910 disconnected during update. Now unit doesn't start again

While updating the tomtom 910, it got disconnected because the holder was damaged appearantly. But now the unit seems to be corrupted, because it won't start anymore.
Somebody has any idea how to get it working again?

I've tried this several times, but without any result. It still keeps automatically rebooting while starting up. So, appearantly something is damaged in the startup files.

Ah! That's new information. It does at least start the power on process as contrasted to being completely dead.

Do you have a backup of your unit's contents? If so, use Explorer to copy the file mapsettings.cfg from the backed up map folder to the specific map folder on your unit. Try that.

If you don't have a backup, use Explorer to view the contents of your unit. Look in the specific map folder for the file I mentioned above. Delete it. Disconnect the unit PROPERLY from the computer. Restart it. Does that help?

Sorry, I don't have the info 1st hand myself, because my brother did this update on my fathers gps without me. I just heard about it this morning. And instead of buying a new one, I first want to try to revive this one :)
So, the unit starts and on the step it has to load or show the map info it stops and automatically reboots. They were doing a map upgrade when the gps fell of the pc cradle. So indeed there is a chance that this cfg file is corrupt. I'll try to check what you said this evening and come back to you with the results.
thanks for the reply.

I checked the gps, but the file you mentioned "mapsettings.cfg" cannot be found in the files and folders.
I executed a "clear flash" as mentioned on the tomtom website. I also reinstalled the map update but till without any result.
The device starts, after beginning screen I see the next screen (blue) with the info if a gps signal is found. Immediatly then the gps reboots. And everything starts again.
Is there a way to reinstall the boot files? Or does there exists any debug applications to check this?

I've disabled the hide system files on my pc, and now I saw this cfg file. I have deleted it as you suggested and then disconnected via the home application.
I rebooted the gps, but the problem stays the same. It keeps looping in the reboot.
I also have 73 files in europe and western map.

What needs to be done is to have a way to reinstall the boot files. Can I find these files on the tomtom site or another support site?
Can I find somewhere the files that are consulted during the boot procedure?

Extra info of above, when I deleted the map cfg file, it was not automatically created again after the reboot.

If you delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, those NOT in any folder and do NOT delete any folders or their contents, then you've removed the application from the unit.

Then, if you connect the unit to the computer and start Home, Home should offer the application. Accept it and install.

But, before doing anything, PLEASE make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents.

Thanks, I'll try this tonight and let you know. So if I understand well, the home application detects what's missing and can repair this (normally). So I don't have to find seperate software to fix it?
If it doesn't work, maybe I can film it and put the link from youtube here.

Thanks, I'll try this tonight and let you know. So if I understand well, the home application detects what's missing and can repair this (normally). So I don't have to find seperate software to fix it?
If it doesn't work, maybe I can film it and put the link from youtube here.

Yes, home will detect key missing files in the root folder, and will resinstall the entire application all over again. The application includes many files in the subfolders, but the absence of key files in the root folder will be enough to cause a reinstall of everything.

Before you start, you may want to run a chkdsk /f /r on the tomtom drive to make sure the hard drive filesystem wasn't corrupted by the premature cable pull.

I removed the files as suggested.
Now the problem is that west europe isn't recognised anymore as chart, even not after reinstalling that chart. I only can select america.

You have a Western European folder AND and a USA& Canada folder on your unit???

When you use Explorer to see the contents of your unit, is that what it shows?

Try a reset on the unit.

Ask a Question