software update

TomTom Model(s)
one iq maps
hi i have a tomtom one iq maps i plugged it in to my computer to back it up and basically i have spiraled in to a heap of crap i now have no idea what is going on i have purchased updates for my maps but i cant load them on i have tried to format the unit but it takes about 24 hrs for some reason it also takes an age to load maps back on to it then i just get error messages didn't know if anyone could give me step by step instructions how to start from scratch to clear it reload software and update my maps it's become a nightmare for not much extra i could have bought a new unit for the price of the map upgrade at least a new unit would be working now i have only used the tomtom 4 times im gutted i feel robbed
Jeff

Not sure how we got here in "TomTom Home and MyTomTom", so after answering, I'll move this one over to the Tech Support area.

I assume that what actually happened was that you "plugged it in to my computer to back it up" and Home pushed some new firmware your way -- new firmware for your ONE IQ was just recently released.

So let's start from the beginning and see how this goes.

FIRST and FOREMOST, it's important that we find valid maps on your PC or on your unit. So before doing anything, I want you to back your unit up - not using Home, but using this procedure: https://www.tomtomforums.com/t17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

Once you have done that, it's time to go searching for your purchased maps on your unit so that we know you've got them safely tucked away before we go further. Please look in My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\map. See what folders are there and there dates. Is there a folder there that has a date corresponding to the most recent map your purchased? If so, check that folder to be sure that at least the following files are present (and I'm going to guess it's a UK/ROI set - if not, substitute the area you had covered):

activation.zip
UK & ROI.toc
UK & ROI.zip

If those files are there, then we can go ahead and nuke your unit.

Why it's taking you 24 hours to format your unit is a bit of a puzzle. Even at the slow USB 1.1 speeds, it should take nowhere near so long to communicate with your device.

Connect your unit to your PC.
If Home fires up, just X it out or ignore it.
Format it again with your PC. Use FAT32, and do NOT use "Quick Format". When done, double check to see that you have something just under 2GB available to you on your device.

NOW start talking to Home. Use the "Update" function to cause Home to send you new code. The current code for your unit will be 9.400. If an earlier version is offered, go ahead and accept and install that, disconnect your device properly when done, and repeat the process until 9.400 is offered and successfully installed.

Now that you have a unit with good firmware, find the latest map from the folder we identified earlier. Home SHOULD know about it if you review what's on your PC with the Manage function of Home. If Home can see that map, go ahead and use Home to install it.

If anything breaks in the chain of events above, stop there and let us know what happened, but please do not proceed further without discussion.

Did you find us over here in Tech Support?

Europe_-_Western_Zone is in the map area in that folder is
the corresponding files but obviously europe west instead of uk roi

it does seem to be taking an age to format for some reason how long should it take?

5 1/2 hrs and still formatting i reckon at least another hour to go that can't be right?

this is the message im getting when i load the application software??

ERROR: HomeBase/IO: Error writing file: G:\system
@ .\portable\cfile.cpp(1953)
000003EE
in .\portable\cfile.cpp:1953
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/commit.js:82
error(textOrException);
1. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:1061
this._commitFailed(i, commitPage);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:80
return func.apply(obj, arguments);
3. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:77
this._errorCallback(e);
4. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:69
this._errorFatal(error);

Time: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 22:35:16 GMT

@dhn

After doing a backup, their first instruction is to reformat and reload firmware. Seems to be what the OP is trying to do but without success.

I am beginning to wonder if the OP has a USB issue of some sort.

@quinn0275

Let's ignore the fact that you're dealing with a GPS, and for a few moments, let's treat it like a thumb drive to see how it behaves. I assume that eventually it DID format even though the time was excessive?

Manually delete whatever files are on your unit and try copying some largish files (100MB or more) to the unit, to your PC, and back to the unit again (your unit should have just shy of 2GB remaining with no files on it). Let us know if you are even able to copy files to/from your unit reliably.

i have managed to get the software updated to the latest one but it says no maps available every time i load a map on it it throws up an error message i tried to upload a picture on to it just to see if it would and speed etc seemed quick i have come to a blank with this its doing my head in!!

If you have an updated map, it should be found here:
c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads\Complete\Maps\ (path is for XP)

If you find it there, you can install the map manually. See here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/t18197-how-install-downloaded-map-without-using-home.html

So, if you DID install the application on the unit, that much is working..... try the manual install of the map as shown in the link

Windows 7 and XL330

hi i have a tomtom one iq maps i plugged it in to my computer to back it up and basically i have spiraled in to a heap of crap i now have no idea what is going on i have purchased updates for my maps but i cant load them on i have tried to format the unit but it takes about 24 hrs for some reason it also takes an age to load maps back on to it then i just get error messages didn't know if anyone could give me step by step instructions how to start from scratch to clear it reload software and update my maps it's become a nightmare for not much extra i could have bought a new unit for the price of the map upgrade at least a new unit would be working now i have only used the tomtom 4 times im gutted i feel robbed
Jeff
WARNING XL330 crashed when I connected it my my computer. Tom Tom Home started update even though I clicked "CANCEL". Talked to many teck people, 3 tech supervisors, and E-mailed home office many times. All said I had a bad hard drive on the unit. Never did anyone mention that the XL330 and possible may others and not compatible with Windows 7. Hooked it up to an old computer still running Windows XP and it downloaded the software and unit now works fine.

Yeah, IE9 (which I presume you used) does not play nicely with Home (or many other applications). Setting the compatibility to XP resolves the problems for many.

i have windows 7 so what do i do as it aint loving talking to my tomtom thats for sure

Did you follow what what in my last post? (The path for W7 varies a bit from the one I listed)??

Ask a Question