HELP NEEDED: TomTom not recognized by PC (USB Driver problem?)

That model does not show as an external drive on your computer (the way pre Navcore 10X models do). If you look at My Computer-->Network Connections, you should see it listed there.

New 1535M is not recognized by "MyHOME" or by my PC (windows 7) doesnt show up in device manager. However on connection it does launch "MyTOMTOM" website and says i am connected...
I tried all the fixed suggested including several resets. Still no recognition by PC or HOME (actually, on connection I do get the notifier sound but not visual indicator) Please help thx

Slight confusion here.
There's no such thing as "MyHOME". the two programs used by TomToms are "Home" (actually there's "Home" and "Home 2") and "MyTomTom"

Your model does not use "Home" or "Home 2" at all.

If you haven't already done so, you need to download and install "MyTomTom" from here:

http://www.tomtom.com/getstarted/

As dhn says, you won't be able to browse your TomTom's memory on the PC like you could with older models. Everything possible has to be done via MyTomTom which (as you've seen) will open new browser windows as well as adding a clickable icon in the PC system tray (next to the clock). Clicking on that icon allows SOME owners to access the "Add community content" section where you can add POIs, voices, images and warning sounds, like you could on old models.

TT are still slowly implementing those features on other models.

Edit: OOPS. Didn't notice that we already had Page 9 going with answers already. Ah well - I'll just leave this one here for some added detail... Probably need to move some of this over to the right thread sometime anyway...

New 1535M is not recognized by "MyHOME" or by my PC (windows 7) doesnt show up in device manager. However on connection it does launch "MyTOMTOM" website and says i am connected...
I tried all the fixed suggested including several resets. Still no recognition by PC or HOME (actually, on connection I do get the notifier sound but not visual indicator) Please help thx
OK - I'm guessing you may be a prior TomTom owner with some expectations based upon how that one worked. This thing uses a USB cable, but does not behave as a normal USB device.

First, if you'll look under Network adapters, the 1535 WILL show up there instead of under USB controllers the way it did before. Your unit will NOT show up as an external drive in My Computer the way it did before. You will NOT have the option to perform the normal USB disconnect since the device will NOT appear when you click the USB disconnect icon in the systray in the lower right of your screen.

The fact that the web page is appearing is a good indication that all is working as expected.

Once connected, you should find a new icon down in the systray in the lower right. Mousing over it should show "MyTomTom". If so, you're good to go.

It's a whole new world out there. I'm not thrilled about it for several reasons, but there you have it...

You're right, I had a 720. Thanks for the info re usb device. You would think that at some point in the documentation or website this would have been mentioned (maybe I missed it). I am now doing the map upgrade however it seems to be running in a loop: download - reboot - download etc.
I will report back

Thanks again!!

My Tom Tom keeps telling me "USB cable is not recognised". I am trying to set up my Via 110 but a connection to my computer is not possible. I have tried other USB ports on my computer but in vain. Please help!

Are you using the cable that came with the device? What operating system are you running?

Ok, I have a major problem connecting my One (2nd Edition) to my pc. When I plug the device in, I get an "Unknown Device" error. In other words, my pc doesn't recognize the device as a TomTom. Here's what happens: When I plug the device in, the pc doesn't recognized it as a TomTom, therefore Home doesn't allow me to access the TomTom either. When I turn the device on, then connect it to my pc, it asks me (as it should) "Do you want to connect to a computer"? When I click "Yes", it reboots my TomTom completely. I've tried this probably two dozen times, all with the same result. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help! I'm about to go crazy trying to fix this thing!!!

Here's what I've done so far to try to fix it:
1) I've searched these forums and Google extensively and can't find a fix (sorry if I missed it).
2) I've done a soft reset...no luck.
3) I've done a hard reset...no luck yet again (lost all of my Favorites :mad: )
4) I've tried the Windows troubleshooter (piece of crap)...no help.

I was having the same problem. I just got it fixed. I had to take it apart to fix it.
1. Peeled off sticker on bottom and removed the 2 screws
2. Separated the screen from housing
3. Carefully disconnected ribbon cable from screen to board
4. Removed the screws holding the board
4. Lifted board and unplugged the battery
5. Held power button down for 10 secs
6. Left battery unplugged and plugged back into pc
7. Long press power button, drum sound and TomTom Home is installing driver.
8. Now connecting to PC and updating

Apparently the battery is bad and was causing the issue somehow. Once the battery is disconnected it works fine. I'll order a replacement and it should be good.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

Ask a Question