Download 810 and 815 Large POI Databases Here!

^^^815 Large POI Database from 920/930 units^^^

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y6EYUBQI
^^^810 Large POI Database from 920/930 units^^^

In each zip file I have included both "crpoi.dat" 129102 KBand "poi.dat" 189547 KBfiles.

Keep in mind that if you have map 810, you cannot use the 815 database since they are in different formats. Also, if you have map 815, you cannot use the 810 database. The 810 database will work with maps 810 and under.

The 815 database is only smaller in size (megabyte wise) because TomTom used a new compression method. You are NOT getting a smaller list of POIs.

These files are huge compared to mine and I have the 815 database. It can't just be a different compression algorithym. They must contain more info than the ones I have. Is the map download different for the 720/730 units than for the 920/930 units?

These files are huge compared to mine and I have the 815 database. It can't just be a different compression algorithym. They must contain more info than the ones I have. Is the map download different for the 720/730 units than for the 920/930 units?

Yes, that is most likely. The 920 files are usually more detailed than the 720, etc. Take a look at the size of the map files for the various units, from the tomtom website (select different gps devices to show the different map sizes, on the map download page)

I know that the 720 units have the 2GB version of the North America map. The "2GB" is named to reference the unit (720) with the internal memory of 2GB and not the size of the map.
The 2GB unit may have a smaller poi.dat file.

I know that the 720 units have the 2GB version of the North America map. The "2GB" is named to reference the unit (720) with the internal memory of 2GB and not the size of the map.
The 2GB unit may have a smaller poi.dat file.

Map sizes for the NA 2GB map are as follows (some show 2 maps!):
920 - North America map = 1691.6MB and 1551.5MB
720 - North America map = 1691.6MB and 1551.5MB
930 - North America map = 1691.6MB and 1551.5MB
730 - North America map = 1551.5MB
940 - North America map = 1691.6MB and 1551.5MB
740 - North America map = 1551.5MB

Note the 720 has the larger map of the 9xx, but the 730 and 740 has the smaller map.

All info from this page....
http://www.tomtom.com/products/maps/select.php?D=1043&Language=4&P=4594

It told me I didn't have enough space to copy the files over. I guess I will be needing a SD card after all. Is a 2GB the common size most get?

For a 720? I'd go for a 4-gig sdhc card and if you have firmware 8.3, you can go higher than that. A 2-gig wouldn't make much sense since the map itself is about that size.

For a 720? I'd go for a 4-gig sdhc card and if you have firmware 8.3, you can go higher than that. A 2-gig wouldn't make much sense since the map itself is about that size.

But dosen't it have 2gb of internal memory? So the added 2gb card will be just for the extra stuff.

It's a bloody squeeze getting the NA map on the internal 2-gig as it is. It's doable, but for the price of a 4-gig these days, I'd go for it.

Bet you once thought the hard drive on your computer would never get full, either. :D

It's a bloody squeeze getting the NA map on the internal 2-gig as it is. It's doable, but for the price of a 4-gig these days, I'd go for it.

Bet you once thought the hard drive on your computer would never get full, either. :D

Are you kidding me. My first hard drive was 30mb, and I thought that was HUGE. DOS based, a few years before Windows was introduced.

I just ordered a 4GB Sandisk for $11.

Do I move the map over there, or keep that on the internal?

Personally, when I upgraded to the 810 map, I just installed it on my 4-gig sdhc card. No hassle. TomTom will 'see' the map on the card, no problem.

Are you kidding me. My first hard drive was 30mb, and I thought that was HUGE. DOS based, a few years before Windows was introduced.

I just ordered a 4GB Sandisk for $11.

Do I move the map over there, or keep that on the internal?

Just so I can win.... ;-) I remember, back in 1969, the first hard disk, on a Univac 1108, being a magnetic drum that was the size of a horizontal fridge at the Canadian federal government. No idea of the price and can't remember the capacity or model number. I can also remember magnetic disks stored in a one foot high cake box that you could insert and remove back in 1974.

Personally, when I upgraded to the 810 map, I just installed it on my 4-gig sdhc card. No hassle. TomTom will 'see' the map on the card, no problem.
You guys here in TTF (like you and sageuvagony with the large POI DB!) can come up with so many ways to use up my TT's 2GB of storage! I bought a 4GB SD also and now use that for all my maps and this large POI DB. Twelve bucks! Works well.

One question, does using an SD card make any performance difference on the TT as compared to the Internal memory?

-Frank

One question, does using an SD card make any performance difference on the TT as compared to the Internal memory?

-Frank
Granted, I've only used Class 6 cards, but I've seen no performance difference at all, and like dhn, I have my maps out on the SD card.

Ask a Question