.CHK File

Hi All..

I have a TT XL IQ Routes and notice that if I look in the root of the device folder, I can see quite a few files with the suffix .CHK

Windows thinks these are file fragments - are these safe to delete?

I'm right on the limit of space on my device, and want to free up anything I can ...

Volume in drive E is INTERNAL
Volume Serial Number is 6F0E-CBBD

Directory of e:\

03/08/2010 08:12 1,373,748 data_im2.chk
03/06/2009 11:47 1,032,911 data_is2.chk
03/08/2010 08:12 5,119,621 data_lim.chk
03/06/2009 11:47 3,208,207 data_lis.chk
03/08/2010 08:12 67,472 data_ra.chk
03/08/2010 08:12 12,251 data_sp.chk
03/08/2010 08:12 347,573 data_ts.chk
03/08/2010 08:12 5,934,941 data.chk
8 File(s) 17,096,724 bytes
0 Dir(s) 8,060,928 bytes free

Do NOT delete those files. In the Windows' world, the chk extension means recovered file fragments BUT tomtom's app is linux based and the chk extension means something else entirely.

Delete those files and your unit will not work.

These files are important to the TomTom, if you delete the files the device will no longer work, remember the TomTom is using Linux so Windows can get confused at some of the file types so it stupidly suggests to delete them - Leave it alone, if you need to free up some space how many files are in the voices folder as some of these can be pruned - Mike

How much space do you need?

It looks like you've got about 8MB spare and that's plenty if all you want to add are some POI files etc.

And there's no way you can free-up enough space to add anything big like another map.

One of the support pages on tomtom.com said to delete everything but the map files now I can't get mine to update or run. When I update it says cannot delete e:\data.chk

Use Windows Explorer to open drive e with the TomTom connected to the PC and switched on, you should now see lots of folders and files, one of the files will be data.chk select it then hit delete, if that doesn't work right click the file and choose "ReName" change the file name to Old_data.chk so the device won't see the file then try to re-install everything - Mike

Assuming you have a full backup of at least the map folder then next step I would try is right click the drive letter associated with the TomTom and select Formt. NOTE this will wipe everything off the device so you will need that back up to get it running again, this should eraze the errant file though - Mike

Got past the actual errors by switching to another computer but now I'm back to the problem of being stuck on the start up screen which then goes all green when I try to turn it off.

Also just noticed that when I turn it on it first goes to the screen of the tomtom plugged in and shows the disk symbol and bar across the bottom then goes to the start up screen (if not actually plugged in)

What Tomtom model do you have? If you're not sure, can you post the first two letters of your serial number on the bottom?

It sounds like either your internal memory went bad, or you've got drive-corrupting software. Giving us your model number will help us recommend next steps.

Ask a Question