One 3rd Edition GPSFix?

TomTom Model(s)
VIA 1500M; One 3rd Edition
My 3rd Edition takes a long time to find satellites. I download the latest update but it never seems to make any difference, it still takes a long time to locate a satellite. Can anything be done about this?

Thanks

When was the latest file you downloaded? The last couple of days?

Have you tried resetting the unit by holding the power button (if your model doesn't have a dedicated reset hole on the bottom)?

It has been slow for a long time, maybe since it was new. I can't really remember but it's about 2 1/2 years old.

No I haven't tried to reset it. I thought it resets after disconnecting from the computer. Maybe that's something else.

What's a long time?
30 seconds? 3 minutes?
Are you timing it when stationary, or do you start driving and make it try to find a fix while you're moving? - That will always take a lot longer.

You could try deleting all the ephemeris files and seeing how it works without one.
Go to the "ephem" folder on the TT and delete all the contents

AND on your PC delete all the contents of
C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\ephemeris (WindowsXP) or
Windows 7/VISTA: C:\Users\username\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\ ephemeris (Win7/Vista)

Then try downloading the latest GPSQuickfix once more.

Takes 1 1/2 minutes to find and fix satellites while parked.

It does not download the Qucikfix updates anymore. Could this have been limited to 1 year only? It worked when I first bought it. It works correctly on my XL but not my One.

Thanks

Getting the QuickGPSFix updates might help. Sounds like you got one bad one, and Home now no longer thinks you need them.

On your unit:

• Find the "ephem" folder.
  • Do me a favor and with your favorite text editor, read the one line in the file called ee_meta.txt. Tell me the 10 digit number that follows "Expiry=". I want to report that to TomTom if it's bad.
  • Delete all three files that you find there (ee_meta.tlv, ee_meta.txt, packedephemeris.ee).

On your PC:

• Find the "My Documents/TomTom/HOME/Downloads/complete/ephemeris" folder.
  • Delete all of the folders inside that folder called "QuickGPSFix..."

Now hook up to Home again and see if you start getting fresh QuickGPSFix updates again.

Expiry=1322091830, there were only two files present in the folder: TXT & TLV.

Your suggestion worked. I was offered the fix update this time. I'll try it this afternoon to see if it finds sats faster.

Thanks.

@Andy
Could be, Andy, but I swear your message (and the OP's message just prior to mine) wasn't there when I posted. Reason? I had left his first message up on my screen in another (forgotten) tab before replying! I should probably avoid having multiple instances of the forum up at the same time...

@NoWhereMan
The expiry info is much appreciated, but did not reveal anything peculiar. That unix date stamp corresponds to Wed, 23 Nov 2011 23:43:50 GMT. Looks like you haven't had an update since then, but at least it's not a date out somewhere in the future that ought to have prevented new downloads. Hmm..

It does not download the Qucikfix updates anymore. Could this have been limited to 1 year only? It worked when I first bought it. It works correctly on my XL but not my One.

Via TomTom HOME 2, delete QuidkGPSfix both on your device AND on the computer (In Manage My ONE).
Attempt an update then, QuickGPSfix should be offered.

Ask a Question