Does the Go 910 have limits on numbers of POIs?

As an aside, this may interest you.
To get round the limitations of 5000 geocaches on the GPSMAP 62S, I have a plan, that should work. (just did a brief test)

I will download the GPX files to the memory card on my Samsung Galaxy S5.
With a simple £3 ($5) OTG cable, I can connect the 62S to the S5 and delete no longer required GPS files from the 62S and copy over the next batch, using the built in file manager on the phone.

If you can get the OTG cable to work for you, more power to you! Carrying extra caches on a separate uSD card (or even maps!) can be a nice way of solving problems.
Just be sure that you stuff your *.gpx files into a matching folder called Garmin/GPX (case sensitive) on your uSD card, same as you would if using internal.

For your big trip, you can also slide a free map onto your 62S if you have enough memory. New *.img files can be stuffed into the Garmin folder on the uSD card. If you haven't tried http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php for building maps for vacations, it's pretty nice. I just built a full set for taking me from Florida all the way around through the Panama canal and up to San Diego later this year, pulling tiles as needed for each country we will visit along the way. If you have any questions about that site, just ask.

thanks for that. yes I use that site. As it happens the email telling me my USA tiles were ready to download came in just before the notification of your post.
Appreciate the info though, as it is too good a site to not know about.

@cadtenchy

Item 3. GSAK does not create the TomTom icons you will want for caching. Once you have all of your caches assembled into a single database, you will want to filter (using Search / Filter / Other) into multiple *.ov2 files to separate cache types. For example, you may well want filter for and export separate files for traditional.ov2, multi.ov2, virtual.ov2, earth.ov2, etc. I am attaching the *.bmp icons that you would need to associate with each so that the cache type is correctly indicated by the icon. These are 25x25 'transparent' icons that should work just fine with your 910.

Anything you can describe about the nature of your trip and your prior experience with GSAK will help me get an idea of what to advise.

As to your original question, 8000 is a piece of cake, even for an old 910.

Well I got as far as item 3 here, and filtered etc, sent them all to the tomtom, but all cache icons show as a red square? :-(

Well I got as far as item 3 here, and filtered etc, sent them all to the tomtom, but all cache icons show as a red square? :-(
No need for the macro.
You just need to place an appropriate matching *.bmp file over there with the *.ov2. The red box is a default.

For example, if you have a file called traditional.ov2, you will want it to be accompanied by the matching gc.com icon and call it traditional.bmp. They get uploaded in the same way the *.ov2 files do to your unit, and is why I supplied them in an earlier post.

No need for the macro.
You just need to place an appropriate matching *.bmp file over there with the *.ov2. The red box is a default.

For example, if you have a file called traditional.ov2, you will want it to be accompanied by the matching gc.com icon and call it traditional.bmp. They get uploaded in the same way the *.ov2 files do to your unit, and is why I supplied them in an earlier post.

I downloaded the icons you posted above, and used the browse box on the export screen for each type. Checking the drive on my Go 910, a OV2 and and BMP file for each one. But icons showed as a red square as said.
On the the PC they show as the icon with the red BG.

You should try the macro though, as it's a damn site faster. No need to filter, export, re-filter, export.
Just run.
Must have been 10 times faster, probably 20x faster actually.

Truth to tell, I'm using my own macro to accomplish all of this - no manual filtering. I do it weekly, and figured that in the amount of time it would take to write and debug a macro, I'd still be time ahead in a couple of months, and never have to worry about making any silly mistakes. Mine does a cross-compare of my requirements with a friends, and creates unique POI for ones we both need (with the standard icons), ones that only he needs (modified as bright green) and ones only I need (modified as bright red)!

I have no idea if you're into that sort of thing, but I'm attaching the macro so you can see what's possible. It's human readable text.

Attachments

• Modified GSAK Weekly.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 239
that's very interesting actually, thanks.
I do some coding, so not too scary, though it looks to rely on databases that are already created and have certain settings?
Also the areas?

this could be something I could develop once the trip and post trip activities are spent.

Yes. I've already set up a number of different rectangles to cover all of my area of interest. The other thing you need to know about gsak is that you can save the configuration of nearly all of the function screens. Those must be saved and referenced. Personally, I would prefer passing parameters along with calls, but in this case, I think Clyde actually did it right. For some screens, the number of variables is SO huge that saving a screen already set up and named is the easier approach vs. passing dozens of parameters for a single call. It did take a bit of time to get accustomed to that approach. The several databases are created once manually (but empty) at the beginning. They get filled with the PQ calls to gc.com and the various manipulations that occur after that.

When it's all said and done, I have one database that is exported in the old Mapsource format and is sent to my GPS, and several *.ov2 files for the TomTom. I then take the Mapsource file and open it, and plan the route for our next trip.

Ask a Question