Did the fix work for you?

• Mapconfig fix worked

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Cab file manual extraction worked

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Neither worked

Votes: 10 47.6%

• Total voters
When you replaced the asr files, did you highlight all the asr files in the cab asr folder and copy them to the asr folder on the unit, overwriting existing files of the same name [...]

And two other questions, if I may: 1) Does your Operate My Go still work and 2) when you tap the satellite bars on the unit, does it show firmware version 7.48?

I did exactly what you wrote: opened CAB file and just extracted it to my unit, overwriting all existing files of the same name... added "support" (just in case) and worked fine.

Regarding your other questions, I honestly do not remember. HOWEVER, I do remember that the signal bars were running up-down and when I used VR (to verify), the new metering scheme was being used... so I would assume I was running 7.48 version.

I'm back to v7.221 (VR is not really that being deal to me, but definitely a nice feature!); however, given that the TT CS admitted that the new FW has a bug, I'll wait until next week to d/l and install the new FW...

After upgrading to 7.48 as soon as I opened my newly purchased TomTom, everything is screwy. Routing is broken, VR is broken, Traffic is broken.

So, I need to downgrade. Is this possible without a backup? I didn't backup because it was a new unit... I figured, nothing to backup.

If it's not possible, is there a way to borrow someone else's backup? If so, don't suppose one of you kind people would be so inclined as to help me? Please? :D

After upgrading to 7.48 as soon as I opened my newly purchased TomTom, everything is screwy. Routing is broken, VR is broken, Traffic is broken.

So, I need to downgrade. Is this possible without a backup? I didn't backup because it was a new unit... I figured, nothing to backup.

If it's not possible, is there a way to borrow someone else's backup? If so, don't suppose one of you kind people would be so inclined as to help me? Please? :D

Might as well just exchange it for a new one (i.e., do an "even-exchange" at the store and then make a backup of the unit right-out-of-the-box)?

Yeah, this brought back my VR and Traffic... still refuses to make left turns, though.

I'm scared of the stupidity of TT customer support. The woman refused to believe the 720 has VR. She said, "Sir, only the 920 and 920T have voice recognition. You must have the 920." :eek: I assured her I was staring at the device and that it was the 720 and that there is VR. Again, she said, "Sir, that's impossible, the 720 doesn't have that feature." I gave up and said, "Then I must have an exceptional TomTom..."

Yikes....

She did tell me they're releasing a new firmware update Tuesday, though. So that's something to look forward to. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'm scared of the stupidity of TT customer support. The woman refused to believe the 720 has VR. She said, "Sir, only the 920 and 920T have voice recognition. You must have the 920."

'Technically' the USA version does not have VR out-of-the-box.

I copied the ASR folder from a backup I made prior to upgrading
back over to my TT and that got the VR workin again for me.

Finally got VR to work

I tried all the various tips/tricks listed in this and other threads all to no avail. It is my belief that TT has hoodwinked us but removing VR on the 720's but conspiracy theories are tough to prove.

I had all the deficiencies listed here by others as far as not having VR work. I was down to my last "trick" to get VR back and this is what worked for me.

1. I found the 7.221 software on another website( and listed in this, or another thread on this discussion board) and downloaded it and unzipped to to a file call 7.221.
2. I looked at all the files in the recently created 7.221 file using Windows Explorer. I dragged every folder and file over to the connected TT 720 via Windows Explorer into the appropriate folder on the TT unit. There were 4 folders and 9 other files. I did not delete anything from the connected TT unit I just had WE update files and folders as it came across similar ones.
3. I then disconnected the TT and restarted the unti and everything now works.

The firmware is listed as 7.221, I have the old style VR icons and no VR meter. The satellite bars go from the bottom of the unit towards the top of the unit when all the information is listed at the bottom of the screen and not on the side. (not sure if this is considered horizontal or verticle).

When I go to update the TT720 through TT Home, I get no message of new updates being available.

Hope this is helpful.

Mark W

Does anyone know what's new or has been fixed in 7.48?
Besides what got broken? :D

My understanding is that was was supposed to be changed, (note the italics), beside cosmetic changes involving a voice meter, satellite bars smaller and horizontal, was to provide 'hooks' in Navcore 7 to allow for the functionality of IQ routing. In other words, the latter change would have not been noticed by Navcore 7 users (regardless of x20 model) at this time. Not until the user BOUGHT and dl a map version that implemented the IQ routing.

What was NOT supposed to happen was: 1) VR getting broken on 920's 2) Itinerary Planning disappearing on some 920's 3) Operate my Go ceasing to function in TTHome.

Collateral damage: VR stopped working, at least the 'hack' for it in North American 720's (European 720's never needed the hack; they had VR working out of the box).

Supposedly, a 'patch' or 'separate application' is to be made available for 920 users to fix the issues caused by the 7.480 firmware update.

No mention whatsoever whether the NA 720's with the 'hack' will see VR become enabled again.

Wohaaaa... flabergasted!!

It's sooooo weird..
I reverted to my 7.221 backup, then decided to try re-updating to 7.480, then did a paperclip reset
The version i just downloaded gives me the same build 9084(080313)

I now have VR working just fine, :eek::eek::eek:
I even tried hard to mess it up..
I deleted the support_asr.dat
I also deleted the MapSettings.cfg
then redid a paperclipreset..

Ok i lost my favorites and my Base,
plus had to redo some settings, but not a big deal,

VR works...:)

There is one GOOOD thing i noticed too..
The output level towards the fm transmitter is now calibrated... it's at nominal output, wich is a lot closer than volume of any radio station, plus the instructions are at the same volume, and it,s not affected by the volume slider in the device... and there is no more that big difference between the instructions and mp3's.. Good Move for that.

You are a glutton for punishment.

Does your Operate My Go in TTHome work?

------------

and, if you put back the mapsettings.cfg file, does your VR still work and do you get your Favourites back?

You are a glutton for punishment.

Does your Operate My Go in TTHome work?

------------

and, if you put back the mapsettings.cfg file, does your VR still work and do you get your Favourites back?

Operate works on a PC with XP,
no go on a Mac Intel

putting mapsetings back i still keep the VR and my favorites/home are back

as for strange issues..;)

'Technically' the USA version does not have VR out-of-the-box.

I've seen this stated a few times and I believe in the earlier versions of the 720 this was true.

I bought mine from SamsClub about 2 months ago and right out of the box VR worked (well kinda, it don't like my southern drawl but that's another issue all together) :). Maybe I got a "special" version but I doubt it.

It bums me out that they disabled VR whether intentional or not.

I thought a new FW was supposed to be released yesterday to fix 7.48. No word on that, hm?

I was told to expect it Thursday. However, the implication was that the firmware update was supposed to be to fix the issues created on 920 units. So, we'll have to see whether the 720 problems are resolved with the same update.

Ask a Question