HELP NEEDED: TomTom not recognized by PC (USB Driver problem?)

Don't connect device to TOMTOM!!!!

I've had a few TOMTOM devices - and my share of problems!!

I can relate to all of those posed in this thread - my advice is - only ever download map updates once - preferably within the 30 days from first switch on.

Experience suggests that further attempts are fraught with danger- not only to ones device, but also to ones nerves and computer - more than once I've been faced with the dreaded blue sreen and ended up restoring my PC!!

Whether this is a TOMTOM ploy to get people to use their help line or simply to go and buy a new one I'm not sure - but for the sake of sanity once it stops doing what it should - bin it and buy another - they're not expensive these days.

Just one view, and a bit extreme I know, but they seem so unstable that I sometimes wonder why, untouched, they see capable of going on forever!

This worked!

I had the same issue and called the customer support @ tomtom and resolved the issue by doing the following steps.
1.Connect the docking station (with tomtom on it) to computer using the usb cable.
2.Turn ON the tomtom
3.You will see the problem.
4.Now undock the tomtom (take the tomtom from the docking station).
5.On the bottom side of tomtom you will see a hole with reset button inside for resetting the device. Using a paper clip press and hold the reset button for 5 seconds and make sure that tomtom is off now.
6.Now place the tomtom on the dock and press the turn-on button for 3-4 seconds.
7.Now you should see that your computer detecting the device properly. :)

Thanks Braduke! I was afraid using the reset button would elimnate prefrences, favorites, add-ons, etc. It did not! Everything was still there after it connected like a charm.

Also, for other users with this problem, when you have it plugged in and are ready to power-up, just press thr power button long enough to turn it on. Holding it down any longer than that brings the device to a system status view which you don't want at this point. I have a 920.

Last edited:
rcongniziing usb

has anyone tried to disconnect the usb from the computer. THen shut off your tom tom. Then do a soft reboot while off but don't turn on the tom tom yet. Then reconnect your tom tom and usb to the computer . now turn on your tomtom. It should recognize the usb now and connect to home. MAYBE. i had to do this a few times and it always worked but who knows. good luck

Solution

Hi all,

there is an easy solution to this. My guess is that the problem is software related and has to do with using different USB ports on your PC for your TomTom. There's more devices that seem to get "confused" when plugged into different USB ports.

The solution is to keep your TomTom plugged-in (any active USB) and click on the reset button at the bottom of your device. I'd advise you also have the TomTom software up and running.

This should sort things out

Let me know if you're still having trouble
Yiannis

I'm having this issue as well. I have changed the usb port on my computer that I am using, run through a hub and direct to the computer, used a plain usb cable as opposed to the docking station, used the reset button, checked the drivers for it in the device manager, stood on my head holding a tinfoil plate pointed at orion, yet nothing works.

What's the deal here. Is it something where I should be returning it to TomTom? I love the unit (Go730) and really just need to hook it up for the quick GPS fix.

Can someone please help?

Duke

In fact, you really can survive quite well never getting the gpsquickfix file from Home. Many operate their units like that.

But that doesn't resolve the issue as to why the unit isn't seen when connecting to the computer. Doing a reset on the bottom usually rectifies the situation. Are you sure you did reset in the proper hole on the bottom? Thought marked, it isn't the easiest to see.

When you do connect to the computer, are you saying the computer gives no recognition that a usb device has been connected?

When I connect to the computer, I get this error:

gpserror.gif

I have used the reset button on the bottom a number of times, have changed which USB port I connect to on my PC, and have uninstalled & reinstalled TomTom Home a couple of times. I have run it through a regular mini USB cable as well as through the docking station, all with the same error.

When I click on the message, it just says to try reinstalling the driver software, and if that doesn't work, contact Microsoft. Seeing as there are a few threads on this message board surrounding this issue, I think it's a TomTom issue, not a Microsoft one.

I am running Windows Vista if that matters at all.

