Did the fix work for you?

• Mapconfig fix worked

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Cab file manual extraction worked

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Neither worked

Votes: 10 47.6%

• Total voters
I was told to expect it Thursday. However, the implication was that the firmware update was supposed to be to fix the issues created on 920 units. So, we'll have to see whether the 720 problems are resolved with the same update.

My bet is that it will work(or maybe not even work):p on both devices, since they always develop for all X20 models at the same time

My bet is that it will work(or maybe not even work):p on both devices, since they always develop for all X20 models at the same time

Maybe not..........remember, VR was never meant to work on NA 720's; it was meant to work on 920's.

I updated my friends 720 (map v707.1481 - Firmware update 7.480) & it killed the device, since it would no longer boot up, & had a red blinking X. Lucky for me I found out what files i had to delete to restore it back to normal. But when it came back, all VR functions were grayed out & dead. So if your 720 did not get its VR killed, or became temp brick, then consider yourself lucky.

I updated my friends 720 (map v707.1481 - Firmware update 7.480) & it killed the device, since it would no longer boot up, & had a red blinking X. Lucky for me I found out what files i had to delete to restore it back to normal. But when it came back, all VR functions were grayed out & dead. So if your 720 did not get its VR killed, or became temp brick, then consider yourself lucky.

I do not know what map you are referring to. North America map 7.10 was the minimum requirement to get VR working with the 'hack'; the map prior to that was North america 7.05. There never was a North America map 7.07.

920 No Voice & Can't operate from Computer

I downloaded the update on the March 17th, and now I have no voices and I cannot operate the unit from my Desktop. I called TomTom support on the 19th or March and they said they knew about it and that it was from a corrupt download. They advised that they had received an email from corporate headquarters telling them they would have a fix out on Tuesday of the next week. I was pissed that it was going to take them so long. I called back Tuesday and they said maybe by the end of the day. Today they are saying the fix will be out by Friday, and that they were sorry. What the hell could they have done, and why is taking so long to fix it. Hell even Microsoft gets fixes out faster than this. I didn?t expect this kind of support when I spent $500.00 on the item.

I'm with you. Crappy product, and a company that has no idea what they are doing. Lousy customer support. They lie about how easy it is to use. False advertising right on their website. TTHOME for Mac is a joke. Please stop me from ranting now...:mad:

Oh, it constantly shows the direction going left, and it tells me to turn right, and visa versa.:confused: :confused: :mad: :mad: :confused: :confused:

Yeah, I've basically considered it $400 down the drain.

Will probably either bite the $1400 bullet and get an OEM Audi unit.
Or do a custom install with a Pioneer D3, or whatever it is.

I downloaded the update on the March 17th, and now I have no voices and I cannot operate the unit from my Desktop. I called TomTom support on the 19th or March and they said they knew about it and that it was from a corrupt download. They advised that they had received an email from corporate headquarters telling them they would have a fix out on Tuesday of the next week. I was pissed that it was going to take them so long. I called back Tuesday and they said maybe by the end of the day. Today they are saying the fix will be out by Friday, and that they were sorry. What the hell could they have done, and why is taking so long to fix it. Hell even Microsoft gets fixes out faster than this. I didn?t expect this kind of support when I spent $500.00 on the item.

I'm with you. Crappy product, and a company that has no idea what they are doing. Lousy customer support. They lie about how easy it is to use. False advertising right on their website. TTHOME for Mac is a joke. Please stop me from ranting now...:mad:

Oh, it constantly shows the direction going left, and it tells me to turn right, and visa versa.:confused: :confused: :mad: :mad: :confused: :confused:

Yeah, I've basically considered it $400 down the drain.

Will probably either bite the $1400 bullet and get an OEM Audi unit.
Or do a custom install with a Pioneer D3, or whatever it is.

I've had my 720 for six month now and I am totally pleased with it's accuracy, dependablity, and ease of use. I have never been lost with it nor has it ever been lost. It is very accurate, right to the address, the speed function is dead on and when I cross an intersection I'm crossing that point on the screen. The only problem I've ever had was solved by TT support with expediency and curteous tech reps. I only use the 720 for navigation, point A to point B stuff. No MP3, no wireless FM, no pictures or videos, no third party software, although I do use the hand free phone setup. I am not going to try and evolve my device into something else that will probably be only marginal performance. So far all the POI's are dead on in accuracy and position. Every one that I needed so far had been there. I don't forsee downloading any additional. One thing I do though is only connect to TT Home once monthly for updates and only downloading after checking with this forum for any discomfort. I can difinatly say the firmware 7,48 is not getting installed. Anyway I thought I would post this to get something on the other side of the equal sign

Have a good evening
Richard

I've had my 720 for six month now and I am totally pleased with it's accuracy, dependablity, and ease of use. I have never been lost with it nor has it ever been lost. It is very accurate, right to the address, the speed function is dead on and when I cross an intersection I'm crossing that point on the screen. The only problem I've ever had was solved by TT support with expediency and curteous tech reps. I only use the 720 for navigation, point A to point B stuff. No MP3, no wireless FM, no pictures or videos, no third party software, although I do use the hand free phone setup. I am not going to try and evolve my device into something else that will probably be only marginal performance. So far all the POI's are dead on in accuracy and position. Every one that I needed so far had been there. I don't forsee downloading any additional. One thing I do though is only connect to TT Home once monthly for updates and only downloading after checking with this forum for any discomfort. I can difinatly say the firmware 7,48 is not getting installed. Anyway I thought I would post this to get something on the other side of the equal sign

Have a good evening
Richard
Thanks for posting your comments. My experience is exactly the same as yours and I am very pleased I chose Tom Tom over other simliar products.

Have a good evening
Richard

:) :) Excellent post Richard. It has been said over and over again in regards to new firmware downloads. "Check the forums before you download to ensure it is not buggy". Also in regards to customer support there are as many negatives for Garmin, Magellan, Mio, Navigon etc as there is for TT. With the exception of Magellan I would have to say that the majority of comments re customer service are very positive. Mistakes can be made. Check out the Garmin threads re the latest firmware from them. Lots of 750's have been put out of service due to a bug in the latest firmware there as well. I will agree there should be more care taken before updates are released and I am sure they will sit up and take notice in the future.

Reality Check

Come on guys let's get serious. It?s not a matter of you liking the device it?s a matter of being able to use it. I would not have purchased it if I thought it was not a good product. But you don?t become defensive when someone tells the truth. TomTom caused a problem with one of their updates and it?s inconceivable that it should take more than two weeks to fix it. At this price point owners shouldn?t have to go to a forum and find a fix on their own. My God some people take it as if you were demeaning their family when you complain about TomTom support. The device needs to be fixed and TomTom needs to communicate the problem and its resolution better than they have done at the present time.

drum roll start-up sound

Try doing a pin reset and see if you get the sound. I find I only get the drum roll sound if the unit has reset itself.

i did indeed get the drum roll sound when i did the pin reset, but only that first time. subsequent start-ups still have no sound :-(

i did indeed get the drum roll sound when i did the pin reset, but only that first time. subsequent start-ups still have no sound :-(

Normal power down-power up (using the button on the top of the unit) does not generate the sound. As mentioned, the paperclip resetting will generate the drum rolls. This is working as designed.

Ask a Question