gps taking me down dead end - One XL-S

Hi,

My TomTom has told me to take a couple of roads that either don't exist or dead end.

Purchased new back in May, updated to last 8.x version.

I have a One XL-S that my wife uses since she is new to my city. And because of some misleading directions she is very frustrated. I use it from time to time just for fun. For the most part I know where I am going so I just use the GPS because it is a cool tech toy.

Several days ago the unit told me to go a certain way to get home. I decided to take the street to see where I ended up and even being more efficient than my usual route but about 1/5 mile after turning onto the street it ended and I had to back up and take the way I usually do. The same thing has happened several times on different streets. I told my wife that these streets have not changed recently and it is not a matter of updating our maps which I did anyway. I live in Austin, Texas which is a large city although I live out in the well populated hills west of the city.

I am wondering about the accuracy of the maps. Since the errors I have encountered are not related to new roads being constructed.

My wife wants to buy a Garmin Nuvi since she is frustrated.

Welcome to the world of consumer navigation. The errors in the maps are present in EVERY navigation system. Just go to some of the GARMIN forums and you'll see the same gripes! And yes, it's frustrating. It might be that Garmin (navteq maps) is slightly more accurate for your area; but you'll find that TomTom (Teleatlas maps) is better in others. The Ratings sections of most retailers have many comments left by folks who have switched back and forth.

But at least the TomTom gives you the ability to correct those dead ends on your GPS (along with many other things); Nuvi does not. That was one of the features that swung me to TomTom.

tomtom is normally pretty good in the US, especially in cities. there are so many mapshare corrections out there in cities that the maps are usually accurate, but there can be mistakes. if you say that you have the latest maps, then it's possible you have incorrect mapshare suggestions. i'd try to find other texans that have similar problems.

Ask a Question