Did the fix work for you?

• Mapconfig fix worked

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Cab file manual extraction worked

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Neither worked

Votes: 10 47.6%

• Total voters
Two recent posters on the Brit site with 520's report they DO have the support_asr.dat file. One says, according to the time stamp, the **only** file NOT updated with the firmware update was that .dat file.

I don't know whether I'm doing more harm than good reporting what others are saying on the issue. All I know is that most posters in this site are North American and, as such, are the ones most affected by this turn of events.

I suspect most affected would trade the new voice volume indicator (instead of the lip colour icon) and vertical satellite bars to get back the VR.

Last edited:
Figures....

I just returned my second unit (bad USB cables) and started to work on the new TT to get voice recognition. You can imagine the frustration when after completing every step along the way I do not have voice recognition anymore. I had thought I had another bad unit and was all set to fire off a question to this forum and what do you know, I'm not the only one who experienced this.

Is it possible to reload the firmware that came with the unit and then only update to the version (7.221 I think) instead of getting the update that wrecked the VR? Is it worth trying.

I strongly considering returning this unit and waiting until the TT 730 comes out in April. how good is TT about meeting their announced release dates?

Mark W

Is it possible to reload the firmware that came with the unit and then only update to the version (7.221 I think) instead of getting the update that wrecked the VR? Is it worth trying.

I strongly considering returning this unit and waiting until the TT 730 comes out in April. how good is TT about meeting their announced release dates?

Mark W
if you had a backup, you'll get back to the original firmware version

i don't know about release dates, but at least we know they are working on their issues, since the original 7.48 was removed from uptade then resent with a different built number..

let's keep our fingers crossed that it will be resolved soon by the engineers in the netherlands, because (and that's a point of view) NA support don't know Jack s*** (see this for fun) about their new products most of the time giving guessed solutions(aka flash tools)...even more true when it's a new release...

They have a major communication problem between the people who makes the software and the people who troubleshoots it IMHO.

Sorry but i'm a bit frustrated at TT "Oops we didn't see it coming"

Last edited:
Under the category of 'nothing ventured, nothing gained', a hunch (more than likely very wrong)...

If you have a backup of your unit's contents prior to the new firmware installation, maybe try this:
1. Copy the file mapsettings.cfg from your unit's map folder to the desktop
2. Copy the same file from a backup into your unit's map folder
3. Do a pin reset and see what happens (does the VR work?)
4. If a no-go, you can just copy back the .cfg file on the desktop to the unit's map folder.

Under the category of 'nothing ventured, nothing gained', a hunch (more than likely very wrong)...

If you have a backup of your unit's contents prior to the new firmware installation, maybe try this:
4. If a no-go, you can just copy back the .cfg file on the desktop to the unit's map folder.

I'll try that tomorrow morning,
i'll keep you posted..

OHH and BTW, the flash tools thing wasn't pointed at you at all dhn,
I know you meant to help,
if it sounded rude, i'm deeply sorry :eek:

but simply knowing tht TT suggests that in case of despair makes me angry at them..

i'd prefer being told "i'm sorry i don't know ,and i 'll get back to you " than "try this."
but since we are on our own.. nothing is lost trying stuff... hopefully we will find the solution and submit it to them..

regards

No, I know where the comments were directed.

Believe me, I've had the same sense of frustration many times.

Thanks, anyway.

Potential Problem and a question

The new unit I just got came with the very old 7.05 software. This is what I made a back up copy of. When TT Home told me there was an update I updated to newer software. Later in the day it updated me again (I'm assuming that it from the 7.221 to the 7.48). I never made a back up of the 7.221 version. So, the back up on my computer is 7.05.

My question is this - can you make a back up each and every time you make a change to your TT and is each back up saved seperately or does each back up build upon the last one.

Thanks -

Mark W

Same for me. Voice regognition stopped working as well as the ability to work the unit from TT Home. Any way to revert the Version upgrade?

Unfortunately, I don't like the 7.48. I want to downgrade it back to 7.221.
I did a backup of my 720 7.221 before upgrading.

My 4GB SDHC contains: mp3, audiobooks, guam, north_america_2gb, and photos.
My Internal memory contains: other remaining application files.

Are these the correct steps?
1) Connect 720 to PC
2) Document all files and folders that are going to be deleted in the internal memory
3) Delete the content of the entire internal memory
4) Copy from backup, all the files and folders to the internal memory
5) Disconnect from Home
6) Use Clear_Flash and maybe Reset

Thanks in advance. :)

Unfortunately, I don't like the 7.48. I want to downgrade it back to 7.221.
I did a backup of my 720 7.221 before upgrading.

My 4GB SDHC contains: mp3, audiobooks, guam, north_america_2gb, and photos.
My Internal memory contains: other remaining application files.

Are these the correct steps?
1) Connect 720 to PC
2) Document all files and folders that are going to be deleted in the internal memory
3) Delete the content of the entire internal memory
4) Copy from backup, all the files and folders to the internal memory
5) Disconnect from Home
6) Use Clear_Flash and maybe Reset

Thanks in advance. :)
sounds good, but i'd do it via windows rather than using home...

Tomtom woes

Surely, this wasn't an accident. I am sure that TomTom engineers have an American unit, and they simply decided that they wanted to disable the VR....again. Why? It's not like only a few users are experiencing this problem after the update. :mad:

L

SOLVED!!! (but at what cost?)

dnh:
:D you rock, that did it,
after placing the mapsettings.cfg from the old version, VR is back!
I even did it twice to make sure that was really it..
as soon i place back the mapsettings.cfg of version 7.48, icons get back grayed.
placing 7.221 restores them.

VR new caption icon even works.
I don,t know if this changes other things, i'll do some further testings tonight.

Thanks a million for the suggestion.

dnh:
:D you rock, that did it,
after placing the mapsettings.cfg from the old version, VR is back!
I even did it twice to make sure that was really it..
as soon i place back the mapsettings.cfg of version 7.48, icons get back grayed.
placing 7.221 restores them.

VR new caption icon even works.
I don,t know if this changes other things, i'll do some further testings tonight.

Thanks a million for the suggestion.

Wow! Great.....

Can you confirm that, when you tap the satellite bars on the unit, the version DOES show 7.40 instead of 7.221?

It looks like the 920s are also having problems with VR. So this appears to be an across the board problem that should be fixed by TT soon. Another update coming soon?

Yes,
7.480(0984/080313) OS:3024
GPS 1.21, lancer 5.4106

That's terrific news then.

I got the hunch from seeing issues posters in the Brit forum were having with the new update. They were reporting things like their custom car icon got removed, their favourites gone, their computer voice disabled BUT their VR was working.

Well, I know the European models always had VR implemented so they must have a different system setup to make it work but the other problems they reported were, I knew, pieces of info stored in the mapsettings.cfg file. So, I figured, "why not?" and offered up the suggestion.

Ask a Question