HELP NEEDED: TomTom not recognized by PC (USB Driver problem?)

Ok, I have a major problem connecting my One (2nd Edition) to my pc. When I plug the device in, I get an "Unknown Device" error. In other words, my pc doesn't recognize the device as a TomTom. Here's what happens: When I plug the device in, the pc doesn't recognized it as a TomTom, therefore Home doesn't allow me to access the TomTom either. When I turn the device on, then connect it to my pc, it asks me (as it should) "Do you want to connect to a computer"? When I click "Yes", it reboots my TomTom completely. I've tried this probably two dozen times, all with the same result. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help! I'm about to go crazy trying to fix this thing!!!

Here's what I've done so far to try to fix it:
1) I've searched these forums and Google extensively and can't find a fix (sorry if I missed it).
2) I've done a soft reset...no luck.
3) I've done a hard reset...no luck yet again (lost all of my Favorites :mad: )
4) I've tried the Windows troubleshooter (piece of crap)...no help.

First, try plugging it to another USB port on your PC, if the same error appears, try using a different USB cable. If no luck the try it on another PC.

I've done that... I tried all of the ports on my laptop, and all the ports on my desktop. Same error message. It's got to be a problem with the TomTom.

I've done that... I tried all of the ports on my laptop, and all the ports on my desktop. Same error message. It's got to be a problem with the TomTom.

OK, I had the same problem with my 720. It was driving me crazy...some times it would work...then 2 dozen times it wouldnt. So I did some searching and think I found the solution. So far it has worked flawlessly.

Unplug the usb cord from the computer, turn on the tomtom with it attached to the other end of the usb cable but not the computer...after it is on and running, plug the usb into the computer. The computer should see tomtom and tomtom should say attach to computer yes/no

just say yes and you are good...you will need to do this every time but so far it has worked for me.

good luck

rob

Thanks for the possible solution Rob. Unfortunately, that doesn't work for me. I can get to the "Do you want to connect to a Computer" screen without a problem, but everytime I hit "Yes", my TT reboots. I just flat out can't connect...

In the Windows Device Manager, it is listed as an "Unknown Device" with no drivers installed. Does anyone know where to DL the drivers for the TT? I know Windows should automatically find them...but something is obviously wrong.

Thanks for the possible solution Rob. Unfortunately, that doesn't work for me. I can get to the "Do you want to connect to a Computer" screen without a problem, but everytime I hit "Yes", my TT reboots. I just flat out can't connect...

In the Windows Device Manager, it is listed as an "Unknown Device" with no drivers installed. Does anyone know where to DL the drivers for the TT? I know Windows should automatically find them...but something is obviously wrong.

If you can get in to the device manager and delete the usb drivers, and drivers for the hard drive, then reboot the computer and reconnect again, it should reload the drivers and that may work..

good luck

Yep, tried that already... I'm going to call TT support tomorrow. I think it's just defective. I'll report back with what I find out.

I have the same problem but with my tt720 GO. Brand new Christmas item. What did you find for the solution? I tried everything mentioned above so I know its not the items already mentioned. I have not called cust help yet.
:confused:

I have the same problem with a Tom Tom one xls connected to a pc running xp professional. It recognises a one xl but cannot find the driver . So far Tom Tom support has not been able to help.

I have the same problem but with my tt720 GO. Brand new Christmas item. What did you find for the solution? I tried everything mentioned above so I know its not the items already mentioned. I have not called cust help yet.
:confused:

Sorry, haven't found a solution...TomTom support was no help either. If anyone finds a solution, please post!

Any updates to this? I can't get my TomTom Eclipse to work with Home. It shows up in Device Manager as a USB Mass Storage Device, but TT Home never recognizes the TomTom.

Well, the fix for me was rebuilding my Windows XP install. It went down hill when my on board SD card reader stopped reading cards correctly (kept saying the card was not formatted), then the system wouldn't assign a drive to any USB mass storage drive. Formatted the drive and started over, my SD reader is still giving me fits but at least USB is working now. :rolleyes:

Here is the fix for the problem.

Sorry, haven't found a solution...TomTom support was no help either. If anyone finds a solution, please post!

I had the same issue and called the customer support @ tomtom and resolved the issue by doing the following steps.
1.Connect the docking station (with tomtom on it) to computer using the usb cable.
2.Turn ON the tomtom
3.You will see the problem.
4.Now undock the tomtom (take the tomtom from the docking station).
5.On the bottom side of tomtom you will see a hole with reset button inside for resetting the device. Using a paper clip press and hold the reset button for 5 seconds and make sure that tomtom is off now.
6.Now place the tomtom on the dock and press the turn-on button for 3-4 seconds.
7.Now you should see that your computer detecting the device properly. :)

I found a fix for me.
Just got back my One XLS(for a different problem) and it wouldn't connect to computer
Under Device manager - when I connected, a "usb hub" would flash on with a yellow asterisk.
I quickly right clicked on it and hit "update driver".
This seemed to work.

Unfortunately, since it was a new device I cannot connect to TT Home under a different serial #.
What a pain in the butt.

Good luck
Tom

It worked!

I had the same issue and called the customer support @ tomtom and resolved the issue by doing the following steps.
1.Connect the docking station (with tomtom on it) to computer using the usb cable.
2.Turn ON the tomtom
3.You will see the problem.
4.Now undock the tomtom (take the tomtom from the docking station).
5.On the bottom side of tomtom you will see a hole with reset button inside for resetting the device. Using a paper clip press and hold the reset button for 5 seconds and make sure that tomtom is off now.
6.Now place the tomtom on the dock and press the turn-on button for 3-4 seconds.
7.Now you should see that your computer detecting the device properly. :)

BRADUKE - thanks for the fix. This actually worked for me. I have been searching and searching for a fix, and this worked. Don't know why it lost the ability to connect, but finally. Thanks bud!

Fix Worked

Braduke,

Thanks also for your post. Tried you method and it worked. Got here by doing a Google search on the issue and just joined the forum as well.

Thanks,

Don

Have you tried connecting it with the PC running TT Home 1,6 which is the earlier version intended for use with the PDA and does this alter anything.
There is a file stored on the TomTom which is used by Home if its the wrong version the device can refuse to connect and be seen by Home, but it should still connect to the PC and be viewable via Windows Explorer though.

My only other thought is to try a different mini USB lead, if you have had this same fault between multiple ports on different computers the next easy thing to check (and often overlooked) is the interconnect lead - Mike

Thanks Braduke!!

Your fix worked for my 930 which was only a week old. If it makes a difference, I went through airport security twice within the last two days with my TT in my luggage. :D

Greetings from Brazil,

It also worked for me!

BRADUKE: thank you very much for your attention and patience.

My TT 740 GO does not have a reset button: ready for the worst!

Best regards,

Felipe

BRADUKE - thanks for the fix. This actually worked for me. I have been searching and searching for a fix, and this worked. Don't know why it lost the ability to connect, but finally. Thanks bud!

Last edited:

Ask a Question