GPS windshied state law

TomTom Model(s)
TT Go 720
In which state it is not allowed to put GPS on the windshield? I think in California and one more state...

I understand that California changed their law to allow gps items to be attached at the bottom of the windshield, not in the line of sight of the driver. Could be wrong. Also think the other state is Minnesota.

(could be wrong on that, too ......:cool: )

HI there..

Strange law.. but good old Arnie came to the rescue..

In late September, California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed into law Senate Bill 1567, the GPS Windshield Safety Act, which permits the mounting of portable GPS units in specific areas of vehicle windshields. Windshield mounting was previously illegal in California, and those who ignored the law were sometimes ticketed and fined $108 for "obstructed windshield" violations. California drivers take note: the new law does not take effect until January 1, 2009.

California GPS Windshield Safety Act - SB 1567

have fun

Weird tidbit in the link - New Jersey also bans windshield mounting? Geez I didn't know I drive through there all the time.

The top of the windshield to the left of the rearview mirror is (in my opinon) the absolute safest place to mount a GPS: close to the road, close to your eyes, and not blocking anything.

New Jersey - 39:3-74 Obstruction of Windshield for Vision

And the source in the official laws of New Jersey.

Last edited:
The top of the windshield to the left of the rearview mirror is (in my opinon) the absolute safest place to mount a GPS: close to the road, close to your eyes, and not blocking anything.

Not really... Ask your head how it feels after hitting the GPS in an accident...

In serious accidents, peoples sometimes slip-out of the seat belt, for all kind of reason like improperly locked belt, belt worn too lose, seat back too much reclined... In these cases, they often hit the inflatable bag next and slip towards the rear view mirror. I've seen injuries caused by a rearview mirror and it's not pretty...

In my opinion, while staying on the windshield, it's safer to mount it as low as possible. That way, other "more sutrdy" parts of the body will hit it..

We can't avoid the rearview mirrors, they are a necessity and to be useful, they need to be mounted where they are. Also, a mirror mount will always move, even if hit head-on. A gps mount doesn't have that flexibility. Last, when the damn suction cups let go, a gps falling on the dash from 0.5" high is less likely to cause a disturbance who could result in an accident than one falling from the top of the windshield

Remember: that's why voice guidance is there, we're not supposed to look at the gps all the time. A quick glance once in a while, when it's safe to do so, that's all we should do.

Not really... Ask your head how it feels after hitting the GPS in an accident...

In serious accidents, peoples sometimes slip-out of the seat belt, for all kind of reason like improperly locked belt, belt worn too lose, seat back too much reclined... In these cases, they often hit the inflatable bag next and slip towards the rear view mirror. I've seen injuries caused by a rearview mirror and it's not pretty...

In my opinion, while staying on the windshield, it's safer to mount it as low as possible. That way, other "more sutrdy" parts of the body will hit it..

We can't avoid the rearview mirrors, they are a necessity and to be useful, they need to be mounted where they are. Also, a mirror mount will always move, even if hit head-on. A gps mount doesn't have that flexibility. Last, when the damn suction cups let go, a gps falling on the dash from 0.5" high is less likely to cause a disturbance who could result in an accident than one falling from the top of the windshield

Remember: that's why voice guidance is there, we're not supposed to look at the gps all the time. A quick glance once in a while, when it's safe to do so, that's all we should do.

I think it can be argued that anything (mounted anywhere, including in-dash) that takes your eyes off the road and the traffic in front of you poses a hazard to navigation. This includes the rear view mirror, but as has been noted, we really can't do without it. Please remember, legislators everywhere believe that unless they are cooking up all kinds of new laws (seatbelt, helmet, you name it), the just aren't serving their constituents. My belief is that most (if not all) of these statutes are really designed to generate income for whatever government agency enforces them. When was the last time you broke a law that did not cost you $$ ?

Weird tidbit in the link - New Jersey also bans windshield mounting? Geez I didn't know I drive through there all the time.

New Jersey - 39:3-74 Obstruction of Windshield for Vision

And the source in the official laws of New Jersey.

The Soviet Republic of New Jersey will figure a way to take your money no matter how ridiculous the law is. They even charge you to move from the "State".

Just last night my wife and I came to the realization that at long last we are prepared to leave Calif., and we are both natives. Just too many stupid, onerous laws (and lawmakers), too many ignorant people, too costly, too much of just about everything to stay. Never thought I'd say that, but.... :mad:

I Please remember, legislators everywhere believe that unless they are cooking up all kinds of new laws (seatbelt, helmet, you name it), the just aren't serving their constituents.
Well, here in Canada our health care is paid for by the taxes we pay so, not having to pay for all those accident victims means less taxes paid.
And that's a good thing.

Ask a Question