• Mapconfig fix worked

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Cab file manual extraction worked

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Neither worked

Votes: 10 47.6%

• Total voters
First bad thing;
maybe i went too fast disconnecting the unit, but after updating, the unit didn't boot..
restoring the backup i had and retrying...

EDIT: I did disconnect to quickly.. my bad.. so see followups..

Have you ever noticed that it is longer to Push something onto the GO then getiing it?

Oh! and dhn.. i'm happy to be a guinnea pig :p

Last edited:
Ok, it's done,
upon first look:
Custom car icon gone, but all icons are still there.. simply have to reselect it.

Speech recognition still works(not true sorry), now displays a input level (meter)when talking to the device(sweet)

All other settings are there, including poi's, favorites, phone settings

doing some more testing on the road later today and i'll keep you posted..

I did update using MAC version of Home

Last edited:
I just updated mine.

Noticed it reverted back to the blue arrow. Now the GPS signal is vertical, despite having a horizontal status bar. I wonder if this is for displaying speed limits? That would be nice, the option was always there but never worked.

No problems at all with the upgrade, booted right back up. I'll have to go outside and play with it.

ABOUT SPEECH RECOGNITION:

it did work right after the update.. i did a hard reset, just to make sure since, and all voice recognition options are grayed..
:mad::mad::mad:

Voice Recognition no longer works, Hopefully someone figures out how to enable it again.

Try the Clear Flash tool and see whether that rectifies the situation Here's the link: http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?FID=6211&Lid=4&nostat=1

The reason I suggest it is a poster here who works for TomTom has affirmed that TT has gotten calls about this problem and that is the suggestion they are making ...

Let us know the results, please!

-------------

also, check that you have a computer voice selected.

Last edited:
Try the Clear Flash tool and see whether that rectifies the situation Here's the link: http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?FID=6211&Lid=4&nostat=1

The reason I suggest it is a poster here who works for TomTom has affirmed that TT has gotten calls about this problem and that is the suggestion they are making ...

-------------

No go using Flash tool on a mac..
neither on PC..

Last edited:
I did try clearflash on both PC and mac, no results

tried to reinstall computer voice, even add another one in another language and tried it.

the buttons to input adress via VR are there, but grayed..

i'm clueless..
Structure of ASR folder has changed
maybe the asr_support.dat file is obsolete and we need to set something else,
Thinking about this, because either with or without the asr_support file, i don't see any changes on the menus.... always there, but grayed...

Last edited:

-------------

I just tried this and it did not work for me. :(

Interesting to see that the ASR file has become larger. Also, even when I take out suppport.asr file, the VR icon remains, in color, but does not work.

I'm sorry, I was just repeating what I was told.

I asked in the British forum just now whether European users with the new firmware has the support_asr.dat file in the asr folder. They do not. Now, Europeans may never have needed that file since their x20's had VR straight away.

I'll keep my eyes open to see whether there is a solution for the problem. If anybody kept a backup of the previous version, I suppose you try to remove the new firmware and reinstall the old ...

The first to come up with a proper solution sure will get a props point from me (and I suspect many others).

now displays a input level (meter)when talking to the device(sweet)

I always had this after VR was enabled on my 720... In the upper right-hand corner, a semi-circle with lips and mic should show when using VR feature. When speaking to the unit, the circle will change colors from green (clearly understand your voice) to orange (working) to red (unable to understand) and will come up with the list of cities/streets preceded by a number that sound close to what you were asking for.

Sorry to ramble on about (for some) the obvious, but do other that use VR also see this?

I asked in the British forum just now whether European users with the new firmware has the support_asr.dat file in the asr folder. They do not. Now, Europeans may never have needed that file since their x20's had VR straight away.

Also, I did notice that the new FW is about 13MB larger than v7.221... I'm creating a backup of mine before I actually try to update it with the new one. However, I still think it has to do with a modifying a file (either by adding a new one or by editing an existing one) since EU and US are virtually the same units and both have VR capability... IMO, one way to figure out how to get this enabled on US 720 is to obtain EU 720's backup (w/o maps) and verify file content/size.

***UPDATE***
Installed 7.48 and decided to go back to 7.221.

Some of the new features I noticed:
1. If you are using external maps (i.e., your maps are stored on SD card), once you turn-on TT, it will display "No maps found!" on a gray background. At this point, you are NOT able to use your TT. This might seem like a good security feature...

2.During shut-down, the green screen is darker and shut-down is MUCH faster.

3.It appears that loading time (if you're using SD card) is faster; however, total start-up time seems much slower.

4.When you first turn on your unit after the new FW is installed (and maps are loaded), a big red warning screen will show saying "Voice Selected Not Available!" I think this pertains to Computer voice, although it is there?

5. Smaller Satellite bars (main screen) and as someone mentioned, they are positioned vertically (largest to smalled, top-bottom).

6.VR DOES NOT WORK! At least not for me... I did notice what they mean by "new metering" and yes, new metering is displayed; however, it's grayed-out and I'm unable to use it. The mic on the bottom of the screen is in color, but when I click on it and hold it pressed/selected, nothing happens...

7.Signal is found a bit faster, although this might be due to newer QuickGPSfix.

I haven't really played around too much, but I restored it back to v7.221. I did use RESET and ClearFlash, but no luck...

Last edited:

Ask a Question