You don't say what model you have. Is it one with a sd card slot? If so, do you have a backup of your unit's contents (hopefully Explorer, not Home) that you can copy to the sd card and try connecting the unit now. (This is for Go devices).

How does one soft reboot?

A soft reboot is doing a pin reset on those units with a dedicated reset hole on the bottom of the unit. For those without the hole, holding a power button for 15-20 seconds.

A hard reboot, according to TT, is using the function to 'return to factory defaults.

I tried the soft reboot - no good.

Tried a hard reboot - no good.

I have even reinstalled my operating system (for other reasons, but coincidentally recently while I am having this problem) - no good.

I'm at my wits end here. I mean, yeah, the quick GPS fix stuff is nice, but I'd also like map corrections and to be able to change my pics, etc.

BTW, I have a GO 730

Last edited:
If you have a 730, try putting a blank SD card into the Tomtom. It may startup to a red x, but the Tomtom will write a few ID files on the SD.

Then stick the SD card into a card reader and open up HOME. Home will recognize the SD, and you can load updates onto it as if it were a Tomtom. Once all your updates are there, stick it back in the Tomtom.

This process will give you a new application update on the Tomtom, and if your USB connection issue is software related, it may fix that also.

Last edited:
Similar problem with my 140S -
All was well until my most recent backup via HOME. Backup terminated with error message, and examination of TomTom files showed some were corrupted.

Restored TomTom files using Windows Explorer from my initial emergency backup. Restore seemed OK, but experienced problem on reboot. TomTom was no longer recognized by the computer. Device Manager > Drives shows TomTom ONE IQ Routes as enabled and connected, but I still cannot see the drive in "My Computer" or with Windows Explorer.

Several soft reboots did not help
Hard reboot reinstalled factory settings, but still no USB connectivity.
Tried several USB ports on two different computers. No luck.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Are you saying the unit does operate properly on its own?

Can you try using a different usb cable to connect the unit to the computer?

Are you saying the unit does operate properly on its own?

Can you try using a different usb cable to connect the unit to the computer?

Yes. Unit acquired satellite fix and displayed appropriate information.

Tried multiple cables, multiple ports and two computers. All worked fine with my wife's 125, but failed to connect to the 140S, thus strongly suggesting the 140S was at fault.

Device Manager showed computer was connected to TomTom ONE IQ Routes, and the latter was enabled, but there was no icon displayed in My Computer.

Interesting ... some diagnostic programs could "see" the TomTom drive, but the device failed to be shown as an external drive in My Computer Some diagnostics showed the drive as "unmounted".

Finally got through to TomTom Customer Service. After explaining things, they agreed the device needed replacing, and gave me an RMA.

I remain somewhat concerned -- when Windows does not "see" the drive as an external device, there isn';t much one can do to format or replace files on the drive.

Anyone else have ideas and/or updates on this? I'm having the exact same problem with my TomTom OneXL. It previously worked fine with my Windows XP computer, which I replaced with a VIsta machine a few months ago. Today was the first time I've tried connecting it (after downloading HOME), and I'm having the same issues as described above:

1) I plug the unit in, and it asks me if I'd like to connect to Computer. I click YES, and the unit immediately resets itself. It then goes into GPS mode.

2) The GPS is not recognized by the computer, doesn't show up as a mass-storage drive, and isn't picked-up by the HOME software. I always get the "USB Device Not Recognized" message on the quick launch bar.

3) I've tried many suggestions in this thread: reset *using pinhole) device several times (and in several states of connectedness to computer); different mini-USB cable; re-install HOME; different USB ports. I'm getting nothing.

Extract the contents of this file with winrar onto a blank SD card (2gb or smaller) and put it in your one xl. Start it up until it says "no maps found". Then turn off the Tomtom, take out the SD card, do a pin reset, and turn it back on.

This process will upgrade the XL's USB drivers (within the bootloader) and you should be able to see/upgrade the device with HOME.

Ask a Question