How do I uodate my Tom Tom One?

TomTom Model(s)
One
Hi Folks

This may sound like a silly question to you, but how do I update my Tom Tom One?

I have had it for over 5 years now and thought it was about time I updated it. However, I have no idea of how to do it!!

Would anybody be kind enough to give me instructions of how to update it?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

You need to download Home 2. Get it at tomtom.com/home.

Connect your unit to the computer and start Home. You'll need to log in with an email address/password. Then select Update my Unit.

Hi There

Thanks for your speedy reply.

Do I download Home 2 on my computer?

Would you suggest that I back up my Tom-Tom before doing the update? What would I lose if I don't do a back up?

Finally, on average, how long does the back up take to complete?

Thank You.

First, absolutely recommend a backup before starting. Please use this procedure (link >>>) https://www.tomtomforums.com/t17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer-how-restore.html
Backup time will vary depending upon how much 'map' you've got loaded on the ONE. There are a couple of ONE variants with different amounts of memory. 30 minutes or less.

Then you can download a current copy of Home2 here and install it on your PC: https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/mytomtom/getstarted/deviceselector.jsp
Use the link on the right for TomTom HOME, not the one on the left for MyTomTom.

Let us know how you get on with all of that. One thing you may well lose are your favorites and recent destinations, but if that happens, we will assist in retrieving those from your backup.

Do I download Home 2 on my computer?
Yes

Would you suggest that I back up my Tom-Tom before doing the update?
Yes, definitely. See here:
How to BACKUP the contents of your unit to the computer (and how to RESTORE it!)

Don't rely on Home's own backup routine.

What would I lose if I don't do a back up?

Potentially your map (which is irreplaceable without buying a new one, for around £50
And a lot of your time replacing everything else.

Finally, on average, how long does the back up take to complete?
Depends on the maps you have (A UK map is a lot smaller then a whole Europe map)
Also depends on whether your TT ONE has a USB1 or USB2 connection.
Expect anything between 10 minutes to 40 minutes on average.

Hi Folks

Many thanks for your advice.

I have read the link regarding backing up, but could someone tell me what app 10.x means?

Also how can I tell if my Tom-Tom has a USB1 or 2 connection?

Thank U

App 10X (and above) apply to the Nav 3 models using MyTomTom. Your model uses Home and the application level is lower (7.903, I think for your model).

I suspect your model has the lower USB 1.1 connection speed.

Thanks for you reply.

What App version (10 or above/11 or above) would you recommend I use to follow the instructions for the back up?

So, I suppose my model has a USB 1 connection?

Thanks

Hi Folks

Sorry to ask you again - but the link to App 9X and lower is not working!!

Could you please advice the best thing to do in this case?

dhn - with a manual backup, would I need to follow the App 9X and lower instructions.

Hi,
If you mean the underlined red text in those instructions, it is NOT a link, just a heading!
You don't need to add any new application in order to do a backup, it just means that if you have a unit running v9 or lower, then you use the first set of instructions and if you have one that runs v10 or above (a completely different set of TomTom models) then you use the second set of instructions.

So you just need to follow the instructions immediately underneath the line "How to back up the contents (for app 9.x and earlier)" (I've turned it back to black to avoid confusion)

What App version (10 or above/11 or above) would you recommend I use to follow the instructions for the back up?
dhn mentioned that App 10+, at this time, is for the newer Nav3 devices.
Ignore the App or a moment, we'll get back later to it.

So, I suppose my model has a USB 1 connection?
It does not matter what version the connection is, as it only affect connection speed.
The only important thing is that you can connect your TomTom One to your computer.

I presume that you have a Windows computer and that you know how to make new Folders.

Make such a new folder. Connect your device via the USB cable to the computer.
Your computer will recognise the device, giving it a new drive letter (E: or F: or whatever the next free letter is).
Now, copy the whole device (driver letter) into the folder you had made on your computer before.
Disconnect the USB cable.

Open your Browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc.) and go to www.tomtom.com .
If you do not have an account (free) click on Create account. and follow instructions.

On www.tomtom.com click on Support then click on How do I install TomTom HOME on my computer?
Click the Windows version you are using.
Click the Download button and follow instructions.

After ccompletion, start HOME.
Connect your USB cable to the computer.
HOME will as some questions and may even request to download a special file. Agree to that.
If it says you must back up before proceeding, skip that
In the options now shown, select Update my [device].

It may now offer to download and install several items. If prompted, agree to all.
This may take a long time as you haven't updated in a long time. (Never is a long time.)

If everything goes alright, the updating now will take a long time but the Operating System Application will be updated, without your making a selection.
There may even be several sequential updates of the system.
This will definitely happen once you are buying an up to date map.

Now, go ahead. Slowly, step by step.

If something looks odd to you, make a note of it so you can report it here in detail.

Good morning Folks

I've just updated my Tom Tom One using the advice and instructions given by you kind folks out there.

One more question, How would I know that the update has been done successfully? i.e. that the maps already stored on the Tom Tom have not been 'messed up' ?

Thanks

Hi dhn

Thanks for you reply.

Yes, I did try it out before posting my query here, and it works fine.

However, is there a way to find out if the Tom Tom was updated successfully with the latest map/routes?

Thanks

In the driving view, tap the bottom right of the screen. The next screen should show the version number of the application installed on the unit. What does it say?

Now, tap the version number and the following screen shows the map and version installed. What does it show?

Hi dhn

When I tap the bottom right of the Tom-Tom in the driving view it showed version no. 7.903. I tapped that button and the next screen has info about the device, app, and language. Unfortunately, nowhere does it confirm that the device has been updated or the last time it was updated.

That will be the application approriate for your model. The following screen does show the map and its version. It will not show when the device was updated.

Hi dhn

I'm a bit lost at the moment. After clicking on the bottom right of the driving view screen, it takes me to the screen where it has info about the version etc.

However, it does not show me any maps. If I tap on that screen, it takes me back to the driving view.

There are 3 tabs at the bottom on the screen which has the version info. These are:

Done - which also takes me back to the driving view screen.

Find Alternative - which gives me the option of planning an alternative route.

Details - which has info regarding whether or not I want to view the map as images/text, map of route etc.

So, I presume it is the last tab that I click? If so, how can I find out if this is the most up to date route (i.e. if my Tom-Tom has been successfully updated?

Thank U.

Do this .......

Connect your unit to Home.

Manage content (2nd page, purple folder), Items on Device-->maps. What does it show? Now, Items on Computer-->maps, what does it show?

Ask a Question