how to update software

Hi all,
I'd like to know how to update software for my GPS which is your basic TomTom bought approx 4 years ago.
Anthea

What model do you have? See here: http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9521/c/2355
That said, if the model is four years old, you would need Home (get it at tomtom.com/home). Download, install and log in with the email address/password used for your device.

Then, in Home, go to Update my Device. If there is more stuff offered than an application update, it's probably best to just update the application by itself. Then disconnect the unit properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon that you'll see on Home's screen.

Restart the device. Reconnect and make sure no further application updates are offered. If there are (updates are sometimes offered sequentially), then choose to update anything else that is offered.

Maybe make a complete Windows back up first, not a backup offered by the HOME software.

Windows recognises your TomTom as a separate device and gives it a drive letter [like (D:), (E:), etc.].
Open Windows Explorer, make a new Folder and copy the whole TomTom data into it.
(Left click the mouse pointer on the drive letter given your TomTom, then drag it onto that new folder you made.)

The above advice is good for OLDER TomTom models only. We need to know what model you have before we can be more precise. Use that "Model Finder" tool that dhn linked to and let us know.

Anything TRULY 4 years old would be Nav2. Nav3 didn't arrive on the scene until 2010.

Ask a Question