street numbers.

Tomtom would need an application update, as their programming doesn't recognize alphanumeric addresses at all.

My update went smooth also. I have the quarterly map updates. Although I haven't traveled much since the update, I don't see any lane guidance added in my area.

I'm glad to hear there is lots of the lane guidance in Boston, I'm heading down that way in a few months and I figure it will make thing easier.

J

It appears earlier posts that you're from Canada?

In map 835, there were only a couple of instances in all of Canada that had lane guidance, I'm not sure if it improved any in map 840.

For the past 6-9 months, the US had tons of lane guidance, you'll notice it the minute you cross the border.

I used to joke with DHN that perhaps the Teleatlas truck drivers don't have Canadian immigration working visas.

I upgraded my XL-340S map, and the update worked fine.

I did run into one issue: During the last map update (to 835) the tech support person suggested that in the future I delete the current map before loading the new map. Once I saw that the 840 map was available I first deleted the 835 map; however, when I selected the update button the new map was no longer shown. I ended up re-installing the 835 map, and once it was installed the new 840 map showed up again in the available updates. I let Home install the 840 map over 835, and the update went well. I guess the tech support advice was wrong.

One interesting note: With the new Home application and the new device firmware/application, the map load was significantly faster than it was for previous map updates.

In map 835, there were only a couple of instances in all of Canada that had lane guidance, I'm not sure if it improved any in map 840.

No bloody improvement regarding ALG (in the Toronto area) from what I can tell in preliminary testing of the 840 map on the 720.

Waste of time (and money) updating.........:mad:

For the past 6-9 months, the US had tons of lane guidance, you'll notice it the minute you cross the border.

I used to joke with DHN that perhaps the Teleatlas truck drivers don't have Canadian immigration working visas.

Yes I am. Like I say, the only place I've seen lane guidance here is along the TCH in Nova Scotia. On a recent trip to Montreal I didn't see it once, mind you the traffic camera POIs came in handy.

No bloody improvement regarding ALG (in the Toronto area) from what I can tell in preliminary testing of the 840 map on the 720.

Waste of time (and money) updating.........:mad:

I have the update service. This is only my second update so I have 2 more. I'm not sure that I would purchase it again unless I start seeing places that I go that don't have roads, or there is some significant improvement to the lane guidance. Possibly a trip coming up, which is the reason why I purchased it this time.

First time EVER since the history of digital maps of North America exists, a little section of sharp turn in my area is finally shown CORRECTLY in 840 map. LOL :D
One more reason why I like Tomtom and it's once again, confirming Tele Atlas is ahead of NavTeq at least in my area :)

PianoCM....you are not the only one from Mass who says the map of your state has really improved in 840 (SuperMod mvl, from Boston, is another)

Gee.........you don't think it has anything to do with the fact that TomTom North America's headquarters are in Massachusettes, do you? :);)

I know that mvl is Bostonian, m8 :) I'm myself a BigDigger too :D
But I just expressed my happiness toward this v840 map, one lilttle section was always showing INCORRECTLY from day 1 until now, 840, not v835. As said b4, I chose Tomtom over Garmin/Magellan for some reason :) and clearly I've made the right decision, hehehehe.

Last edited:
First time EVER since the history of digital maps of North America exists, a little section of sharp turn in my area is finally shown CORRECTLY in 840 map. LOL :D
One more reason why I like Tomtom and it's once again, confirming Tele Atlas is ahead of NavTeq at least in my area :)

What little section is that Piano?

lane guidance in boston is almost comically everywhere now in 840. 90% of multi lane roads. even small sidestreets have it. 100% of highways. its as if they gave their employees video cameras to tape their drives all day. gator has tampa improved?

Apparently not as much as Boston has.:D

I haven't been into Tampa proper since my update, but I can't say I've seen anything that I know has been added with 8.4 between Tampa and Kissimmee. I'll probably be driving into Tampa this next week on two visits, so I'll get a chance to check then.

For some reason I was given a free update to this v840.2568 with App 9.022.457667.2

I was two maps behind and downloaded an update and BINGO, I go this for some reason!! Anybody else get this for free?

Santa came early for me I guess.

My TomTom is a ONE XL. TomTom Home reports that no map updates are available. This thread say says 840.2568 is available, but mine has 2561. Is 2561 the latest release for United_States for the ONE XL, or am I missing an update? If I am missing an update, how do I get it?

Ask a Question