GPSFIX Not Updating

TomTom Model(s)
VIA 1500M; One 3rd Edition
My XL had a problem the other day. It tried to update but some kind of error occured. Not sure what the error was then I determined the battery was too low to update. After charging the battery, I tried to update again and everything updated except the gpsfix. So I followed the instructions I found here to remove the files in the ephem folders on the device and the backup on my computer. WIN 7 won't allow me access the the Docu & Settings folder: "Access denied" is the error and instead of the folder icon next to it folder, I see a shortcut icon. So I deleted the ephem contents on the device and got some kind of "volume" error message. Needless to say it won't update.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I believe in Win7 you have to go to the "Users" folder, not directly from Documents and Settings. I ain't no Win7 guru, though. Somehow jumped in experience from XP straight to the train wreck I call Win8.

With the recent versions of Home and TomTom's server software there is no longer any need to hack files directly. In Home go to "Manage my device" and remove any and all QuickFix items from BOTH Items on device and also from Remove items from computer. Then running Update my device should repopulate those items correctly.

I think here:

C:\Users\username (or Owner)\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\ephemeris (if Windows 7/VISTA)

With the recent versions of Home and TomTom's server software there is no longer any need to hack files directly. In Home go to "Manage my device" and remove any and all QuickFix items from BOTH Items on device and also from Remove items from computer. Then running Update my device should repopulate those items correctly.
Should work, and probably will, but after so many years of distrusting Home to do exactly what is requested (e.g., making proper backups) we've grown accustomed to doing things like this manually to be sure that they're done right. I suppose we could stop cussing Home quite so much since it really has been improved a lot over the years, but old habits die hard.

OK, thanks. I tried this and I got an error: error writing file "ito.dat". In Home>Manage My Device>Items on Device, there is no GPSFIX item listed. GPSFIX is listed on the Remove Items from Computer tab so I deleted it then ran an update but got the error writing file message.

Hmmm.. the ito.dat file is one that you pick up during the QuickFix download, but it is INSIDE a *.cab file.

Here's what is downloaded:

- Ephemeris.cab
... ee_meta.txt
... ito.dat
- ephemeris.png
- Ephemeris.toc

So the issue is that your machine is having difficulty either unpacking or writing the ito.dat file that is held within the Ephemeris.cab file. One wonders .. is this a path or permissions issue, or is your machine having trouble unpacking the *.cab file for some reason? It clearly isn't having any trouble opening and seeing the contents of the *.cab, or it wouldn't even know about the ito.dat file to complain about it.

Just so that we're all together here ... after you deleted the items using "Remove items from Computer", you then asked Home to download and install the QuickGPSFix item again, and THEN you got the error on the ito.dat file?

Hmmm.. the ito.dat file is one that you pick up during the QuickFix download, but it is INSIDE a *.cab file.

Here's what is downloaded:

- Ephemeris.cab
... ee_meta.txt
... ito.dat
- ephemeris.png
- Ephemeris.toc

So the issue is that your machine is having difficulty either unpacking or writing the ito.dat file that is held within the Ephemeris.cab file. One wonders .. is this a path or permissions issue, or is your machine having trouble unpacking the *.cab file for some reason? It clearly isn't having any trouble opening and seeing the contents of the *.cab, or it wouldn't even know about the ito.dat file to complain about it.

Just so that we're all together here ... after you deleted the items using "Remove items from Computer", you then asked Home to download and install the QuickGPSFix item again, and THEN you got the error on the ito.dat file?

Yes, that is correct.

OK, good. Just turned out to be a simple permissions issue after all, it seems.

Is it possible there is a bad spot on the internal memory at that particular spot where the file is trying to be written?

Shouldn't be a function of whether the memory is spotty -- different sort of error. What is your available memory space on the unit itself? The following files are written to the "ephem" folder on most units:

The ito.dat file IS extracted from the *.cab file and written to the "ephem" folder on your unit. So it's possible that the error is in writing to your unit, as you suggest, rather than writing to your hard drive. We neglected to ask whether Home had specified the drive letter as part of the error. That would explain which end it's complaining about.

If you add the 'debug mode' to TomTom Home, this will make it possible to enable some logging that you won't already have. The link to download for that feature is here >> http://create.tomtom.com/developers/debug-menu.html

After downloading and installing it, you'll find a new tab at the top of Home called "Debug". The first item there is "Error Console" which may provide us with a lot more information about what's happening.

some interesting developments but I have no internet service cannot do this over my phone so I will be in touch later.

OK, I'm back. Finally got it to install the gpsfix tonight. When I connected my XL to the PC, I got the scan and fix or continue without scanning. Windows detects a possible problem with some files on this device and wants to fix it. I'm concerned about allowing it to repair it.

Can you identify a few of the files for us that Windows is concerned about?

Windows doesn't list the file names just two options on the menu: Scan and Fix; this will prevent future problems when copying files to this device or disc. The second option is: Continue without scanning.

# Don't allow it to "fix" any files with the ".chk" extension to the filename.

Windows thinks they are left-over file fragments from previous crashes, which can be safely deleted.
But on a TomTom (Linux-based) they are something completely different (voice files, warning sounds etc.)

Let's NOT let Windows do anything right now. First, it's critical that you do a full (again, if already done) backup of your unit to another location on your PC. Use this method: https://www.tomtomforums.com/thread...-to-the-computer-and-how-to-restore-it.17864/

IF, and only IF that goes well, I'm going to suggest a reformat of the device and restore from the backup you made. We'll want to be 100% certain your U.S. map backed up correctly first.

Ask a Question