• Mapconfig fix worked

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Cab file manual extraction worked

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Neither worked

Votes: 10 47.6%

• Total voters
This is until the next update gets releaded,

1- do a full backup of your 7.221, i'd suggest via windows explorer rather than from Home

2- Apply the update to 7.48 using home

3-Once the update is done, in windows explorer copy the file named MapSettings.cfg wich is located in /tomtom drive/mapname folder to your desktop.

4-get the mapsettings.cfg that is in the mapname folder in your BACKUP folder and copy it into the device mapname folder.

That's what worked for me

Did it again just to make sure I didn't miss something, but still non functional.
I have all the menu icons working just no response from the upper right meter indicator when i speak showing it hears my voice....

This is until the next update gets releaded,

1- do a full backup of your 7.221, i'd suggest via windows explorer rather than from Home

2- Apply the update to 7.48 using home

3-Once the update is done, in windows explorer copy the file named MapSettings.cfg wich is located in /tomtom drive/mapname folder to your desktop.

4-get the mapsettings.cfg that is in the mapname folder in your BACKUP folder and copy it into the device mapname folder.

That's what worked for me
Sorry, I've tried this like 4 times and it does not work for me.

Maybe this is something interesting to note:

VR is not working for me when trying to do a spoken address, but it IS working for traffic. TT asked me if I wanted to re-route due to traffic and I was able to say "yes". The little speech meter showed in the top right corner.

No luck on Mac

Tried everything described in previous posts. No luck. Lost VR each time.

So I tried to restore. Home's Restore did not work. It would stop stating that an EXE file was locked and would not continue. Unlocked via Mac's Get Info command and still had no luck getting back to 7.221.

Thought Oh shite, I'm screwed. Since I couldn't restore I thought I would treat the TT as a volume. Dragged everything off and trashed. Dragged everything from back-up file. It worked. At least I'm back to where I started.

Don't think I'll try anything until 7.4 is modified and stable.

Again, thanks to this forum.

Steve

So, we have two approachs presented. Both which lay claim to working for some and not others.

Can we have a consensus of which method to activate VR should be used?

At this point I'm still in limbo.

The effort to come up with a workaround is greatly appreciated.

Hard to have a consensus when each method works for **at least** one user. The suggestion for just replacing the mapsettings.cfg file is faster but a user doesn't know whether it'll work until tried.

For the suggestion to replace ALL files in the asr folder with the files in the cab's file asr folder .... well, we've had some users say that method works for them as far as VR is concerned. However, I've also seen posters say the new upgrade has: disabled the ability to use the Operate My Go feature of TTHome and at least 2 920 users have said the Itinerary Planning icon is now missing after their firmware upgrade.

Neither proponent of either method for rectifying the VR issue has addressed those purported problems.

Finally, mixed messages received by some posters from TomTom support: one says TT Support said it was a conscious act to disable VR on a 720 while another says that TTSupport realizes there are bugs in the 7.480 firmware release and it'll be replaced next week in another.

What to do .... what to do .....:confused:

Personally, I'll just stay with 7.221 for the moment.

Hard to have a consensus when each method works for **at least** one user.

For the suggestion to replace ALL files in the asr folder with the files in the cab's file asr folder ....

Another says that TTSupport realizes there are bugs in the 7.480 firmware release and it'll be replaced next week in another.

When v7.48 was installed on my 720 I tried both:

mapconfig = NO success
replace ASR = YES, it worked

I don't know what bug she was referring to when I spoke with her on the phone yesterday, but she did say that the tech guys told her that they realize there's a bug in the new FW and the fix should be coming out early next week. Will it fix "our problem"? I honestly have no idea...

When v7.48 was installed on my 720 I tried both:

mapconfig = NO success
replace ASR = YES, it worked

I don't know what bug she was referring to when I spoke with her on the phone yesterday, but she did say that the tech guys told her that they realize there's a bug in the new FW and the fix should be coming out early next week. Will it fix "our problem"? I honestly have no idea...

When you replaced the asr files, did you highlight all the asr files in the cab asr folder and copy them to the asr folder on the unit, overwriting existing files of the same name or did you delete all the asr files on the unit and REPLACE them (in the now blank asr folder) with the asr files from the cab file?

