Download 810 and 815 Large POI Databases Here!

Just curious. I have installed the large POI DB on my 720. All works good. I have 94 "bmp" files in my "brand" subdirectory. It occurs to me that with this larger DB, perhaps I should have more? No? Anyone feel like checking and letting me know? :D

-Frank

I also have 94 files, Frank. Same large poi.dat file.
Thanks. I was sorta curious what the 920/930 users have. Since these came from the 920/930. I have the 720, same as you.

i.e. "^^^815 Large POI Database from 920/930 units^^^"

BTW, I had already upgraded my 720 to app:8.300 and map:815 and these downoaded POIs were much larger than the ones I already had. So they have to be 920/930 specific. Due to more space on those units, I assume.

-Frank

I updated my maps to the most current ones and downloaded the 815 POI. I copied both files into the united_states directory and told it to overwrite the file that was in there. copies to the Tom Tom and everything seems good, but when i connected to Home I get an error that say's "Unknown exception has been caught." I click on show details and it says

"ERROR: HomeBase/Unknown: Unknown exception has been caught.
@ .\framework\DeviceItemScannerThread.cpp(75)
vector<T> too long
in .\framework\DeviceItemScannerThread.cpp:75
Stack:
0. function errorAbortTask chrome://tthome/content/logic/ttTask.js:445
error(e);
1. function error chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:1109
else if (errorNonFatal)
2. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:520
},

Time: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 01:01:25 GMT"

This is on a One. Not sure which one. Just before thay went to the XL I think. It has an SD card in it.
Thanks for your help

I updated my maps to the most current ones and downloaded the 815 POI. I copied both files into the united_states directory and told it to overwrite the file that was in there. copies to the Tom Tom and everything seems good, but when i connected to Home I get an error that say's "Unknown exception has been caught." I click on show details and it says

"ERROR: HomeBase/Unknown: Unknown exception has been caught.
@ .\framework\DeviceItemScannerThread.cpp(75)
vector<T> too long
in .\framework\DeviceItemScannerThread.cpp:75
Stack:
0. function errorAbortTask chrome://tthome/content/logic/ttTask.js:445
error(e);
1. function error chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:1109
else if (errorNonFatal)
2. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:520
},

Time: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 01:01:25 GMT"

This is on a One. Not sure which one. Just before thay went to the XL I think. It has an SD card in it.
Thanks for your help

I'm guessing that's unrelated. If it didn't work, the POI's just wouldn't show up at all. Again, just a guess.

No they did not show up. Is it because I don't have the Navcore 8.x? Can't get that on my one. Have 7. something. Not sure which one but it's the newest one

Just for the record, when I used to have a ONE XL, I had app version 8.010 with map 725, and was able to perfectly install/add the large map 810 database. I of course had a 2GB SD card though.

So is there a way to get version 8 on my one. It does not show up in home when I update it

Version 8 of navcore or the map? And if you mean navcore 8 then I'm assuming you don't have map 815, and if you don't have map 815, the 815 POI database won't work on your current map. You would have to use the 810 POI database.

I downloaded and installed the 815 large POI database flies on my TTG720 last night after I had upgraded to NavCore 8.300.9732 + NA_2GB v815.2019. I copied the two files over the existing ones in the North_America_2GB folder.

Question: how do I verify or validate that the large POI database is active? Is there a specific POI that I can look up that will validate it's working?

Thanks,
David

Version 8 of navcore or the map? And if you mean navcore 8 then I'm assuming you don't have map 815, and if you don't have map 815, the 815 POI database won't work on your current map. You would have to use the 810 POI database.

On the Tom Tom it say I have App 7.903 and Map 'United_Staes' v815.2022

Large POI Database Files

I used to have the larger POI database files on my 720 that worked just fine with application v8.204. But, after downloading the 8.25 maps and upgrading to application v8.302, the larger POI files don't work any more.

Is there a work around to continue using the larger POI files instead of the smaller ones that came with the 8.25 maps? The large files seem to have many more POI's that I don't find on the smaller files.

I have successfully installed the 810 Large POI Database onto my TomTom ONE XL. It was a simple matter of making backup copy of my present data files, then doing a copy/paste of the new "crpoi.dat" and "poi.dat" files.

I appreciate the info in this thread. Thanks to all the contributors!

I used to have the larger POI database files on my 720 that worked just fine with application v8.204. But, after downloading the 8.25 maps and upgrading to application v8.302, the larger POI files don't work any more.

Is there a work around to continue using the larger POI files instead of the smaller ones that came with the 8.25 maps? The large files seem to have many more POI's that I don't find on the smaller files.

Did you have the 810 POI's or the 815 POI's loaded before updating to the 8.25 maps? If you had the 810's you'll have to download the 815's in order for it to work with the new maps.

That was exactly the issue - I was using the 810 POI files before I updated to the 8.25 maps. I copied the 815 POI files and everything is working good now. Thank you!

POI for 8.25 map

I am using software 8.302 and had 8.10 maps in place on my 930.

Under the new subscription program, I updated to 8.25 map from the 8.10.

I am "missing" a lot of POIs for old, long established businesses in Clearwater, FL. I can't be certain that these were available before, but I surely think so.

Did I lose the POIs by going directly from 8.10 to 8.25?

The download of LARGE-POI815 is not working the last few days, or I would already have tried the 8.15 POIs with the 8.25 map.

Thanks for any help.

I do believe that some poi's were eliminated but it is hard to get a handle on how many and where.

At the same time, of course, new poi's that weren't there before are now added.

TT uses a tigher compression algorithm in later maps than earier ones so just comparing file size won't be a precise measurement of number of poi's included.

You can dl poi's through Home, of course.....

And there are other sites that contain custom poi's that you can search out.

Here are some:
Free POI files - GPS POI Data Directory - GPS POI Data
POI Factory | new & interesting places for your GPS
POIfriend.com: Free GPS POI (Point of Interest) Downloads, Maps & Community - Garmin TomTom

and our own Forum has a poi section, too.

Ask a Question