How do I uodate my Tom Tom One?

Hi dhn

I'm a bit lost at the moment. After clicking on the bottom right of the driving view screen, it takes me to the screen where it has info about the version etc.

However, it does not show me any maps. If I tap on that screen, it takes me back to the driving view.

This is what you need....

How to find the version numbers of your maps and software

Report back here with the map number andwe will tell you how old it is.

Hi Andy

Many thanks for your help.

Here is the info -

App 7.903 (9183/081205) OS:2344

Map - United Kingdom and Republic Of Ireland v675.1409

Thanks in advance

Released today? That's a bit of a coincidence!! When can I update my Tom-Tom with this new version? Will it cost me?

So, are you suggesting that the update I tried to do earlier today did not go through?

I don't know what you were trying to update but for sure a new map will cost you. You know, for a few pounds more, you can get a new device with lifetime maps. Go to Tomtom.com and see what's available.

dhn

I was trying to update my Tom-Tom. Having read your replies. I presume the update did not go through. The map still is the 7 year old one.

If I can update the Tom-Tom for free (which is my preferred option) , then there would be no need to buy a new device.

Some updates are free, but they will be things like the operating software and maybe some minor map corrections from other users ("MapShare") - although I'm not sure if that was available when v675 was current. Maps always cost to update, unless you have a subscription deal or one of the newest models with free lifetime maps.

Hi Folks

Once again, many thanks for your replies.

As my map is 7 years old, do you recommend that I buy the new version of the map (which came out today), and install it on my Tom-Tom? If I do decide to do that, would someone be kind enough to send me the link to the appropriate place on the website?

However, if I was to buy new device with lifetime maps, then I would need to get rid of the Tom-Tom I have at the moment, and I don't think I would get much for it, whereas I bought it for around £200, 7 years ago !!

TomTom's "map shop"is here: https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/shop/maps/

BUT... I believe it's usually easier to buy the map directly from inside TomTom Home.
Connect the unit to the PC, run Home and select the purchase maps option.

A single UK map is £39.95, Western Europe is £49.95
The map update service (https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/maps/map-update-service/) is a variable price, depending on how old your existing map is.

Cheapest unit I can see with lifetime maps (Start 25 M Western Europe) is £130 on the TT website, may be cheaper elsewhere.

So it's your choice really! Are you happy with the ONE?
Or do you hanker for something bigger, or with text to speech voices, or LIVE Traffic reports etc?

Good Morning Folks

Thanks for your replies.

I will use the link to buy a new map, and let you guy now how I get on.

Jut as a matter of interest, whenI originally started this post saying that I want help in updating my Tom-Tom, what did you think I meant? Because, by 'update' I thought it means getting the latest maps.

"Updates" could mean new maps, new software, new voices, subscribing to LIVE Services, getting updated speed cameras, getting community map corrections, adding POIs.... al sorts of stuff.

Hi Folks

I bought the latest version of the map today for £39.95.

I then followed the instructions to install the new map on my Tom-Tom. However, although the message on my pc suggested that the new map has been installed, I still have the old version on the Tom-Tom, and not the new one.

The message on my pc also said that I need a new SD card. However,I already have one, so why would I need a new SD card? I thought the new map would just overwrite the old one.

Could some please advice what I should do?

Thanks

Can you remember the exact wording of the message you got?
I don't see how it can have said the new map had been installed AND that you need a new SD card, I'd have thought it would be one or the other...

Precisely, what does it say if you go to Home's "Purchase maps" screen?
Everything should be listed with a location - either "Internal memory, "Memory card", "My Computer" or "On-line" (to buy).
Use the "more info" links to get the version numbers for every map in the first three locations.

You can also double check what you already have by using the "Manage my device" page and look at the maps listed in both "Items on device" and "Install items from computer" tabs (again, use the "more info" links to get the version numbers).

Also, what are you selecting when Home first starts up, "Internal memory" or "SD card"?

Last edited:
Hello again

Do I need to have Tom-Tom Home open when installing the new maps? I did download it on my desktop a few days ago.

Anyway, when I purchased the map, an email was sent to me with confirmation of this together with usage instructions.

The first instruction said connect your device to the computer (which I did).
The next instruction said update & install. I clicked on this button and a bar in the middle of the screen appeared saying loading. After about 2 minutes, it asked me to click on Update My ONE, (which I did.)

The next screen said 'Select the item to download and install on your navigation system.' I selected United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland maps. I then clicked update & install as requested, together with the option of backing up the current contents of the Tom-Tom before updating.

After clicking update & install, the following messages appeared on the screen after a few minutes

Back up your navigation device on your computer. This was followed by a tick and the words finished copying.

Next it said Download UK & Republic of Ireland. This was again followed by a tick and the message Downloaded UK & Republic of Ireland.

The next instructions said Install Memory card. This was followed by the message - there is not enough free space on your device to add this item. You need to remove 11.8Mb.

The last instruction said Finishing installation followed by the message - not started because of earlier failures.

Once again, I would be most grail for any advice offered.

Yes, you need to be using Home to install the maps.
All those instructions and button selections you mention, what program were you in at the time or was it all done from an email?

Can you check the screens in Home that I mentioned above, please?
Precisely, what does it say if you go to Home's "Purchase maps" screen?
Everything should be listed with a location - either "Internal memory, "Memory card", "My Computer" or "On-line" (to buy).
Use the "more info" links to get the version numbers for every map in the first three locations.

You can also double check what you already have by using the "Manage my device" page and look at the maps listed in both "Items on device" and "Install items from computer" tabs (again, use the "more info" links to get the version numbers).

Also, what are you selecting when Home first starts up, "Internal memory" or "SD card"?

Hi Folks

I'm still having problems with this believe it or not!

I used the link that was emailed to me when I originally purchased the new map. Here is a copy od the email:

Map download instructions
Your new map is now ready for download!
You can now use TomTom HOME to download your new map to your device.

Follow these easy steps to download your new map:
  1. Simply connect your device to the computer, switch it on, click here and follow the on-screen instructions.
    This will also help you to install TomTom HOME, if you don't have it installed yet.
  2. Check the box next to the map (and if available next to a new software version)
  3. Click Update and install.
  4. TomTom HOME will download and install the map to your device (and if available the device software update).
  5. If there is not enough free space on your device, HOME will instruct you to remove items. If HOME cannot free up enough space you may be offered a smaller zone of your map.
    Note: Map zones are not available for all maps. (More info)
  6. Click "Done" and your new map is now available on your device.
I followed the instructions by clicking on the link in step one. The link took me to the following website - http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/serviuces/tomtom_home/

and this is where I was supposed to download my new map but as you know, things went pear shaped!!

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ask a Question