And two other questions, if I may: 1) Does your Operate My Go still work and 2) when you tap the satellite bars on the unit, does it show firmware version 7.48?

When you replaced the asr files, did you highlight all the asr files in the cab asr folder and copy them to the asr folder on the unit, overwriting existing files of the same name or did you delete all the asr files on the unit and REPLACE them (in the now blank asr folder) with the asr files from the cab file?

And two other questions, if I may: 1) Does your Operate My Go still work and 2) when you tap the satellite bars on the unit, does it show firmware version 7.48?

The mapsettings.cfg solution did NOT work on my unit, I tried several times, with and without the support_asr.dat file in there, I even went as far as adding every computer voice there is just in case the new ASR files required it, and it still didn't work

The cab solution worked beautifully, I simply opened it, clicked path (to make the selection easier) highlighted all the files that were destined for the asr folder, CTRL + C .. then went to my tomtom asr folder and clicked CTRL+V, answered yes to all .. didn't have to delete anything, not even the extra files added with the latest update. Restarted unit and VR worked without a glitch.
I for one voted for the cab solution coz the cfg file thing simply didn't work, regardless of what I tried.

Moving ASR Folder Worked

Hi all,

Tried both recommendations and neither worked. Every time I tried to expand the .cab file I got an error message or expanded folders were empty. Not sure if I was supposed to expand but it was the only way to get to the older working ASR folder.

So I tried something different. Copied the working 7.221 ASR folder from the TT unit to the desktop. Upgraded to 7.4. Obviously SR did not work as we all know. Dragged the ASR folder from the desktop to the TT and allowed it to replace/overwrite the "newer" ASR file. It worked. SR now works.

One thing I did notice, however. With 7.4 and no changes the TT turned on with a sound. After replacing with the 7.221 ASR folder I no longer get that startup sound but again get SR. Minor thing but could I have gotten rid of some of the newer 7.4 files that I should have or need? Using a Mac.

Steve:D

Hi all,

Tried both recommendations and neither worked. Every time I tried to expand the .cab file I got an error message or expanded folders were empty. Not sure if I was supposed to expand but it was the only way to get to the older working ASR folder.

So I tried something different. Copied the working 7.221 ASR folder from the TT unit to the desktop. Upgraded to 7.4. Obviously SR did not work as we all know. Dragged the ASR folder from the desktop to the TT and allowed it to replace/overwrite the "newer" ASR file. It worked. SR now works.

One thing I did notice, however. With 7.4 and no changes the TT turned on with a sound. After replacing with the 7.221 ASR folder I no longer get that startup sound but again get SR. Minor thing but could I have gotten rid of some of the newer 7.4 files that I should have or need? Using a Mac.

So essentially the cab method did work with you, albeit in a different manner, all the cab method does is get the old asr files if one doesn't have a backup handy, to replace the ones the final update installs.
In essence "the cab method" installs the older ASR files; by moving the folder from your desktop to TT, you essentially did the same thing.
I am not sure why a mac can't open a cab file, in xp you simply double click it and it opens, and you can extract one file, or all files ...

Hi all,

Try doing a pin reset and see if you get the sound. I find I only get the drum roll sound if the unit has reset itself.

Voice recognition on 720

Got it figured out.
Go to your old back up files and copy the asr file (make sure the support file is there) then go to your devive files and delete the new one and paste the old one in. Turn off your device and start it up again , Voila , theres your voice

Got it figured out.
Go to your old back up files and copy the asr file (make sure the support file is there) then go to your devive files and delete the new one and paste the old one in. Turn off your device and start it up again , Voila , theres your voice

See, different solutions for different people. The poster for whom the mapsettings.cfg file was replaced does not even have the support_asr.dat file (new or old) in his unit's asr folder and it works! (This is how the European 720's operate, no .dat file required).

Maybe it depends on the version the units came bundled with,
not all updates affects all files.

I'm the kind of guy who likes clean starts,
so after my initial backup when i first got my TT, i deleted everything from the internal, and used Home to "start fresh" plus i had a Map guarantee...
Maybe it is related

sorry for those that can't get it to work.

There should be an update again soon.. so from now on I beleive its better to wait..

Regards

Ask a Question