Backup of GO 910 lasts too long (or maybe it doesn't?)

After managing to solve the GO 910 problem, I thought it wise to back the GO 910 up.

I used the backup option of the TomTom Home software and the newly acquired TomTom USB Home dock.

However, the backup does not seem to progress. After I start the backup, it hangs for a very long time (30 minutes or so) in the "Scanning device..." phase. After 30 minutes of waiting, I just stopped the backup.

How long does a normal GO 910 backup take? Is it normal that the scanning phase lasts this long?

f

I think its quite long. Pin reset your device then try the backup again. Aside from TT home backup, I still make a complete hard disk copy via windows explorer (except for mp3 and photos).

I think its quite long. Pin reset your device then try the backup again.

Has resetting a device ever helped anything except if the device hung for some reason? And especially the devices that have a hard-disk inside them.

Aside from TT home backup, I still make a complete hard disk copy via windows explorer (except for mp3 and photos).

Why?

f

Do it again, and let it finish. The 910 10 takes many times longer then the 510 and others with 1 gb cards. The 910 usually has at least 7-8 gb loaded on it. The backup takes much longer. Mine takes close to an hour.

Has resetting a device ever helped anything except if the device hung for some reason? And especially the devices that have a hard-disk inside them.

I have use TT home 2.x's backup option many times already and there were instances that it took not only munites but hours and showed only "Scanning device". I tried cancelling, disconnecting and reconnecting the device, and even rebooting the PC but encounterred the same problem. After Pin resetting the device then the backup went fast.

Because TT home doesn't seem to do a complete backup. Secondly, there are a number of threads wherein users are complaining that restoring from TT home backup doesnt work.

Don't use HOME to back up your 910.
Use windows Explorer and copy all your contents of your 910 and copy them to a backup folder manually.
I've done this on my 910 with 2 North America Maps, Europe, Guam, and Canary Islands and the Text to Speech Voices. It was faster than using HOME.

1. Using the famous paper clip to reset the device does solve several problems from Ipod Connectivity and TomTom Player to blue tooth problems. It is much like disconnecting the power from a cpu to allow it to "clear its memory":) .
2. The backup using explorer is faster and I do it this way on a regular basis. In fact it is the only way I back up. Sort of cuts out the middleman I suppose.

Ask a Question